S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

How many yrs do brake pads last? 14 yrs?

Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Pads don't go bad from age like tires do. But you will want a good high temp brake fluid for your track day. You will surely burnish those pads into the rotors during your lapping day at some point if your pushing the car, and as a result they may likely feel a bit more initial bite for a wile after the fact. Probably a good thing if the car hasn't been driven much. If you feel up to it after your brake fluid change, you should go out somewhere safe and do multiple consecutive hard brake checks from 60-70mph down to 5mph engaging the abs hard. Do this 4-5 times in a row until you feel the brake pedal start to get soft. This will burnish in your pads to the rotors before track day. Just make sure you get plenty of drive time before you park the car after this, letting the rotors cool off, or they can warp. Do not use the E-brake either, just put the car in gear. Using the E-brake will clamp the rear pads and cause that area to cool off slower, also resulting in warped rotors- Especially important at the track.
If you do this, be sure NOT to come to a complete stop during the process, or for a while after when the brakes are still hot. Junky mentions to brake down to like 5 mph, which is what you want to do. I just want to emphasize how important it is not to come to complete stop. So plan this out so you are aren't likely to be forced to stop.

If that happens though, stop short so there is room in front. Then inch forward slowly. The idea is not to sit with pads on same spot on very hot rotor.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
Thanks for all the responses!! Good to know that the original stock pads are probably perfectly capable still on the streets as pads don't age much in "years". I did already order some Ate Type 200 DOT4 fluid and planning to flush the brakes/clutch soon. After thinking about it more based on your response, I will most likely order a set of new pads (was considering the PMU HC 800's) and hoping to be ok using them on stock rotors. I may also replace the brake lines soon too, just because of the age and to be on the safe side. Again, at least for now, not planning to track every month, just 2-4 times a year, and for now just planning to get some practice driving within the limits of the equipment I have.. assuming it can survive reasonably well. I am using Bridgestone Re-71r summer tires on stock rims (was actually fine staying on the smaller stock wheels/tire sizes for now as bigger wheels/tires increases the wear and demand on the brakes/suspension/drivetrain and whole system.. but I'm sure I will eventually want to upgrade to larger wheels/tires ).
Stock rotors are actually a bit better than aftermarket because they are slightly thicker, IIRC.

Scuff off the old pad material with garnet paper. Bed in the new pads before tracking it.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got 67K miles and 13 years of heavy autocross use on the original pads and rotors. Rotors look great, no grooves, warping or funky wear. Like others have said, I would not use them for a track day.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Still on my original pads from an '00, works fine.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still on my original pads on my MY00. 40K miles, mostly city driving. No track days. Still plenty of life in the original pads. Tires - I think I'm on set 4 or 5 and need to replace them again before Winter rains.