S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 11-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally I planned to mount the screen with the modifry dash bracket and some thick foam from a yoga block but with the steering wheel controls I actually don't mind it in front of the shifter. I think it may be too bright/ distracting at night if it's mounted by the dash but I may test it.
Im not sure how OP got theirs to fit with the radio cover unless they did something to make the unit stick out a little more and clear the bottom lip, but mine is also 4mm taller according to the site. I'm thinking about just putting a piece of fabric behind the screen to block the mounting points (should allow some airflow too) then having another piece that I could fold over the screen if I park somewhere sketchy.
Here are some pics (and some joywave for OP

Old 11-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are < $300 with 25% for black friday, just picked one up
Old 01-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this a bit from the dead, but I noticed Sony now has a similar product. It's a bit taller (still just over 8 inches, but less widescreen in aspect), so I wonder if the fitment still clears, but the attachment seems to have a lot more flexibility in positioning than the Joying unit I installed has, including angle which has been my personal frustration as the perfect perpendicular angle of the Joying isn't the easiest to use for the s2000.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-...ers/xav-ax8000

And I suspect it'll play nicer with Modifry's DCI since he has Sony compatibility.

Anyone want to guinea pig it for us all or so I go for it? Haha
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (05-01-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
Reviving this a bit from the dead, but I noticed Sony now has a similar product. It's a bit taller (still just over 8 inches, but less widescreen in aspect), so I wonder if the fitment still clears, but the attachment seems to have a lot more flexibility in positioning than the Joying unit I installed has, including angle which has been my personal frustration as the perfect perpendicular angle of the Joying isn't the easiest to use for the s2000.

And I suspect it'll play nicer with Modifry's DCI since he has Sony compatibility.

Yes please be the guinea pig.

Note that reviews for that stereo are so-so. Resolution is dated, and the touch screen is resistive, not capacitive. Either way I'm still eyeing this one too.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 PM

these would be interesting options too but the first one's size might be pushing it, the other two would most likely work

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WT7600NEX

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-CUUghR...hoCEXgQAvD_BwE

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-XFvUut...RoCVpAQAvD_BwE
Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Looks pretty big for the S2000 dashboard. And is still just a radio.

-- Chuck
Old 04-28-2020, 11:24 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Canadian_2K

Did you ever go for it??
Old 06-11-2020, 09:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Joying product URL posted by Canadian_2K, who started this thread, is no longer working. Searching the Joying site, I see this one--wondering if this is a newer model and if anyone has tried it?

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-8-...-internet.html

Canadian_2K, what are your thoughts on your unit now that it's been over a year?
Old 06-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One other question, how easy is it do detach the screen for theft protection when parking the car on the street? Or does the ribbon cable have the kind of plastic clip that's meant to only be removed occasionally, and frequent detaching and reattaching it will cause damage?
silenc3x (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 08:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I wanted to update everyone as I installed this 8.8" Joying unit with 4G. (JY-HOS01N4GS-2). You can get it on ebay, make sure it's the very wide version 8.8" from my photos, and OPs photos (Canadian_2k). It's still being sold for around $350. Got it earlier this week.
Toecheese, it's the same model you linked.

The version I got on ebay had this clock on the right side of the screen that was ALWAYS there. But Joying offers downloads of different Android Roms so I was able to install a different Rom and get it removed.
I have a sim card in it and it works great. 4G Antennas, GPS, a microphone.... A fully functional, single-din, internet-connected android tablet in my car that actually fits well with the design? Yes sir.

The unit has a detachable screen so figuring out how to install it at an angle is the hardest part. I went with steelies, which are these magnetic ball joints. This allows me to position the screen more than a static mount would allow. I can modify the position. Theyre also rock solid once installed, and I'm using two of them on this lightweight screen. I also bought a used radio door assembly so I could use it for this head unit in particular and save my old one. That way if I need to cut anything I wouldn't care. But I didn't have to cut anything, just remove the door itself.

See my photos below. I love this unit. Android auto looks great on it. Spotify, dunkin donuts, youtube, google drive, google chrome. All look great. You can download whatever you want via Google Play store. I can order coffee from my car lol. Some apps like hulu and netflix wouldnt run for me. Although I suspect you may be able to find different APKs that are modified to support it. Other apps just look odd on the superwide screen. They are not obviously designed for such a wide screen. But most look fine. I also installed a new android launcher and ditched the Joying one that came with it, which means I could fully customize the whole unit. Icon designs, size, layout, app tray, dock, etc. Endless possibilities.

Dont mind the foam tape at the bottom. Its a temporary solution until I get some thinner tape. I just want a softer surface on the bottom of the screen than the metal.
I'm also planning on painting or using some thin tape to cover the raw metal bezel. It doesn't match anything else in the car.

travanx (06-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!