S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Sony Mex-xb100bt steering controls

Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sony Mex-xb100bt steering controls

When I purchased my car it included a Kenwood radio that was installed by Best Buy with a Pac Audio SWI-RC that the previous owner had installed. Since all the buttons worked well, I decided to use the Pac Audio SWI-RC with my new Sony head unit. After quite a bit of frustration, I finally got the Pac Audio SWI-RC to work with the Sony head unit but unlike the Kenwood you have to program each button with the Sony head unit. When I start programming the buttons it will let me program the source, track, and either volume up or down. For some reason it will not let me program both volume up or down instead it just lets me program one of them and then gives me an error for the next one. I tried multiple times and it kept giving me the same error. Additionally, the head unit does not have mute so I also lost that functionality.

Has anyone run into this problem with this specific head unit or is this a problem with the Sony head units? Can this be fixed by buying the modifry wired dci?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I personally know nothing about PAC units, but when Googling I came across this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ming-help.html

If all else fails, or you're sick of wasting time, or you want the extra functionality, the Modifry DCI is a quality product.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by oth
I personally know nothing about PAC units, but when Googling I came across this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ming-help.html

If all else fails, or you're sick of wasting time, or you want the extra functionality, the Modifry DCI is a quality product.
The PAC unit notices which is volume up and volume down, the problem is the Sony head unit gets an error so I can only program one button. Since it is all wired up, I would hate to have to purchase the modify unit and have to wire everything up again to find out I have the same problem. That is why I was hoping someone else had installed this head unit with either the modify unit to confirm it works with all of the steering controls or figured out a solution to the volume buttons.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:33 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, that is a pain... you have to program the PAC to recognize the car's buttons, and then program the headunit to recognize the PAC's commands?
Most headunits expect their commands in a rigid format, and thus the interface to convert the car's protocol to the headunit's.

It seems as though the headunit is receiving the same signal for vol+ and vol-, whereas it thinks it should be receiving two different commands. Some remotes
have two different buttons, one for vol+ and one for vol- (eg. s2000), while others (eg. my Audi) use a single wheel for up/down depending on direction turned.
I wonder if there's a setting in the PAC which defines this behavior? I see from the instructions there are "device" and "dial" settings that are set before assigning
the individual dash buttons.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by oth
Wow, that is a pain... you have to program the PAC to recognize the car's buttons, and then program the headunit to recognize the PAC's commands?
Most headunits expect their commands in a rigid format, and thus the interface to convert the car's protocol to the headunit's.

It seems as though the headunit is receiving the same signal for vol+ and vol-, whereas it thinks it should be receiving two different commands. Some remotes
have two different buttons, one for vol+ and one for vol- (eg. s2000), while others (eg. my Audi) use a single wheel for up/down depending on direction turned.
I wonder if there's a setting in the PAC which defines this behavior? I see from the instructions there are "device" and "dial" settings that are set before assigning
the individual dash buttons.
Yes it was a pain to install.

I agree with you that the headunit is receiving the same signal and in turn giving me an error. If I where to undo the wiring and install the Modifry unit would I run in to the same problem?

I guess whoever has installed this specific head unit on the s2000 either does not use the steering wheel controls or installed the Modifry unit and everything works fine.

Its a shame because the headunit sounds really good in the car and I am enjoying using bluetooth again. I was getting tired of shifting gears with my phone on my ear, especially with the amount shifting you do in the s2000.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by oth
I agree. Modifry works great. Plug and play harness along with the DCI.

Headache over.