S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 02-11-2021, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toecheese
Wow (facepalm)- it never even occurred to me that there were mounting holes on the headunit, I went right for the stupid sleeve.

Would you mind sending me your .stl file? I'd like to print out a set,
Hey. I've been away from my workstation. I'll get you the file a bit later today
Old 02-13-2021, 05:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentS2k
Hey. I've been away from my workstation. I'll get you the file a bit later today

No rush, whenever you can I'd appreciate it. I reinstalled with the stock mounts and they work pretty well, but I'd like to try yours and maybe customize them to bring the radio forward enough to keep the factory radio and vent trim piece without the door attached.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:43 PM

No rush, whenever you can I'd appreciate it. I reinstalled with the stock mounts and they work pretty well, but I'd like to try yours and maybe customize them to bring the radio forward enough to keep the factory radio and vent trim piece without the door attached.
Try this one, but it may not fit your unit. The stock bracket didn't work for me because the holes didn't line up. Can you do me a favor - can you take a picture of the side of yours? Mine has only two holes 20mm apart, so I want to see if it's different on yours (maybe because I have a pretty old unit). Thanks!

Btw, I only designed the right bracket and I just clone and print it mirrored.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
LBracket_V2.zip (36.3 KB, 33 views)
The following users liked this post:
SaucissonMaster (08-11-2023)
Old 02-16-2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by AgentS2k
Try this one, but it may not fit your unit. The stock bracket didn't work for me because the holes didn't line up. Can you do me a favor - can you take a picture of the side of yours? Mine has only two holes 20mm apart, so I want to see if it's different on yours (maybe because I have a pretty old unit). Thanks!

Btw, I only designed the right bracket and I just clone and print it mirrored.
Thank you for this, your brackets look like they will do what I want - bring the headunit forward enough to keep the radio trim piece without the door.

My headunit is the same as yours - two holes, 20mm apart. When I mounted using the stock bracket I only used one hole.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:49 AM

My headunit is the same as yours - two holes, 20mm apart. When I mounted using the stock bracket I only used one hole.
Hah, I didn't even think about mounting using the single hole. I guess if all you have is a hammer 3D printer then everything looks like a nail can be printed.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Looks like they are making face plate for the S2000 double din now...May be the kit will fit with this Android JUN unit? (NOTE: This is NOT mine!!! I'm just passing on the info!)

Honda S2000 - 1 of 1 Absolute Electronix Dash Kit Installation - YouTube

All Parts are available from Absolute Electronix! https://www.absoluteelectronix.com/
Dash Kit Part Number: AETB12

The following users liked this post:
timg (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 03:35 PM

I've now tried three different mounting options.

Option 1: AgentS2K's 3D printed brackets (thanks again!). I like this the best so far. Brings the radio forward enough to allow for keeping the radio surround and vent bezel (without the door).

Option 2: I took AgentS2K's bracket design and tweaked the length to make the radio sit as far back as possible (this is the same position you get if you use the original metal radio brackets, but the 3D printed ones have the hole locations adjusted for the Joying to allow using both mounting holes - and also you don't have to deal with the little metal bumps on the metal bracket that don't line up with the Joying and cause you to have to sort of bend it into position).

This option has the advantage of offering the most distance from the gearshift, and the screen is recessed so it doesn't protrude from the dash at all. Also offers a little more shade on the screen when the top is down. The disadvantage is that it does not use the radio/vent trim so you can see the bare dash opening (really not that noticeable from the driving position (first picture below), but terrible if you look at it straight on (second picture below)). I may revisit this one if I ever feel like designing a 3D printed trim surround to fill in the dash gap.

Option 3: I designed a 3D printed bracket that slips into the slot on the folded down radio door. Advantage is that it is much easier to use the radio with the screen angled, requires no removal of dash trim, and you can still close the radio door if you park and remove the screen (for whatever that is worth). Disadvantage is that it was pretty close to the gear shift. Didn't interfere with shifting but it did block screen viewing. Also I discovered that the screen became almost unreadable in the sun with the top down.

