S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

soft top help with robbins install

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default soft top help with robbins install

alright guys i have a 01 and purchased and installed a robbins stayfast cloth glass upgrade top. i have a few questions/ issues. hopefully somebody can help me out with.

1. where the top meets the front windshield bar on the corners. the new top does not have corners cut like the oem to slip over the bar. how are you guys fastening this- double tape, contact cement???

2. where you have the velcro and rib piece that supposed to go over bar 4 and under bar 3 then attach the rib to bar 3. Does somebody have a picture i can reference to make sure i have this right. from the looks of it the rear bar{4} just hangs out by itself???

3. i have not reinstalled the interior yet, but does the glass just rest on top the rear shelf when top is down, and/or if somebody has a video of how the glass folds correctly that would be awesome.

4. i noticed my frame is catching the tops of the rain rail drainage catchers when moving up and down( note i did have the frame out for some other work) any ideas on that.

any and all help is appreciated guys. trying to make sure this is all correct before i reinstall the interior.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

postman,

1. The Robbins top does not need the tape to install correctly. Fold the side flaps over the metal frame first. There is a notch towards the top of the flap that sits where the frame goes from the fat area to the thin front area. The rubber guard can be screwed down over the flap at the top to secure it. There is a bit of edging that hangs out about 2 inches that gives you a place to pull to tighten it up as you're screwing the rubber piece down. You can cut the excess of that off later. The very top flap of the new top just gets secured down with the metal retaining bar. The top should overhang the corners of the top frame by about 1/8" when pulled properly. I use the edging of the top as a catch for the frame.

2. The 4th bow just hangs out by itself as you mentioned. You shouldn't have to unvelcro the new top at all except to maybe straighten it. The whole flap goes over the 4th bow and attaches to the 3rd bow. Sorry, no pics.

3. The glass does more or less just rest on the rear shelf. The front actually never makes it all the way down as it gets kind of wedged along the back of the roll hoop area. Don't forget to remove the center two studs for the tonneau cover as they won't let the glass go all the way down.

4. Not sure on this one. Can you post a pic? The rain rail should hang over the drainage area and the top of it should get smashed back into the frame of the car once the metal retaining plates are fastened down.

Good luck.

-Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 PM

thanks. im gonna mess with it later. see what i come up with. the frame hitting drain catcher has me confused to. maybe ill make a youtube video for ref.
what had me concerned was the 4th bow rubbing the top as it goes up and down. particularly the rib holder piece on it. thought about foam taping over it for safety

Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 PM

ok the reason the drain is cathcing in because where the bracket and 2 pain in the ass screws are. the material is down to lowr for the foam covered screw.the plastic piece they sewed into the top is literally bigger than the square area for that spot. i had a heck of a time with them. almost seemed like there was too much excess material. should i trim this somehow. worries me as the 1 seam runs into that spot/

also noticed on that edge i have like a 4" tail of seam hanging off. can this be cut off with out causing fraying or rips.