S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Non Flashy Head Unit?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non Flashy Head Unit?

I'm about to purchase my S2000 (Going for 05 Grand Prix white or Silverstone) and I've been practicing/getting used to my brothers car which has a Kenmore stereo head unit. It's nice and all, but I prefer older, less flashy styles of stereos. On top of that I prefer using an aux cord (blu tooth always bugs out periodically plus I'm paranoid and see it as a "safety hazard" ya feel?). Any suggestions? I'd also want it to still fit and have the little door close. I know that EXTREMELY limits my options but whatever, might as well ask.

First forum post btw! I read these things all the time and they're super helpful.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another option to consider is to keep the OEM head unit and add Aux and/or USB capability. There are more than one option out there. I went with the Grom Audio adapter to add Aux and USB inputs to the OEM head unit. The unit connects to the CD changer input located in the trunk. I then ran the USB extension cable (or you can use a 3.5mm audio cable) through the vents behind the passenger seat to get the cable into the cabin. I placed the cable underneath the passenger seat so I can plug in USB flash drives which can be controlled from the OEM head unit. This solution kept an OEM look and no physical modifications to the car were necessary. I have been using the Grom Audio adapter for 9 years and have been very happy with its performance.

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-hon1.html
Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSM-09
Another option to consider is to keep the OEM head unit and add Aux and/or USB capability. There are more than one option out there. I went with the Grom Audio adapter to add Aux and USB inputs to the OEM head unit. The unit connects to the CD changer input located in the trunk. I then ran the USB extension cable (or you can use a 3.5mm audio cable) through the vents behind the passenger seat to get the cable into the cabin. I placed the cable underneath the passenger seat so I can plug in USB flash drives which can be controlled from the OEM head unit. This solution kept an OEM look and no physical modifications to the car were necessary. I have been using the Grom Audio adapter for 9 years and have been very happy with its performance.

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-hon1.html
Perfect, thanks. After I posted this I saw videos of people installing an aux in their oem stereo but they had it awkwardly hanging out the dash, your idea is way better.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

There are a lot of head unit options available. I personally find that the bluetooth option is awesome on my Alpine deck, I like the fact that I don't need to plug in the phone each time I start my car. If I wanted to plug it in directly, my deck also has a USB plug on the front of the unit. There are also plenty of options that will allow you to close the door.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed an Alpine head unit (called a "digital media receiver" since it does not have a CD player) with Bluetooth and both front USB and 3.5mm inputs. It's model Alpine UTE-73BT from Crutchfield (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lb34ZB...-UTE-73BT.html) and cost $100 with shipping and tax and installation instructions/harness. I purchased a separate plug-and-play harness, DCI (remote) adapter, and the speed volume control wiring from Modrify for about another $110 or so. Installation was straightforward except the Honda brackets that held the OEM radio each had a locating dowel that had to be ground off using a Dremel (easy to do). The door closes just fine. You won't find a headunit with a black and white screen like the OEM Clarion, but this one is fairly conservative without blinking lights, etc. The colors of the display and buttons can be customized to (sort of) match the S2000 dash colors.

If you really want to stick to the OEM look and feel, follow SSM-09's advice, otherwise you still have decent options out there.