S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?

Old 06-20-2019, 02:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I've tried my HOS MI21 on the track and they feel fantastic.
Have to make some adjustments to the rear shocks since the car feels a bit stiff in the rear and it almost felt like I loose grip when turning hard at high speeds.
I have them set on 15 clicks all around with the factory springs.

I can't really compare them to my KW V.3 since I've changed both the power output a lot, the rear brakes, aero and tire size and tirebrand since last season.
But even so, with the original factory springs the car feels and drives great.

New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?-dfjmm5k.jpg
The following users liked this post:
SakeBomb Garage (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Appreciate all the positive comments on our kits in this thread! We do want to say we have a package already up on the website. You can get the kit with the 10kg/8kg springs here or upgrade to 12kg/10kg!

SakeBomb Garage Ohlins S2000 Package includes FPSpec Lowering forks and Remote Adjusters.
https://www.sakebombgarage.com/s2000...ote-adjusters/

Additional upgrade available for a higher performance spring rate at an additional cost.
KIT INCLUDES:
  1. OHLINS MI21
  2. FPSPEC LOWERING FORKS
  3. FPSPEC REMOTE ADJUSTERS

Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I always questioned my numbers because a number of these brandname coilovers comes out of the factory sitting on bumpstops pretty much... It appears i'm not crazy after all, lol... props to Ohlins for publicly including these kind of information and actually doing real r&d testing.
question is why did the original Ohlin designer set it up with only 5mm of travel in the rear before hitting bumpstop, that seems insane for an Ohlin product !
i guess they are shock body length limited with the way the bottom mounts are made.

anyways, does anyone have a shock dyno graph of these new shocks? I would love to see them to see what damping ratio they valved it for.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by AlpineFD
I always questioned my numbers because a number of these brandname coilovers comes out of the factory sitting on bumpstops pretty much... It appears i'm not crazy after all, lol... props to Ohlins for publicly including these kind of information and actually doing real r&d testing.
question is why did the original Ohlin designer set it up with only 5mm of travel in the rear before hitting bumpstop, that seems insane for an Ohlin product !
i guess they are shock body length limited with the way the bottom mounts are made.

anyways, does anyone have a shock dyno graph of these new shocks? I would love to see them to see what damping ratio they valved it for.
I think the issue was the engineers in Sweden needed to make a number of conflicting compromises. They had to hit price points, and comfort levels so the car would be useable on the street. With an 8kg rear spring and the stroke limitations, you either need to increase pre-load (giving up some droop travel in the process) or increase spring rate. When you increase preload you raise the height of the car, which then requires you to go lower into the cup... but you hit the internal limit of the cup. Hence, our billet pass-through lowering cups

Not only do our custom made cups allow you to preload as much as you need, they also allowed us to create a completely new variant called our FPSpec Long Stroke Ohlins (albeit, at a much higher price point)... but that additional room for shock body into the cup allowed us to fit a physically longer damper in there!

Lowering Cups ("Low Profile Forks") -> https://www.sakebombgarage.com/fpspe...ng-fork-s2000/

Accessory Pack + MI21 (optional tuned spring rates) -> https://www.sakebombgarage.com/s2000...ote-adjusters/

FPSpec Long-Stroke DFV's - Custom made -> https://www.sakebombgarage.com/fpspe...ins-dfv-s2000/

The Ohlins hardware itself is phenomenal... if we felt Moton, AST, etc had better hardware we'd build our custom kits around those components. It just so happens that we feel Ohlins has the leading edge in suspension technology, and our SCCA/NASA and other world race series wins prove that. Ohlins will succeed or fail based on their setup (so would any suspension) and the magic is in the valving, rates, setup etc... this is where S2000 suspension experts like ourselves come in. Our background is in motorsports chassis dynamics, and we've been able to fine tune the standard Ohlins kits with custom accessories, cups, spring rate options... and then max out the DFV's themselves from a hardware sense with our custom valved bespoke FPSpec Long Stroke versions, floating top hats, custom valving with improved race-grade shock oil etc.

If you have any questions about standard or bespoke Ohlins DFV kits, please feel free to email us: Info@SakeBombGarage.com

Cheers!
SBG

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 06-24-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased the MI21 kit shortly after they were released with the 11KG/7KG spring rate. Contacted Sakebomb and per their recommendations and what i was going to do with the car I went ahead and upgraded the rear spring to 9KG along with adding the Rear lowering forks, and Remote adjusters. Thanks to them car feels and reacts perfect to my taste.
SakeBomb Garage (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jasserv
I purchased the MI21 kit shortly after they were released with the 11KG/7KG spring rate. Contacted Sakebomb and per their recommendations and what i was going to do with the car I went ahead and upgraded the rear spring to 9KG along with adding the Rear lowering forks, and Remote adjusters. Thanks to them car feels and reacts perfect to my taste.
Love hearing this, glad your car is reacting exactly how you would like. Ohlins is our bread and butter and everyone here wants their car to act to their driving style. So, we've spent a lot of time and R&D in understanding how to make that happen for everyone.
jasserv (07-24-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I have the FP Spec Longstroke Ohlins and they are absolutely amazing. I personally think they're worth the upcharge over regular Ohlins and are probably my favorite thing on the car at this point.
SakeBomb Garage (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Sponsor

We appreciate this! You're a champion!

Originally Posted by roel03
I have the FP Spec Longstroke Ohlins and they are absolutely amazing. I personally think they're worth the upcharge over regular Ohlins and are probably my favorite thing on the car at this point.