The following 2 users liked this post by toecheese:
AgentS2k (02-22-2021), mikeyds (04-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I was in my S2000 earlier today. I printed out a template and I suspect the Stinger Elev8 will fit the same way as these Chinese HU. I'm likely going to buy one, but I don't know which car it will go into. I have three potential candidates where I think it would fit and I could use the digital out direct to a DSP. I'll mock it up in all three. My S2000 is my second choice. If that falls through, I will likely consider the AETB12 kit. My current Eclipse headhunt is awesome, but is very dated. It treats an iPhone like a CD changer... I don't really want something visible, but it would be nice to have something from the last 15 years.

Tim
Old 03-21-2021, 05:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silenc3x
Just tested wired android auto. Downloaded the Android Auto app on my phone, then opened up Zlink on the Joying unit. Connected immediately and works flawlessly.
See video. I also took a phone call on it without a problem. But I can test something else if you want me to try something specific.

I was also able to bind the CH button on the dash to function as mute. So the only button I can't bind is the actual mute button on our cars. Not a big deal. All others can be custom set right on the head unit, in combination with the ASWC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVfN0gAdlQ

Nice! Sorry for being away for so long. Love what everyone's been doing with these! I do wish I could get the soft keys off the top and to stick to the far left side in vertical orientation - with being LHD it'd be far more convenient. I'm also still debating picking up the newer version with the SIM card for true "always on wireless" instead of pairing my phone, or whether I should bite the bullet and get the Pioneer https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WT7600NEX and seeing how it goes. Bit more expensive but wireless AA sounds awesome, and I'm thinking I can use Modifry's Dash Controls again for Pioneer to get full function back including the mute button. But it's taller, so wondering how it'd mount in the end.

Call it picky, but I also like how the Pioneer could customize the LED colors to match the S2000 interior And offer basic things like radio for when you're in the middle of nowhere.

What do you guys think? Bite the bullet and go for it???
Old 03-22-2021, 01:31 AM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
Nice! Sorry for being away for so long. Love what everyone's been doing with these! I do wish I could get the soft keys off the top and to stick to the far left side in vertical orientation - with being LHD it'd be far more convenient. I'm also still debating picking up the newer version with the SIM card for true "always on wireless" instead of pairing my phone, or whether I should bite the bullet and get the Pioneer https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WT7600NEX and seeing how it goes. Bit more expensive but wireless AA sounds awesome, and I'm thinking I can use Modifry's Dash Controls again for Pioneer to get full function back including the mute button. But it's taller, so wondering how it'd mount in the end.

Call it picky, but I also like how the Pioneer could customize the LED colors to match the S2000 interior And offer basic things like radio for when you're in the middle of nowhere.

What do you guys think? Bite the bullet and go for it???
I really doubt that thing will fit in our cars properly. If you want to bite a bullet buy the SIM card version of the JOYING and pay for an extra sim card on your mobile plan. It's terrific.

And if you do manage to fit it in there, it won't look as good as the Joying unit given the space required. It's taller and not as wide. We have a set area to work with, unless you try some other, less traditional way to mount. That Pioneer is 1280x720. 16:9 aspect ratio. The Joying unit is 1280x480. It's like a super wide screen compared to a normal TV set. This Joying unit size is really the first size to come along to perfectly fit our cars. That Pioneer is just a standard sized screen. If you pull up the dimensions on them both it will back this up. But you can tell just by looking at them.

I don't think we all chose a random chinese brand for any other reason than it fits perfectly and does exactly what we want. I would have bought a Sony/Pioneer/Philips/Alpine whatever if they actually made something like this. They don't. This size is not common.

Also, you can save spotify playlists straight to your unit, for those exact times when you don't have service. Just click the download button at the top of the playlist. Or just fill up some USB flash drives with songs. I haven't listened to radio in years. If I did, I would pay for XM or Sirius most likely though.

I'm pretty much a cheerleader for this dumb company at this point. But I really do like it. For so many years of ownership I imagined having a full android tablet built in like this. I even had that shitty JVC single din navigation back in the day. Garbage UI and clunky af, but it was nice having maps. Now I have a 9 inch android tablet in my car. My recommendation: Erase all traces of Joying and their UI, and starting fresh with android making it exactly how you want it. Not many head units can offer that for our cars.

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!