S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Oil Catch Cans

Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Cans

Just wanted to see if those of us who are tracking our CR's are having to use a catch can yet because of the blow by causing the puff of blue smoke on the right handers. I purchased the saikou michi dual catch can for the S2000 and found it filling all the way up after one session. It was filling so quickly that it was causing me to creat white smoke during up shift and if in nuetral when the PCV goes into vacuum. This is a closed system and wondering if it works properly on a NA motor.

Set up is PCV to catchcan to intake manifold and other can is vent case valve to catch can to the intake. Don't understand why it seems like the system is under vaccum all the time and may be actually sucking oil from the PCV, when it should just be capturing vapors. Any help or known other systems would be appreciated if you can share.

I took it off on the second day and my car ran normally again, no white smoke and just luckily didn't get yellow or black flagged at the one sweeper where I creat the the blue smoke again.

Thanks for any information you may have.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The PCV is well, a check valve. When the throttle is open, I'm thinking the CV will be open as well, thus causing the vapors to exit out of the valve cover and into the intake manifold. If you're WOT a lot and you're getting some oil kind of shooting all over the place inside the engine, plus add in the additional crank pressure at WOT, you're probably sucking in a lot of oil during runs. All that oil gets tossed into the catch can and suddenly your catch can is full. The best way to deal with this is to run the two lines coming out of the valve cover and into the catch can, then vent it to ambient. Cap the intake manifold and intake arm up and you should be good to go. If you want to be super cheap, just unplug tube to the intake manifold and cap the intake manifold inlet.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, thats what I thought I needed to do, introduce ambient air and get a catch can with a filter on top. Yeah I was told I could either clamp the hose line from the pcv to mainfold or remove and cap them both while on track. I always do things the right way so I will look into a different catch can. Now to see if anyone is looking for an inexpensive dual can for a FI system.