S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alarm, trunk release, and locks not working

Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm, trunk release, and locks not working

I have an '02 s2k. I bought it used. The person who had it before me had an aftermarket alarm system in it. They removed the alarm system before selling it. Now, my remote won't arm the alarm, unlock/lock the doors, or release the trunk. Does anybody have any idea what could cause this and how to fix it? I'm assuming it's something simple like plugging a cable back into the cpu or something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll bet it's not simple.

Installing an alarm requires lots of wire cutting and splicing, as the alarm must take over control of all the circuits you just described. I doubt the previous owner took the time to re-wire everything back to stock (obviously he didn't or it would be working). There is no easy "plug" to put together to fix it - Honda didn't wire the car to make it easy for after-market installers. the wires are different wire bundles in various places around the car.

I'm afraid you're going to have to either buy an electrical troubleshooting manual and spend a weekend digging under the dash or pay for a professional auto installer to repair it.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dia_cero2002,Jul 11 2006, 12:58 AM
I have an '02 s2k. I bought it used. The person who had it before me had an aftermarket alarm system in it. They removed the alarm system before selling it. Now, my remote won't arm the alarm, unlock/lock the doors, or release the trunk. Does anybody have any idea what could cause this and how to fix it? I'm assuming it's something simple like plugging a cable back into the cpu or something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
There's another thing to check:

When you go to leave (or enter) the car and open the door, do you hear a chime (or beep) that stops only when the door is closed? Is the key out of the ignition when the beeping occurs, or does it only happen with the key in the ignition?

Some people (myself included) have or had sticking ignition locks that think the key is still inserted in the ignition and the door chime goes off whenever the door is opened. If you have this problem, it may be an explanation why your Honda keyless entry isn't working.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM

Maybe check the battery in your remote? Maybe also check the fuses? Does the trunk release in glove box work? Troubleshoot from simple to complicated, might be simple.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by rworne,Jul 11 2006, 11:33 AM
There's another thing to check:

When you go to leave (or enter) the car and open the door, do you hear a chime (or beep) that stops only when the door is closed? Is the key out of the ignition when the beeping occurs, or does it only happen with the key in the ignition?

Some people (myself included) have or had sticking ignition locks that think the key is still inserted in the ignition and the door chime goes off whenever the door is opened. If you have this problem, it may be an explanation why your Honda keyless entry isn't working.

This happens to me at times. Nothing consistent but the car still thinks the key is in the ignition and the remote won't work. It goes away when the car figures out the key is no longer there. It took several days once.