S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Newbie to car audio

Old 01-11-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to car audio

Preface: I am pretty green to car audio (the most I've ever done is removing & replacing head units) but I have lots of experience with home audio (I have built speakers & amplifiers.)

I am basically looking at aftermarket options for my 2006 s2000, and I'd like to be able to do stuff in phases, to be able to tell whether or not I like a particular change, and also because I can spread the cost out over time. Here are my tentative requirements:

-I want to be able to hear everything clearly @ 70mph with the top down
-I don't need a CD player (plan to use USB/Bluetooth/FM radio)
-I want to retain steering wheel controls (so I plan to use Modifry DCI & harness)
-I don't prioritize bass, and don't plan on using a subwoofer, but I'd like to have the option to add one later

Given this list of requirements, here's what I've worked out so far for changes (by phase):

Phase 1: Replace stock HU with an aftermarket HU
Phase 2: Replace stock speakers with aftermarket speakers
Phase 3: Add trunk amplifier for speakers
Phase 4: Add behind-the-seat speakers

So basically, I'm looking for opinions on which components will meet these requirements and allow me to make the changes in that order. Here's some random questions that have come up while I've been researching this:

-Are there amplifiers that can handle speakers (4 in my case) as well as a sub?
-Is it better to have separate speaker/sub amps if I decide to get a sub at some point?
-Will the tweeters need to be upgraded if I drive them from an outboard amp?
-If so, are there any drop-in aftermarket tweeters that will keep up with an outboard amp? I am comfortable adding spacers for the woofers, but not so comfortable hacking up the tweeters in the door.

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:42 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

In general, it's a reasonable upgrade path. The only challenge is that you may choose different
speakers if you will have an amp than if you won't, as you'll need very efficient ones for headunit-only
power whereas many better speakers may actually be a downgrade without adequate power.
There are 5-channel amps if you KNOW you'll be installing a sub, but you may want to use a 4-channel
initially and add a separate sub amp when you add the sub - that way you can make sure it is well-
matched (power wise) to the sub you choose.
It's generally not hard to replace the tweeters in the doors, and I'd recommend getting a component
set with a real crossover to replace the stock woofer, tweeter, and filter capacitor.
When you do add an amp, I'd run RCAs for the four speakers and the sub at once - it will make it
easy to do the other upgrades when you get around to it, and even if you never add a sub the investment
in the extra RCAs is low compared to the labor of adding another set later. I'd also start with
a 4-channel amp even if you may never add the rear speakers as you can bridge the channels giving you
more power the the fronts - you may be satisfied with the setup without ever adding rears!
If you poke around, there are numerous threads on running wires and replacing speakers.
sample Google search term: replace door speakers site:s2ki.com
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iniamyen
Preface: I am pretty green to car audio (the most I've ever done is removing & replacing head units) but I have lots of experience with home audio (I have built speakers & amplifiers.)

I am basically looking at aftermarket options for my 2006 s2000, and I'd like to be able to do stuff in phases, to be able to tell whether or not I like a particular change, and also because I can spread the cost out over time. Here are my tentative requirements:

-I want to be able to hear everything clearly @ 70mph with the top down get a quality head unit, component speakers in the doors, & amplifier
-I don't need a CD player (plan to use USB/Bluetooth/FM radio) CDs are cool.
-I want to retain steering wheel controls (so I plan to use Modifry DCI & harness) good choice. the Modifry is the best DCI
-I don't prioritize bass, and don't plan on using a subwoofer, but I'd like to have the option to add one later a QUALITY amp & speakers will be good w/out a sub

Given this list of requirements, here's what I've worked out so far for changes (by phase):

Phase 1: Replace stock HU with an aftermarket HU yes, get a quality one.
Phase 2: Replace stock speakers with aftermarket speakers yes, get a quality set.
Phase 3: Add trunk amplifier for speakers yes, get a quality one.
Phase 4: Add behind-the-seat speakers Negative, forget behind the seat & headrest speakers. A quality set of components & a good amp is all you need.

So basically, I'm looking for opinions on which components will meet these requirements and allow me to make the changes in that order. Here's some random questions that have come up while I've been researching this:

-Are there amplifiers that can handle speakers (4 in my case) as well as a sub? yes, JL AUDIO HD900/5, ALPINE PDX-V9, are two nice ones.
-Is it better to have separate speaker/sub amps if I decide to get a sub at some point? if you're going for a boomin system, 2 amps would be better to get more power to the sub. if not, a single amp would save space & weight.
-Will the tweeters need to be upgraded if I drive them from an outboard amp? replace both the stock tweeter and mid. throw them in the trash.
-If so, are there any drop-in aftermarket tweeters that will keep up with an outboard amp? I am comfortable adding spacers for the woofers, but not so comfortable hacking up the tweeters in the door.

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HU: Alpine CDE149BT, or a lower model in the same line.
Front Speakers: Hybrid Audio Imagine (You'll need a 3/4" spacer.)
Rear: I'd recommend a sub in a small enclosure instead.
AMP: Alpine 445U bridged if you're just getting fronts, or the ones Trustd_1 mentioned if you'll be adding a sub/rear speakers.

You'll need a Modifry DCI & radio harness if you want to retain the dash controls.