S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Best matching of spring & sway bar?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best matching of spring & sway bar?

Hi guys,
I am having an 07 s2k. The last owner of my car put on some lower spring in the car which I don't like, those spring will cause rub of my fender.....
I am look for a good matching of the spring and sway bar for track day use, I heard someone use the CR's spring and sway bar, but i am not sure if there is a better option.
And i also saw some articles about all 255 wheels set up, not sure that is good or bad?

I don't have enough money to afford an coilover, that's why I am looking for different stock spring rate set up....

I am not native speaker, sorry for my grammar.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Get the stiffest springs you can live with. Then tune balance using the sway bars.

But figure out what tire sizes you want to use first.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:03 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not sure you will find a good selection of stock mount, most springs seem to be for coil-overs.

The spring, shock, and tire need to be a compatible combination (the tire acts as a spring and damper itself).

Your questions is: what is your budget, how much of the work will you do yourself, and what will you use the car for.

A square 255 setup is used in the STR autocross class and needs 17x9 rims with +60 to +65 offset . 245/255 is used in the B/Stock autocross class. with the 245 squeezed on the narrow stock wheel. Both use large front bars, bars larger the Eibach and some other aftermarket bars, both to re-balance the car and to keep the inside rear wheel on the ground (the S2k stock rear differential will spin the inside wheel if it has no load). B/Stock needs stock springs, STR uses aftermarket springs that are stiffer but not outrageous, about 2.5x stiffer in the front and 2x but with shocks calibrated for that.

A set of 255/40 tires and wheels will run at least $1200. The base Bilstein PSS system is about $1100. But just using stock springs and anti-roll bars (which are actually quite good on street with stock sized tires) is cheapest.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

What's your budget?

I have an '07 as well and was considering springs; after doing a lot of research I realized that most springs were developed for the AP1 and they don't match well to our shocks.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
The spring, shock, and tire need to be a compatible combination (the tire acts as a spring and damper itself).
While you aren't wrong, you forgot to mention the most important thing about tires.

Their width...

He needs to figure out what width tires he wants to run before he makes any other decisions.

255/255 square is a popular and fast setup. But do you know what's faster? 255/265. Do you know what's faster than that? 255/275. Do you get my point? Figure out the WIDEST tire you want to fit under there and THEN figure out the rest of your suspension.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shind3
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1429358620' post='23582676
While you aren't wrong, you forgot to mention the most important thing about tires.

Their width...

He needs to figure out what width tires he wants to run before he makes any other decisions.

255/255 square is a popular and fast setup. But do you know what's faster? 255/265. Do you know what's faster than that? 255/275. Do you get my point? Figure out the WIDEST tire you want to fit under there and THEN figure out the rest of your suspension.
I just reread the original post. He can't afford coilovers but wants to raise the car back. He uses it for track days. I'm not sure he has his budgets worked out since track days are expensive.

The short answer is CR springs/bars would be better than non-CR pieces, but they aren't cheap and will probably have to be purchased new. They, as will coilovers, will bump the car out of stock solo classes.

Best budget bet is probably a revalved Bilstein PSS. They won't be adjustable but then neither are NASCAR Sprint Cup or F1 cars. The NASCAR cars use shocks that are basically the same on the inside. But then He will probably want to add a large, adjustable front bar. The revalved Bilsteins will keep the car tied down on the track and the adjustable bar will allow to car to be balanced to keep the back behind the front.

While a twitchy tail can be managed on the street and may even be fun (as long as you don't have to explain why spun your S2000 on the street while you weren't even going fast) or even an autocross, it can easily cause a wreck that will total the car (not to mention the driver) on a road course. As someone who has flipped on three occasions on road courses (in SCCA Showroom Stock events in the 1970s, Lime Rock's downhill and zig-zag straight and Bridgehampton's downhill), the high speed on a race track isn't something to take lightly. Loss of control can have big penalties, especially in a unibody street car.