S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

The ULTIMATE way to slide and piggyback wires

Old 02-17-2002, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ULTIMATE way to slide and piggyback wires

Ok, just some tips if anyone is trying this in the future. I'm putting in my own stereo and have never done anything like it before but I really like learning about the way things go together. Anyway, I saw that people had suggested using soapy water to snake wires through the conduit in the doors and from the engine compartment. Well, let me tell you...I didn't want to get soapy and since KY is petroleum based lubricant...LOL...I used some silicone based lubricant from the local "store" and it worked GREAT!!! Eros Bodyglide BABY!!! LOL...anywayz dats my 2 cents.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:20 PM

KY is waterbased its not good to use petro based well in THERE... but I digress...

Here's my take on the snake...

Get 2 ft of Romex 14-2 house electrical wire or the like. Pull out the ground wire. Discard the rest.

Strip off about 3/4-1" of wire on both of your new door speaker wires. Tie them together.

Solder them to the end of the ground wire. do it nicely. use heat shrink tubing to cover them (making it nice and smooth.

Fish it through. Use a lube if needed.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:13 AM
mas

I wanted to share the same info as well! I have starting upgrading my stereo and last weekend I ran a 4 gauge power cable thru that gromet behind the battery. At first it did not look like I'd be able to do it but then i said "what the hell.." and put some body lotion in the gromet and on the wire and WOW! It just slid right thru! I lubed the rest of the cable as well cause it made it really easy :-) BTW, this was a really thick wire, even for a 4 gauge.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phormula_01
[B]Ok, just some tips if anyone is trying this in the future.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:24 AM
wFo

The best fish tape I have found for cars (not my idea, found it here) is one of those huge zip ties that the HVAC guys use to tie off stuff. They are about 3 feet long. Cut off the big end, round off the small end with snippers, and fish away! They are flat yet hold their form, and plastic so no damage is likely. Lube if necessary.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally posted by wFo
The best fish tape I have found for cars (not my idea, found it here) is one of those huge zip ties that the HVAC guys use to tie off stuff. They are about 3 feet long. Cut off the big end, round off the small end with snippers, and fish away! They are flat yet hold their form, and plastic so no damage is likely. Lube if necessary.
If you can get them SWEET! Keep them for ever! If you want to fish smaller wires put 2 holes in the zip tie and snake them through each and no need for tape!

BTW: Its call a Mr. T (Mr. Tie wrap). The best line I heard from my installer was WHERE IS ORANGE T?!?! Obviously now that I look back on it but at the time I was like WTF is Orange T? Its an orange tie wrap!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:14 AM
wFo

Hey Pinky! Was that you that originally posted that? It sure works good.

I visit a lot of residential construction sites for my job. I find these zip ties all of the time. The guys who do the heating and air conditioning use them to tie off the smaller ducts and whatnot. Often times the end they cut off and leave for scrap is perfect for our use. I have never looked, but I bet that home depot would have these....