S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

DCI problem, mute broken...

Old 08-15-2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCI problem, mute broken...

hello everyone, I just got a Modifry DCI for my birthday yesterday, and I installed an alpine 9827 along with it. Now my mute button is constantly on, and my dash controls dont work with the 9827. Everything works with the stock deck, except for mute.

I searched, and I seem to be SOL on this, but maybe there is still some hope.

Everything is hooked up correctly, from the deck to the adaptor, including the DCI. The only wire in question would be the blue wire from the DCI going to the pink/black wire from the 9827. Which I assumed is the mute/interrrupt wire. Well the deck wont function with those 2 wires connected. When I cut the blue to pink/black, the deck works fine, minus the dash controls.

Even with the mute wires not connected, the DCi should be able to control the volume, tracks..etc... well that doesnt work either.

Now the only suspect thing to me was that when I had all of that hooked up, I had dipswitch number 3 in the ON position. After reading up some more about it, I should have had it in the OFF position. (since I had the mute wire hooked up) It was like that when I first turned everything on. The picture on the DCI said alpine was to have 1,2,3 in the ON pos. So that's why I had it like that

Anyhow, cliffnotes....DCI installed, Mute light constantly on, dash controls dont work, deck works perfectly. help

Any suggestions? Im guessing that just my Mute switch is blown, because the volume, and CH, and mode buttons work with the stock deck. And if it is blown, why or how? everything was wired correctly, (2 other electronically inclined people verified this for me) Is there anything that I can do to help remedy this, or am I SOL?

TIA

wes
Old 08-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The MUTE wire should be labeled "ATT". It usually is...stands for attenuate.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:47 PM

ok well pink/black wire is INT for interrrupt. Im almost 99% sure Modifry has the same deck, and in his walk-thru pics, he has what appears to be the blue wire from teh DCI going to the INT wire on the deck.

There's only 3 wires left over on the harness, which is remote, pwr ant, and INT. Im not using remote, or the ANT. Anyways, the mute button is fried and the green light is constantly on, any other suggestions?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you're not using remote?

then how the heck is the dash connected to the DCI?

It sounds like your dash controls are not even connected, and the mute circuit is still open. I think that's why MUTE doesn't even work on the head unit.

You have to connect the remote wire to the remote lead on the wiring harness of the car. You will NOT connect the DCI to the head unit with any wire OTHER than mute output. The MUTE OUTPUT (blue) connects to the head unit. The MUTE INPUT (purple) and the DASH BUTTON (green) connect to your vehicle wiring harness.

If you have a wire for REMOTE on the head unit, DO NOT USE IT. That isn't for the DCI. The DCI connects to the car, and relays commands via IR.

Now, the harnesses you get at best buy and other places do not have the MUTE INPUT or DASH BUTTON wires. Only the custom harnesses from Lucid/Modifry have that...it does sound like that's the harness you have, though.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kawshon,Aug 15 2004, 06:28 PM
, Mute light constantly on,
Ooops. This means the dash MUTE circuit is toast. Bummer.

That happens when the dash mute wire (purple on my adapter or yel/blu on factory harness) gets connected to a ground or something with a low resistance to ground (like a speaker output on the HU).

The dash mute circuit puts out +12v, so a connection to ground will fry the itty-bitty SMT transistor on the dash switch circuit board. It's most likey fixable (I've done it) but only if you're handy with a soldering iron and used to working with surface-mount parts.

I sent you some other suggestions to try, get back to me and we'll try to figure it out. From your PM the rest of your wiring sounds OK, but it's hard to tell through the keyboard.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:14 PM

Bob, email sent again

thanks

wes