S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

SBG rear RX-8 caliper BBK installation issue

Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Actually, looking closer, that appears to be the passenger side mount that's been flipped to fit on the driver's side. If you look at the picture from your manual in my OP, you'll see the mount shape is opposite.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Thank you for replying and posting that picture. For what it's worth, I sent you multiple unanswered emails over the past several weeks before updating this thread.

It looks like what you've done there is tacked the mount on top of the stock mounting location rather than through it (you can see the stock mounting slot underneath) so that it can be twisted upward to avoid the gusset. That's a good (and rather obvious, in hindsight!) idea. I'll give it a try next time I'm under the car.
This is simply how our customer came in. Looked like it fit, fine so we didn't think too much of it to be honest... snapped a pic to document and finished up the rest of the work on his car

We've got reduced staff and more work than we've ever had during the shutdowns, so our ability to get back to emails has been significantly diminished... we're in Triage mode right now. Hopefully things will slow down sometime soon
Old 06-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
This is simply how our customer came in. Looked like it fit, fine so we didn't think too much of it to be honest... snapped a pic to document and finished up the rest of the work on his car

We've got reduced staff and more work than we've ever had during the shutdowns, so our ability to get back to emails has been significantly diminished... we're in Triage mode right now. Hopefully things will slow down sometime soon
Understood. As I mentioned it appears he's got the passenger side mount installed flipped on the driver's side, and I assume vice-versa.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 AM

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance...but the reason for the rear upgrade is to get the rear vented rotor to fit (and 2 piece rotor)?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:52 PM
Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk101
Sorry for my ignorance...but the reason for the rear upgrade is to get the rear vented rotor to fit (and 2 piece rotor)?
Correct, the RX8 caliper is needed because the throat of the S2K caliper is designed for a solid (non vented) rotor which has no ability to cool itself. This is why we see so many rear hub replacements on S2K's here but zero on RX8 and FD RX7's, the vented rear works amazingly well - as well as added benefits for rear brake performance obviously.

We make two kits, the sprint kit which uses a mustang rear rotor, and our 2 piece competition rear which uses our own directional curved vane two piece rotor for further improved cooling. https://www.sakebombgarage.com/s2000/brake/ Both utilize a RX8 rear brake caliper retrofit and retain stock ebrake functionality.