S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Lowering Springs/Shocks Question

Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering Springs/Shocks Question

So there I was pushing my stock shocks to the limit on a set of TEIN lowering springs 1.5in and then it occured to me; I dont like how high the front sits, lets cut one turn and BAAM, shock busted, now, I dont wanna get into a debate on why is it wrong that I cut the lowering springs since Im planning on cutting the other side and even it up, I just wanna know, how can I choose the correct shock for the set up Im going for (~2" drop)? And what options do I have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think if you just get koni yellows it would just compensate for all your fudge upness, unless cutting them throws off the spring rate to some unproportional torched skunk 2 spring level
Old 12-14-2015, 03:50 AM

Thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Debate or not, there is no "correct" shock for what you are doing. If you goal is only lowering, I would just get the cheapest shock you can find. I like Konis too because they can handle the spring rates and have a lifetime warranty. However, at 2" lowering, you will be sitting on the bump stops with konis.

For you, that may not matter though.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Debate or not, there is no "correct" shock for what you are doing. If you goal is only lowering, I would just get the cheapest shock you can find. I like Konis too because they can handle the spring rates and have a lifetime warranty. However, at 2" lowering, you will be sitting on the bump stops with konis.

For you, that may not matter though.
There is 2"drop lowering springs, so there is a set of shocks for it, I just need to find it. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

Lol. You sound so sure that there IS a shock for 2" lowering springs.

If you can find a shock that has a shorter body than stock, with more capacity...then maybe. Good luck.

Koni yellows are NOT what you want. They have less available travel than the stock rear shocks. Stock rear shocks have external reservoirs. Konis dont. In'it?

The stock S2000 monotube shocks are going to give you the most travel. You're just lowering it too much on springs that are too soft. But...you're going to do it anyway.

There's a reason there aren't many (any?) reputable manufacturers that make 2" lowering springs for the S2000, Your best bet is to buy an affordable set of full body adjustable coilovers for street use. But...that's around $900,and you're probably not going to do that either.

So use stock shocks. They will work the best for your proposed setup that everyone except you thinks is a bad idea.

What do you mean the shock busted? What did you do?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 355 Likes on 330 Posts

pillow ball top mount extension
Old 12-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Lol. You sound so sure that there IS a shock for 2" lowering springs.

If you can find a shock that has a shorter body than stock, with more capacity...then maybe. Good luck.

Koni yellows are NOT what you want. They have less available travel than the stock rear shocks. Stock rear shocks have external reservoirs. Konis dont. In'it?

The stock S2000 monotube shocks are going to give you the most travel. You're just lowering it too much on springs that are too soft. But...you're going to do it anyway.

There's a reason there aren't many (any?) reputable manufacturers that make 2" lowering springs for the S2000, Your best bet is to buy an affordable set of full body adjustable coilovers for street use. But...that's around $900,and you're probably not going to do that either.

So use stock shocks. They will work the best for your proposed setup that everyone except you thinks is a bad idea.

What do you mean the shock busted? What did you do?

Shock leaked all the fluid out, it couldnt handle the drop, so I have to look for alternatives, Im just running stock set up on front at the moment until I figure out what shocks will work for me. I emailed a Koni dealer and according to him Koni Yellows can handle a 2" drop, if he gives me a "money back" warranty I will try them...
Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

Again...Koni yellows have less travel than stock. IIRC, Koni recommends a max drop of 35mm. Thats 1.38".

Most shocks can "handle" a 2 inch drop. The issue is suspension travel when you hit a bump. You will be riding around on the bumpstops mostly. Stock rear shocks will have more travel than Koni yellows.

Your stock shock did not blow out and leak out all the fluid because of a 2" drop. It likely did because you cut the spring while it was still on the shock and you damaged the shock rod. Or you damaged it with a metal tool. Sound familiar?
Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

B serious is on the money here. I have Koni yellows and with a 3/4" drop I was almost on the bump stop in the rear. I had to mod the shock cap and bump stop.

With a two inch drop, you will be sitting static with a mostly compressed bump stop. Then you will just max the rebound to control the bounciness and you will effectively made a rigid suspension vehicle.

If you are really after a 2" drop, x2 ball joints or RCA should add some drop with completely compressing the shock.