S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

just wanted to say 93 'til infinity is one of the greatest hip hop songs of all time
The following users liked this post:
Paul464 (12-28-2020)
Old 09-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
just wanted to say 93 'til infinity is one of the greatest hip hop songs of all time
Yes, great song.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blade954
Hi,

thanks for sharing this. Looks great and must be powerful enough as a good android tablet.

Do you think the screen ribbon is long enough to install the screen on a modifry bracket perhaps and then reinstall the original door to cover the naked unit?

thanks in advance for your reply.
Now there's a grand idea! They have units with even larger screens too.

Based on pictures from joying's website that ribbon cable appears to be a standard 40 pin IDE, used for disk drives in older computers. Those come in all kinds of lengths.

I don't have one of these units so I can't say for certain, but it sure does seem like your idea could be made to work, even if the cable it comes with is too short!

The image from Joying:

Standard IDE cable:

Last edited by mikeyds; 09-16-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This makes me curious about the possibility of fitting an alpine Halo 9 in there
Amazon Amazon
It would probably look ridiculous, though.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blade954
Hi,

thanks for sharing this. Looks great and must be powerful enough as a good android tablet.

Do you think the screen ribbon is long enough to install the screen on a modifry bracket perhaps and then reinstall the original door to cover the naked unit?

thanks in advance for your reply.
So, I decided to be a guinea pig and test this.
The result is so-so. The modifry dash is not strong enough for this (tbh, it's kinda weak to hold just my phone, it vibrates a lot w/o providing extra support). It currently sits on two magnetic mounts, one of which is bolted to the modifry bracket. Seems stable, but not a long-term solution.

On a related note, to stock cable length is enough to reach the modifry bracket and a bit more. It's definitely an older 40-pin IDE cable. To reach the other end you'd have to disassemble the unit though.
The system can learn stock audio controls, but it's buggy at the moment. Haven't played enough with it to find a stable setting. I'll start clean tonight and add them one by one to see if maybe one button causes issues or something.
The following users liked this post:
mikeyds (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Please keep us updated on if you get the stock radio controls working properly.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Everything except 'mute' works. Mute also kinda 'works' but somehow requires a double-click and causes the unit to randomly turn off the screen after other buttons, so it's best to avoid letting the unit learn that 'mute' button.
One annoying thing about the unit is that it has a severely limited Bluetooth stack, so internet sharing over bluetooth is impossible. Couldn't get Android auto to work either. My main phone is on Android 9, and won't connect to the Zlink app on the radio. My old phone is on 7.0, it does connect, but the Android Auto on the radio just quits when I try to launch Waze on my phone. Oh well, not that big of a deal. Picking up some USB LTE dongle, hopefully it'd work with the radio, cause manually sharing my phone
s internet via WiFi every time would get annoying.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info on the controls. Let me apologize if this is a stupid question, but did you end up hard wiring the Joying or did you buy a aftermarket harness to get the controls to work. If you used an aftermarket harness. where did you get it. Second, how do you program the Joying to learn the control buttons?
Old 10-19-2018, 06:22 AM

Programming looks mostly like parts of this video

I did get a Honda pigtail harness (Metra 70-1721 or Scosche HA08BCB) and spliced it with the supplied unit's pigtail, which has two wires for keys to be learned that I routed into pins 3 and 14 (this one doesn't seem to work for me).
Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

The S2000's mute switch provides +12v, while most aftermarket headunits expect the mute button to switch
to ground. You can *probably* get the mute working by using a relay to switch the signal from +12v to ground (-12v).
See: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/con...g-polarity.asp

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!