S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Head Unit Advice

Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head Unit Advice

I've never really been into changing much a my car's audio systems, so I'm about as close to a noob as it gets when it comes to this.

My car already has a head unit installed, but I do not like it. It has very bright blue or red lighting, and does not interface well will my Android phone.

So I am looking at replacing the head unit. Below is the one I have my eye on.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/MVH-X560BT

I like it because it seems to interface well with iPhone/Android via Bluetooth or USB. It also has the ability to change colors so I can change it to an orange that is close to the OEM dash cluster. I plan on pairing it with a Modifry DCI.

I also want to use this (https://www.modifry.com/products/mou...vise/index.htm) with a universal phone mount.

Anyone else using this head unit? I'm guessing I will have to splice the wires because I'm sure that's how the previous owner installed the existing unit rather than using a plug and play adapter. I'd be half tempted to resplice an OEM connector back on if that is feasible/possible to regain plug and play.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my thread here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...eo-head-units/

I'd suggest using the modifry dci. Their site has links to compatible head units here:
https://www.modifry.com/products/dci...patibility.htm

I chose a head unit with a rear usb so I can run the cable to a more convenient location and close the radio door.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 AM

The unit I posted has rear USB and AUX connections. I looked at the one you posted and it doesn't seem bad, but I don't need the ability to play CD's. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
I'd be half tempted to resplice an OEM connector back on if that is feasible/possible to regain plug and play.
No reason it couldn't be done. Would probably be a better long term solution.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Yeah, that way if I decide to switch head units later I don't have to be redoing the wiring again. I'll have to see about getting a connector.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same head unit I am looking at. Should work perfect with the Modifry adapter! It's funny to me, because the last time I bought a stereo was about 4 or 5 years ago and it was MORE expensive to get a head unit without a CD player. In 5 years I think 1 CD has gone into mine. I'll be happy to get more available screen space as a trade off for something I will NEVER use again.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM

I ended up ordering the headunit and all the modifry goodies.

It'll get here Monday, but I probably won't get it installed until I get an OEM radio connector, but I will report back with a review.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

If you did not order a harness with your DCI from Modifry, either plug&play or conventional,
you should - unlike many generic adapter harnesses, Modifry's has the s2000-specific dash switch
and mute wires.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Got everything installed Saturday. So far I'm liking it, but I really need a quieter exhaust in order to really be able to listen to music. I like being able to adjust volume without needing to open the radio door. Setting the backlight color to amber gives it a very close match to the oem dash in lower light. During the day with top down it color washes out and looks red.

Also, a complaint I read in most reviews was that its almost impossible to read the display during day. This is indeed true, the gloss face plate glares very badly. I am going to try and apply a anti-glare screen protector and see if that improves readability.

My biggest complaint about my whole setup now, is the dash mount that I got for my phone. The phone holder from Modifry is great, but I chose this mount: https://www.modifry.com/products/mou...vise/index.htm

I had to do some modifying so that the radio door could open/close without hitting the phone holder, which made the phone almost angled at the passenger and too far away to read. I will probably be ordering the other dash mount from Modifry.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Mute button on the dash function with this head unit? Does it fully mute, reduce volume, or pause when connected via bluetooth and/or USB to phone/ipod?

Thanks!

-Greg

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
Got everything installed Saturday. So far I'm liking it, but I really need a quieter exhaust in order to really be able to listen to music. I like being able to adjust volume without needing to open the radio door. Setting the backlight color to amber gives it a very close match to the oem dash in lower light. During the day with top down it color washes out and looks red.

Also, a complaint I read in most reviews was that its almost impossible to read the display during day. This is indeed true, the gloss face plate glares very badly. I am going to try and apply a anti-glare screen protector and see if that improves readability.

My biggest complaint about my whole setup now, is the dash mount that I got for my phone. The phone holder from Modifry is great, but I chose this mount: https://www.modifry.com/products/mou...vise/index.htm

I had to do some modifying so that the radio door could open/close without hitting the phone holder, which made the phone almost angled at the passenger and too far away to read. I will probably be ordering the other dash mount from Modifry.