S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Do people ever ask you why you put on that "wing"

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe the airflow is moving so fast and efficiently through the center of the window/wing area nothing hits the back window? Either way, living in Oregon, I noticed that shortly after I bought the car. You don't have to be moving fast for that phenomenon to happen either. 35mph +/-
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

This characteristic is normal on a lot of cars, with and without wings. It has everything to do with how the air travels over and around the top of the car.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RylisPro
Originally Posted by spets' timestamp='1308433287' post='20696427
Air goes under and over the wing... no bubble/vortex.

You were probably just driving too fast for the water to hit the glass
I was going about 60-70 mph in pouring hard rain downhill coming home from Reno when I saw this phenomenon happen.
I doubt it was just pure speed preventing water hitting my hardtop glass
maybe the air flowing over the hardtop and wing prevented the water droplets to land?

the center portion of the wing looks like it channels a lot of air under it as well
I read that the CR has a slower top speed but is faster in the corners because of the wing as stated in Car & Driver tests
psychoazn has pics where the wing caused his trunk to be mis-aligned
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/863...nd-trunk-info/

You are probably right about the no bubble/vortex though, like I said I'm no aerodynamics expert
bottom line is the wing works, Honda designed it and I like it
I can promise you the top speed isn't any lower

Also, the twist in the wing is placed EXACTLY where the airflow from the top/sides meet at the back of the car. I had an opportunity to drive at Auto Club Speedway in semi-rain/wet conditions, which left some lines on my hardtop. The lines started from the front corners, and slowly go inward, and if you were to extrapolate the lines, would meet up exactly where the twist is.

Thus, the AOA is rather aggressive, but the chord is pretty small....
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

^ A lot of race teams will sometimes just put dabs of oil on the roof, rear window etc, go out for a few laps, come back in and see where the oil moved to. That is a low tech way to track and see how the air is flowing over the roof etc.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty68
Originally Posted by Orpheus' timestamp='1307482863' post='20658808
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1307481893' post='20658738']
^^^couldn't say any better

It actually looks good!
People are just stereo typing " oh it's a Honda with a big wing"
so, let me summarize: some cr owners still don't like the wing (saying it's "ricey"), but most do.

but if the CR wing is okay, then what's wrong with driving around with a big aftermarket Voltex wing? both are functional, and in fact, the Voltex is even more functional.

my argument is that "ricey" should be equated to "poseur"... but stuff that's functional shouldn't be subjected to criticism. as for the next argument that "you don't need a wing to drive on the street", well, you don't need a sports car to drive on the street either. nothing wrong in having more performance than you'd use.
a CR wing is no way "rice" since it's oem. same goes for jdm. Voltex can be "ricey" to some but isn't rice since it is functional. unless its on a fwd vehicle then it's rice.
[/quote]

Why is it rice just because its FWD? Please don't tell me you are one of those guys who think a properly sized spoiler on a FWD is useless. When some thought is put into it...its functional. Look at Rado's TC
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmTheRealAsif
Originally Posted by scotty68' timestamp='1308477180' post='20697411
[quote name='Orpheus' timestamp='1307482863' post='20658808']
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1307481893' post='20658738']
^^^couldn't say any better

It actually looks good!
People are just stereo typing " oh it's a Honda with a big wing"
so, let me summarize: some cr owners still don't like the wing (saying it's "ricey"), but most do.

but if the CR wing is okay, then what's wrong with driving around with a big aftermarket Voltex wing? both are functional, and in fact, the Voltex is even more functional.

my argument is that "ricey" should be equated to "poseur"... but stuff that's functional shouldn't be subjected to criticism. as for the next argument that "you don't need a wing to drive on the street", well, you don't need a sports car to drive on the street either. nothing wrong in having more performance than you'd use.
a CR wing is no way "rice" since it's oem. same goes for jdm. Voltex can be "ricey" to some but isn't rice since it is functional. unless its on a fwd vehicle then it's rice.
[/quote]

Why is it rice just because its FWD? Please don't tell me you are one of those guys who think a properly sized spoiler on a FWD is useless. When some thought is put into it...its functional. Look at Rado's TC
[/quote]
Haha I guess it works, but I'm not sure if any of us would want to rock a couple wings front and rear to achieve the desired downforce on our street vehicles.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM

^his car is AWD

LOL@ FRONT SPOILER
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 AM

Nearly every modern road car design these days creates significant lift in motion. That's just a fact of life given the constraints put on most designs by most mfgs. Many of the sporty cars out there have well designed aero devices, passive and active to increase downforce front and rear. The S2000 is among those cars. Both the front bumper/splitter and rear wing contribute significantly to increased downforce while adding very little drag.

THAT is the real trick. Creating downforce is pretty easy, but doing so without increasing drag much is not so simple. Adding working side/rocker panel and lower rear under bumper diffusers, as well as a more effective/lower front splitter (lowering the car slightly) can go a long way toward improving what is already a pretty good aero package on the CR.

Notice the air NOT going under the wing even at the raised center section. instead, air is direct to the side and over the more raked section of wing creating downforce while maintaining rearward visibility.Note this was done with the hard top off and tonneu cover in place. The cover does make a difference too.

And no, I can't say where I got this.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Air does go under the wing, just not air from that sampled vertical frame of reference
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty68
^his car is AWD

LOL@ FRONT SPOILER
It wasn't in the past

Quick Reply: Do people ever ask you why you put on that "wing"