S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Upgrade brakes and suspension - Mods for brakes and suspension

Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

*general supporting information...
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
It's not something you just bolt on and "go faster." Takes quite a bit of seat time to dial in a new set of dampers. Typically 1-2 track days if you're pretty good at feeling what's good/bad and can turn consistent laps.

Thus you really can't do a good A/B comparison.

And read my post again, there really isn't going to be much lap time difference between something like an Ohlins DFV and even something like a lowly Tein Flex Z at the same spring rates once both are dialed in. There is more of a laptime difference on tires than small differences on dampers as long as they're not complete trash (like a Megan Racing or something like that).
Totally agree.

I have been on mid level buddy club race specs for years and have felt no need to move to a different damper. They have a great value to me because they are stout/reliable with a ton of trouble free miles and have a damping range that can effectively control 10-14k spring rates which my car is set up around. The single adjustable controls both compression and rebound so there is the ability to tune to the track and street. I think the DFV could be a good option ias well for some if they can appreciate a little more street refinement/compliance and willing to see that as justification to spend another $600 or what ever it is (Buddy Clubs approx $1400)

Id appreciate a double adjustable option since I am experienced enough to actual know how to dial them in, but many aren't and its just more opportunity otherwise to screw up the ride further and spend more money. So value from a dolor vs performance standpoint isnt there for me really with the only real affordable option being KW v3 and they have proven to be more fussy/less reliable then what im on currently.

The main meat and potatoes of picking out a new coilover, should be matching the spring rate to your adhesion/tires you plan to run to get the most out of them, so either out of the box, or a damper that has the ability to be flexible in that regard where there is a range of spring rates you can use without custom valving them. If you have to custom valve them, consider that in the value/cost and then decide what the maint/rebuild intervals are going to be/reliability etc... get a broad sense of where your money is going and what your going to use the car for. Ive got over 100k miles on my buddy clubs, haven't rebuilt them yet. Could probably benefit at this point, but there are no weeping and still feel good/control, so easy to just keep riding them out as long as they will keep going. Talk about value!

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-14-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
*general supporting information...
It's the popular internet brand/application, and they do perform well. Combine the two and lots of people will say they're the "best."