S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Subwoofer & amplifier problem

Old 06-16-2014, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer & amplifier problem

Sorry I know this has probably been asked many times but I'm having just a slight problem.
I've recently purchased a sub, amp and wiring kit. Instead of getting it professionally installed me and my friend had a go at installing them ourselves. After watching numerous YouTube tutorials and reading many forums / google pages we decided to go on with it.

Now here's the problem, today we tried installing it following the step by step process we've learnt and the step by step process on the wiring kit I've purchased. After it being 'predominantly' complete ( finished all the wiring just haven't connected the wires to the subwoofer ), we failed. We turned the ignition on to see if the amp will light up but we were unsuccessful, so after redoing many of the processes (making sure wires where on 'tight', making sure everything was connected well) we hoped it'd work again, but no it hasn't worked again. During the process or us installing it, the fuse had blown as well (fuse #9 10A red and white one), which we replaced instantly and the radio and power outlet worked again. So was just wondering where we've gone wrong / what we've done wrong, I could attach images for those of you who are more 'visual' just ask below, but would love some help and if anyone knows what the problem could be?

Thanks and would love for some feedback!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might need specifics on which products and kits you have. Some amps and subs need to be wired directly to the battery for power, but we can't tell anything without knowing what you are trying to install.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should have a main power wire from the battery to the amp, a ground from the amp to car, and a remote power wire from the head unit to the amp. The remote wire turns on the amp when the radio comes on. It's possible you touched the remote wire to ground while the radio was on and that would have blown your fuse. This is why you make sure power is off and/or battery disconnected.

I would check the headunit and see if there is a subwoofer on/off setting. This cuts or provides power to the remote wire. Another option is to get a multi meter or test light, make sure the radio is on and see if you have power to the remote wire and main power wire at the amp. If you have power to those two then you either have a bad ground for the amp, bad fuse in the amp, or bad amp.

Its really a pretty simple process but if you messed with any power wires that were hot things can get messed up pretty quickly.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure your remote wire is hooked up. This is the key component a lot of people forget about and don't realize is needed.

You'd think a power and ground is all that is needed for the amp to turn on, but nope.

If that isn't it then definitely bust out (or go buy if you don't already have one) a multimeter and check the readings of each wire.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
You should have a main power wire from the battery to the amp, a ground from the amp to car, and a remote power wire from the head unit to the amp. The remote wire turns on the amp when the radio comes on. It's possible you touched the remote wire to ground while the radio was on and that would have blown your fuse. This is why you make sure power is off and/or battery disconnected.

I would check the headunit and see if there is a subwoofer on/off setting. This cuts or provides power to the remote wire. Another option is to get a multi meter or test light, make sure the radio is on and see if you have power to the remote wire and main power wire at the amp. If you have power to those two then you either have a bad ground for the amp, bad fuse in the amp, or bad amp.

Its really a pretty simple process but if you messed with any power wires that were hot things can get messed up pretty quickly.

Wow thanks on the quick reply!
Yes we've wired them all correctly but that's the main one I think we haven't (the remote wire) I'll double check tomorrow morning on that one. Yes as we were working a wire we were connecting to the amp caused a spark (can't remember which wire) and that's what I believe caused the fuse to blow, even though the car was off.
Yes I'm sure to check that tomorrow morning as it's quite late here in Melbourne now, would you know where I could get a test light or multimeter possibly?
I just believe the ground could be bad then in the end possibly, because the amp was bought brand new so nothing should be wrong with it!
It's simple to those who know their stuff, but for beginners it's quite difficult haha hopefully when I check tomorrow the remote wire is in well and I will get back to you, thank you for the help so far!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
Make sure your remote wire is hooked up. This is the key component a lot of people forget about and don't realize is needed.

You'd think a power and ground is all that is needed for the amp to turn on, but nope.

