S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oth
The S2000's mute switch provides +12v, while most aftermarket headunits expect the mute button to switch
to ground. You can *probably* get the mute working by using a relay to switch the signal from +12v to ground (-12v).
See: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/con...g-polarity.asp
Not sure that'd work. This headunit should have no problem learning that if it were the issue.
I think the unit expects signals to look like button presses - a quick change in voltage that then goes away quickly and the 'mute' button by itself doesn't do that. Which explains why it works with a double-click. I'm sure one can whip up something that would give a pulse with every mute button action, but it seems like overkill. A double-click would be good enough for me if it wouldn't cause any other issues. I think I have an idea why my screen is dimming - I might have mis-wired one connector, will double check later.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:54 AM

I have *some* foam behind there for my phone. Not the modifry one. How dense is it?

Anyway, I fixed the wiring glitch, but that didn't help much in terms of OEM audio controls performance.
Basically, the system leans button presses based on inputs on both wires. So if you learn Vol+-,SRC, CH buttons with mute off and then press mute once, the prior three do not work. This happens regardless of whether you learn the 'mute' button or not.
What's even worse, is that the light switch position seems to affect the mute wire voltage (one value with low beams or side-markers on and another value if everything off), meaning that if you mapped your buttons in your garage they won't work at night on a highway.
So, two options:
a) Wire the #14 wire, map buttons with lights on and accept that they won't work w/o lights or markers on. And you can use 'mute' as a double click
b) (untested but I guess it'd work) Do not connect #14 wire at all. You'll lose mute button, but all others will work consistently.
UPDATE: tested by cutting #14 wire. Works as expected.

In general, I think I'm gonna try to return the unit. It's just too weird. I was basically hoping for either a working Android Auto or a decent Android tablet with a connection to car's speakers and an DCI, which would automatically connect to internet off my phone (or on its own). In reality it's a so-so tablet with lots of functionality cut out that could only get internet via WiFi sharing (that I'd have to enable manually). To get USB LTE adapters to work you'd be investing a lot of time into rooting/flashing etc. Android Auto didn't work on my Android 9 or 8 phones. It did connect on 7.0, but died every time I tried launching Waze. And the way it uses to connect to the phone (USB with a requirement to have 'USB debugging' enabled) just feels incredibly unsafe from a random internet-connected hardware.

I think I'd be happier with just a regular bluetooth/usb headunit and my phone for navigation.

Last edited by dsgerbc; 10-20-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: tested b)
Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oth
The S2000's mute switch provides +12v, while most aftermarket headunits expect the mute button to switch
to ground. You can *probably* get the mute working by using a relay to switch the signal from +12v to ground (-12v).
See: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/con...g-polarity.asp
Have you tried what someone in the earlier post suggested? Wonder if that would be the magic pill to solve all the issues. I was really hoping someone was successful getting this head unit to work.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by slam126
Have you tried what someone in the earlier post suggested? Wonder if that would be the magic pill to solve all the issues. I was really hoping someone was successful getting this head unit to work.
I didn't. I can see this maybe solving the headlight on/off calibration issue, but not the other one. It'd still require a double click.
OEM mute is not a button, but a switch. I don't think this unit is equipped to learn switches. D/k, maybe if enough people request it they might whip up a new firmware. I'm sure it's possible to wire some timed relays or something to convert OEM switch into pulses that would trick the unit.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM

Well, good news is that I'm probably keeping it for a few months.
Bad news is that customer service from these guys is laughable. They want me to send the return to China for $70, declare a $40 value, and to pick up the tab if it gets lost/stolen/damaged in transit.
Lol, it's been a while since I shopped for some crazy cheap Chinese shit, forgot the service it usually comes with

First order of business is gonna be a custom firmware and an attempt to either make bluetooth tethering work or to get it to recognize my LTE USB stick. Thankfully there's plenty for these units over at xda-developers or 4pda.ru.
Won't happen for a few weeks though.

I'd also like to run a longer IDE cable and mount it just above the speedo bezel. Any ideas on a mount?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Haha, I still have one of their 10" headunits in a box from something I wanted to try. The 10" unit may fit almost perfectly when removing the AC vents. It'd require cutting a bit of the leather on the center console (not visible) from where it's pinched near the head unit housing.
This may be a better solution than it possibly being too tight of a fit.

If you do decide to bail on the purchase, I may be interested in buying it. I'll probably end up selling the 10" considering this requires no extra work, haha.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.

Last edited by JS2k.com; 10-23-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 PM

On a second look, the cable connector is not IDE, it's thinner and a bit shorter. They sell their own extension, but I'll try to find some equivalent.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Deckoz, how do you power the phone device?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the 7in Joying head unit and installed it yesterday. So far I really like it, basically it runs just like an android tablet so I was able to download songs from spotify without having to use an external device which is what I was really looking for.

A couple notes to anyone thinking about buying one:
Make sure the model ends in P4 not PX5, there are two manufactures for Joying and the non P4 ones don't have fast boot, is a bit more glitchy and lacks support from the XDA community if you want to install a custom ROM.
I live in NC so I put an extra heat sink in the unit attached with some thermal adhesive at the recommendation of folks on XDA (super easy to do but voids the warranty). Otherwise the unit might slow itself down to deal with the heat in the summer.
Instead of getting a harness to work with the dash controls I paid $20 for the wireless controls Joying makes, a wireless adapter has to be wired into the head unit (not the car) but it has a wheel for volume and some buttons you can custom map any controls you want. Seems to work well and its nice not needing to reach down and touch a volume up/ down button all the time.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmdel
I bought the 7in Joying head unit and installed it yesterday. So far I really like it, basically it runs just like an android tablet so I was able to download songs from spotify without having to use an external device which is what I was really looking for.

A couple notes to anyone thinking about buying one:
Make sure the model ends in P4 not PX5, there are two manufactures for Joying and the non P4 ones don't have fast boot, is a bit more glitchy and lacks support from the XDA community if you want to install a custom ROM.
I live in NC so I put an extra heat sink in the unit attached with some thermal adhesive at the recommendation of folks on XDA (super easy to do but voids the warranty). Otherwise the unit might slow itself down to deal with the heat in the summer.
Instead of getting a harness to work with the dash controls I paid $20 for the wireless controls Joying makes, a wireless adapter has to be wired into the head unit (not the car) but it has a wheel for volume and some buttons you can custom map any controls you want. Seems to work well and its nice not needing to reach down and touch a volume up/ down button all the time.
Awesome. Post some pics when you get a chance!

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!