S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Training Wheels Alignment

Old 05-24-2019, 03:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Training Wheels Alignment

So I just purchased a 2002 s2000 that has the following done to it.
Eibach front sway bar.
245/40/17 Continental Extreme Contact tires at all 4 corners.
Spec R springs on stock shocks.
This is my first foray into RWD although I've done hundreds of AutoX and 20+ track days in FWD (Prelude)
I'm getting an alignment next week and want to know everyone's recommendations for a good first starter alignment specs
to help neuter the dreaded snap oversteer while I get the hang of the car.
I know it will come at the expense of rotatability but for now I just wanna get the hang of it
at a few AutoXs at the most.
Is this basically what the UK alignment specs are for?
What are your recommendations?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Redludesh
So I just purchased a 2002 s2000 that has the following done to it.
Eibach front sway bar.
245/40/17 Continental Extreme Contact tires at all 4 corners.
Spec R springs on stock shocks.
This is my first foray into RWD although I've done hundreds of AutoX and 20+ track days in FWD (Prelude)
I'm getting an alignment next week and want to know everyone's recommendations for a good first starter alignment specs
to help neuter the dreaded snap oversteer while I get the hang of the car.
I know it will come at the expense of rotatability but for now I just wanna get the hang of it
at a few AutoXs at the most.
Is this basically what the UK alignment specs are for?
What are your recommendations?
Having a bigger front sway will do more for you than anything....and snap oversteer basically comes down to driver mod. It's just part of the car for the most part AND I think it has been very overblown.

Front: Max front camber, 0 toe, Max Caster
Rear: .5° camber less negative camber than front, .24" Toe in.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Snap oversteer is the world's longest running excuse for bad driving habits. People spin "unexpectedly", and are in some sort of loser denial that they were the ones behind the controls. I would put the idea that a car oversteers in its own out of your mind.

The factory alignment spec has been analyzed and analyzed by very smart people. Start there and then customize to your own liking afterwards.

There isn't any magic to it. You try things...some work...some don't. Baseline starting point is irrelevant. Stock is probably a good place to start though.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Yes the AP1 oversteers easier, but like anything it is all about driving habits.

They make a bumpsteer kit for the rear. If you intend to autox though ,be aware that it is not an allowable mode for any street or street touring class.

You can run a bit of toe in on the rear to help with it a bit.

Big front bar (Moddiction/Gendron etc sized) helps

But mainly, work on smoothness and not lifting when you should not be. Driving mine for one season in B street made me noticeably smoother as a driver, and once you learn its habits, you can use them to your advantage to rotate the car.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank for the recs.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snap oversteer is only a thing if you let it. my MY01 is my first time with RWD coming from a mini cooper and a civic si and i was quite worried about oversteer as well. i purchased the car in the winter right before a good snowstorm, i had old bald all season tires and decided the snow would be fun to go learn in. the car was not some undrivable mess. yes i was sliding around every turn but it felt very controlled and yes i got stuck on a slightly inclined parking lot. i live in the seattle area so rain is kind of a constant here... yes the s does not like the rain one bit, but it does give plenty of feedback before sending the rear out and even then it almost pulls strait by itself as long as you do not lift.

i think where most people get the snap oversteer is trying to accelerate onto a highway with a curved on ramp. if you try to quick shift at redline while turning you will have a bad time. any lifting while turning will make the car want to oversteer so WOT to 9k then 0 throttle while shifting while turning.

my tips, expect to go sideways if you are being stupid, in the rain, in vtec. if you expect it and dont panic you will be fine. stay smooooth on the throttle! no lifting no mashing the gas.

Did i mention do not lift?