If that isn't it then definitely bust out (or go buy if you don't already have one) a multimeter and check the readings of each wire.
Yes, remote wire is hooked up but that's the one I'm most uncertain about with the whole install! I will check and let you know as soon as possible if that was the cause, I'm certain to get a multimeter just need to know of anyone that has one if not then I'll purchase one
Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gbozic
Originally Posted by AE_Racer' timestamp='1402925107' post='23204930

Yes we've wired them all correctly but that's the main one I think we haven't (the remote wire) I'll double check tomorrow morning on that one. Yes as we were working a wire we were connecting to the amp caused a spark (can't remember which wire) and that's what I believe caused the fuse to blow, even though the car was off.
Yes I'm sure to check that tomorrow morning as it's quite late here in Melbourne now, would you know where I could get a test light or multimeter possibly?
I just believe the ground could be bad then in the end possibly, because the amp was bought brand new so nothing should be wrong with it!
It's simple to those who know their stuff, but for beginners it's quite difficult haha hopefully when I check tomorrow the remote wire is in well and I will get back to you, thank you for the help so far!
No problem. If your remote wire caused a spark with the head unit off then you probably don't have it connected to the correct wire. It's usually a blue one, but it should be marked on the harness. If its not and you still have issues, let us know what brand and model head unit and I can dig further for you. This wire should be coming out of the connector on the radio and wouldn't be connected to the factory harness as its sole purpose is to turn on an amp, and our cars do not have a factory amp.

Not sure about in Australia but here in the US nearly any auto parts store or home improvement store would carry a multimeter. Even if you end up not using it, they're a handy tool to keep around. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Originally Posted by gbozic' timestamp='1402925827' post='23204950
[quote name='AE_Racer' timestamp='1402925107' post='23204930']

No problem. If your remote wire caused a spark with the head unit off then you probably don't have it connected to the correct wire. It's usually a blue one, but it should be marked on the harness. If its not and you still have issues, let us know what brand and model head unit and I can dig further for you. This wire should be coming out of the connector on the radio and wouldn't be connected to the factory harness as its sole purpose is to turn on an amp, and our cars do not have a factory amp.

Not sure about in Australia but here in the US nearly any auto parts store or home improvement store would carry a multimeter. Even if you end up not using it, they're a handy tool to keep around. Good luck and let us know what you find.
[/quote]

No it wasn't the remote wire that had caused the spark! It's a sony xplod headunit but that shouldn't matter anymore, but I have good news! We've found the problem, I've taken it down to the local shop that installs subs / amps and he told me where we went wrong, we connected the ground wire the other way around, so instead of the fuse being near the battery we had it near the amp! So tomorrow me and my friend organised to meet again and swap around that ground wire, after that swap he said it should all be working! But if it doesn't it must be something else and would love for some more help, yes I've also checked up and my friend has a multimeter just needs to find it, said it's laying around somewhere! Yes definately, tomorrow after we swap the ground wire around I'll let you know what the outcome is, thanks for the help so far
Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gbozic
Originally Posted by AE_Racer' timestamp='1402927290' post='23204977
[quote name='gbozic' timestamp='1402925827' post='23204950']

[/quote]

No it wasn't the remote wire that had caused the spark! It's a sony xplod headunit but that shouldn't matter anymore, but I have good news! We've found the problem, I've taken it down to the local shop that installs subs / amps and he told me where we went wrong, we connected the ground wire the other way around, so instead of the fuse being near the battery we had it near the amp! So tomorrow me and my friend organised to meet again and swap around that ground wire, after that swap he said it should all be working! But if it doesn't it must be something else and would love for some more help, yes I've also checked up and my friend has a multimeter just needs to find it, said it's laying around somewhere! Yes definately, tomorrow after we swap the ground wire around I'll let you know what the outcome is, thanks for the help so far
[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense... You shouldn't have/need a fuse on the ground wire... maybe you meant the power wire?

You definitely have a fuse on the power wire, but I don't think the location of the fuse should stop you from getting power anyways... though it is definitely better to have it as close to the power source (battery) as possible, but that is just for safety reasons... it should work regardless of where it is as long as it isn't blown.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
Originally Posted by gbozic' timestamp='1403004099' post='23206342
[quote name='AE_Racer' timestamp='1402927290' post='23204977']
[quote name='gbozic' timestamp='1402925827' post='23204950']

[/quote]

[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense... You shouldn't have/need a fuse on the ground wire... maybe you meant the power wire?

You definitely have a fuse on the power wire, but I don't think the location of the fuse should stop you from getting power anyways... though it is definitely better to have it as close to the power source (battery) as possible, but that is just for safety reasons... it should work regardless of where it is as long as it isn't blown.
[/quote]

Yeah sorry I meant power wire!
Yes we've found the problem but haven't attempted to fix it yet, I went down to the local autobarn (shop to do anything with cars) and one of the blokes there had a look and told me where we went wrong, instead of connecting the remote wire to the back of the stereo we actually just connected it to the power output! So I'm seeing my friend again some time tomorrow, if all goes well then finally! If not I'll be back here haha

Quick Reply: Subwoofer & amplifier problem