S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

HU buttons no longer work for changing/searching ipd

Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HU buttons no longer work for changing/searching ipd

i have an Alpine CDA 9887, an ipod, the ipod wire that i think i bought from alpine and the modifry circuit board thingy to use the dashboard buttons with the aftermarket radio.

let me first say that this setup used to work. the wire from the ipod to the HU is not an aux cable, its the kind that plugs into the bottom of the ipod and goes to whatever on the back of the HU. i used to be able to use the HU controls to search through the ipod and switch playlists, artists, or whatever. all was good. then one day it no longer worked and has never worked since. i have to physically unplug the ipod (the wire is run down the center tunnel under the carpet and goes into the glovebox where the trunk button is), change it to what i want to listen to and then plug it back in, which is a huge PITA considering the location and it sucks so hard when im driving. so anyways, it doesnt work anymore and i sort of suspect it may be an ipod update issue but im not sure.

it hasnt worked for like 2ish years and it has finally bothered me enough to make a thread so i hope someone can help! lol tia
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headunit you have is an awesome unit!

May be you have updated your ipod firmware, and your headunit doesnt support it anymore... you can either update the headunit firmware if there is one or just use AUX in cable...
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by etang789
The headunit you have is an awesome unit!

May be you have updated your ipod firmware, and your headunit doesnt support it anymore... you can either update the headunit firmware if there is one or just use AUX in cable...
how would i go about updating the the HU? i dont want to use the aux b/c it sounds like crap and i still wouldnt be able to use the controls on the headunit.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you powercycled the iPod? I haven't had problems with my CDA-9886 but I did have a similar problem with the iPod interface in another car.

If that doesn't help I'd suggest checking the pins on the dock connector & cable and also checking the cable on the head unit end. Seems unlikely that it would be loose but you need to rule out the basics and obvious stuff first any time you're troubleshooting anything.

Originally Posted by crdcz03
how would i go about updating the the HU?
Verify that Alpine has an update first.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

well the ipod still works in the car so i didnt think to check the cable... also, its a cda-9883 lol, i bought it like 3 years ago so i guessed at the model number haha.

also, i used to have an iphone too and that did the same thing a few days after my ipod did it. thats what made me think it was an ipod update that switched something around. i dont plug my ipod or iphone into the computer regularly so looking back i may have updated the iphone a few days after the ipod.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem when I had selected just one song; it was therefore the only song in that 'playlist', and the iPod had nothing to change between.

Ensure you have all of the songs available on the iPod screen, IYKWIM, before plugging into the HU.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to ask: Do the audio controls work at all -- with the radio or other inputs? Can you change inputs with the audio controls? Mute? You might want to start there.