S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Need help with brake feel

Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by xDoodles
Please bare with me as I am still a noob about this. So the S was purposely designed for the brakes to feel more "natural". Why is that? I just want to learn why it's designed and built that way so I can understand the car more.
Think of power steering. The more assist you add to steering, the more numb the steering becomes and thus it is harder, in track and aggressive driving situations, to know what the front tires are doing. That is why so many race cars have historically had little to no power steering. The same sort of thing applies for brakes. A lot of brake boost can numb the feel of the brakes. In competitive/track driving scenarios, smooth, accurate modulation of the brakes is critical to being fast, and being able to be as mechanically connected to the brake system as possible helps with this.

Traditionally, when autocrossing or racing on a track, the least amount of brake boost and power steering assist you can deal with, the better. More modern systems have gotten better at providing more assist without sacrificing more feel, but outside of more expensive systems, the "old" way is likely better. You have to keep in mind that street cars are designed for the average joe blow that probably is not experienced in performance driving, is likely someone distracted, and treats the brake pedal like an on off switch. So that is what the systems are tailored to, for good reason. The S was pulled more in the direction of a true sports car.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really appreciate the two post above. ^ You guys confirmed what I thought about the design of the brakes when I first started question the braking ability of the car and me as a driver. Another question to the ones that have spoon calipers. Are those worth it? I'm not going to buy them, just wanted to see what people's opinions on them.