S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Changing Sub/Enclosure

Old 11-28-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Sub/Enclosure

Alright guys, as many of you know, I had a system installed about six months ago. I like everything except my sub because the bass isn't as tight as I want it, and I actually have too much bass. Now, I may be picky when it comes to stereos, as I've had a few cars and different systems, but this is the first system in a convertible. And after comparing my system to others, I noticed that many of them still have some of the same problems (bass not as tight, some rattling, some "boomy" sounding, etc.).

I was about to sell my S2K due to financial constraints, along with my stereo system, but I have decided to keep both (I love my S2K, and I need good tunes!). I did take everything out, so here are photos of my equipment.

I like my Clarion 745 HU. And the Audison powering my Focals sounds awesome (better than any other S2K I've heard yet). My MMATS amp provides 700 watts of power for my sub, which is more than enough. And as you can see from the photos, I have a beautiful ported fiberglass enclosure with a TREO 10" sub that fits in the toolwell and has a custom cover to protect it. By the way, anyone interested in buying my sub/enclosure, it's for sale (asking $400).

Now, although I like my enclosure, I would like to get something a bit smaller and something that will hopefully hit a little tighter. I'm thinking of doing a custom sealed enclosure that would fit on the driver's side of the trunk (similar to WLAURENT's enclsoures) but it would be made to hold a 10" sub.

Another member on S2KI did that with a custom fiberglass enclosure and JL sub, and he said it sounded fantastic. I have heard others with the WLAURENT enclosure and an 8" sub, and although I was impressed, it wasn't enough bass for me. So that's why I'm thinking of doing a 10" sub.

So I need some recommendations. Would this be a good set up and also what sub should I go with? I'm thinking Eclipse or JL Audio.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not know how well your midbass drivers are working, but if they provide very good midbass, then i can say that the Treo sub does not have the transient response that you are wanting.

For the quick tight bass, you're only going to find that in midbass freq. Bass (below 60hz) is going to be muddy and sloppy. it's the midbass that makes it "tight" as i'm sure u know already.

If you want that loud tight bass, I suggest you look into another driver that would play midbass freq a bit better than the treo.

Another thing that could potentially be your problem is group delay. how big is your box and what is the port tuned to? If anything, Treo subs are good, but not the kind of sub I would use in a SQ-oriented setup.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:14 AM

My Focals provide good mid bass, but obviously, not enough overall bass that I want.

I'm not sure what the stereo installer tuned the port for with the TREO. I thought he said 42hz, but I am not positive. The box is about 1 cubic foot or a tad larger, which is the correct size for the TREO.

But yes, I think I'll need a different sub for more of the loud, tight bass that I want. That's why I'm hoping to get suggestions if I do a different enclosure and sub in the side of the trunk rather than in the toolwell.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:43 AM

if it is indeed 42hz, then ouch. thats a bit high. lol. try something along the lines of 32hz. 42hz has a very high group delay.

you can always try an adire audio brahma if u need space.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:51 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

you listened to my W7 not too bad for an 8, so I say just aboiut anything JL would be good as far as sq. Now as far as a 10" in the corner that maybe a bit tricky to do but possible. You would need a shallow 10" not sure who has them that sound good
Old 11-28-2004, 11:24 AM

shallow 10" would be the Illusion Audio ND-10. that's one thing, but actually finding one is a bit tougher

a 10" IDQ isn't too bad either, but expect to lose overall output compared to the Treo.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 AM

Well, I wouldn't put it in a WLAURENT enclosure, I'd have one made. The one I saw on the forum (BadBoyS2k?), it was made to fit on the driver's side and went from the side to just about where the tool well begins, so it was much bigger than the WLAURENT boxes, but it was also made to fit a 10" JL sub.

ZSAK, your 8" sounds pretty good (still similar to mine in regards to some of the "boominess" and rattling, but overall, pretty crisp and tight). However, I would want a bit more bass than you have now...but less than I have with my enclosure.

Maybe I'll just sell my MMATS amp and sub/enclosure and just go with my Audison and Focals. They sound so good, that I don't really need a sub enclosure, but it just sounds even better when you have that extra thump. But I was impressed with how they sounded when I wasn't using the sub.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:41 AM

I would have to say go with a JL 10W7. I used to have 2 10" JL 10W3V2's and I swear that this one 10W7 puts out such a cleaner bass that the other two. I have a JL 500/1 monoblock amp that I am using to power the sub and it works perfectly. I have my sub in a custom 14 layer fiberglass enclosure and I put in a mesh vent on the drivers side in the trunk to allow more air to flow through it. This is the best sounding sub I have ever heard. I am running Boston Pro 6.5" components up front powered by the 300/2 watt JL Amp. I also have the panals behind the drivers seat Dynomated along with the trunk. There is no rattling and the sound is great with the top up and the top down. I have posted some pics sorry the quality is not that great if you want better pictures let me know and I will get some better quality pics. I would defiently reccomend the JL 10W7.

Here is the vent on the drivers side.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the pics. Other than putting an enclosure on the side of the trunk, I have considered another enclosure in the tool well with something like the JL10w7 or an Eclipse.

I don't want to make a vent into the cabin like you did (although the stereo shop did suggest that as well). But I've always liked JL and have had them in numerous other cars.

Good stuff!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 AM

I would recomend the vent it did make a huge difference. When I had the stereo first installed I didnt want the vent either so we left it out. After about 3 weeks I went in and had it added made a difference I was very happy that he did it. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Changing Sub/Enclosure