S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Remve head unit but retain speakers as output device?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Remve head unit but retain speakers as output device?

Not even sure if this can be done but figured I'd ask. So my s2k is not my daily and other than an occassional meet it's rare I even spend more than 2 hours in the car at a time. I almost never use the radio/head unit in the car. I have some aftermarket unit that was in the car when I bought it.

What I'm wondering is if I can pull it out and replace with a simple single DIN pocket but still have some kind of aux cable to run to my phone so I can play music from it. I'd basically just have the speakers left over.

I don't deal with car electronics so this is very likely not possible. I'll actually be more surprised if it is possible.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Not even sure if this can be done but figured I'd ask. So my s2k is not my daily and other than an occassional meet it's rare I even spend more than 2 hours in the car at a time. I almost never use the radio/head unit in the car. I have some aftermarket unit that was in the car when I bought it.

What I'm wondering is if I can pull it out and replace with a simple single DIN pocket but still have some kind of aux cable to run to my phone so I can play music from it. I'd basically just have the speakers left over.

I don't deal with car electronics so this is very likely not possible. I'll actually be more surprised if it is possible.
You would need some sort of amplifier that could process the input from your phone. I've seen someone do something similar in an MR2 once, but I'll have to see if I can find that thread. The phone itself will not be able to drive the speakers.

Edit: This looks like a decent instructional on how to install without a headunit. http://www.instructables.com/id/Cust...-NO-HEAD-UNIT/
Old 03-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the link. I don't even want any control over gain/split/etc just simple sound comes out where it can. I'll dig into it a little more. I'm looking for a solution that's really simple and cheap.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Well you will need some kind of amplifier for the speakers, not sure if there's anything simpler than a regular cheap headunit.
There are various mini amps that you could wire in though like these http://www.parts-express.com/kinter-...2x18w--310-372
You just need to connect 12V power and the speaker wires and find a good place to mount it.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Just get a Bluetooth adapter for a few bucks or get a bluetooth radio
Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like has been said, you'll need an amp at the minimum.

Then, if you have an iphone 5 or later you can get this:
http://www.isimplesolutions.com/list...ightening.html
it pulls audio from the iphone as it charges - you'll have to control volume etc from the iphone.

I have one I can ship to you free if you cover shipping. I went android so can't use it.

This is what I use in addition to an amp.
http://www.kinivo.com/Kinivo-BTC455-...&searchSize=12
this gadget pulls audio from my phone over bluetooth, skips tracks forward and back, pause/start, and hands-free calls - it's mounted on my center console between the top and hazard buttons

http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-au...xpansion-98117
this is simply a volume control
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

you're probably better off keeping your headunit, but you could use something like this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PXIBT50.2.html
Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I don't deal with car electronics
If that's the case then a head unit is probably the easiest solution. You have to have something to drive the speakers as other have indicated above. The headphone amp in your phone isn't going to cut it.

I don't use mine either except for audio from an external device. I'm not car electronics expert but I do have some experience and I'd still rely on the head unit. Even if you remove the head unit you'd have to place the amp somewhere and you might not gain enough space to have a pocket in place of the head unit.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 PM

I had a pocket where the radio was. It was great for holding my wallet. Then I got an AP2 console and the wallet goes in the console cupholder. I have 2 cupholders mounted on a stalk - out of the way but super accessible.

You can see the bluetooth kinivo thing just rear of the shifter. The JL Audio volume control is temporarily stuck inside the radio door. It will find a permanent home along with 2 gauges, a USB outlet and an amp on/off switch on a panel behind the radio door.