S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Vanity Light Installed. . .

Old 11-21-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanity Light Installed. . .

As you guys know it's really really dark inside the cabin at night with the top up....

Ever since I saw it in my dad's GS at night I wanted it... A Vanity light (I believe its called...TL's have em too....) It's a tiny Single LED which shines on the shifter area and provides enough light just to get a sense of where things are inside the cabin at night....It isn't bright enough to distract the driver either....

Here is a before and After shot:

Barely ANY light. .

After...Nice White light...looks classy IMO, easy to see the shifter and whatever else you have in your center consle....

It was a cheap and easy install....
(1) 3.6 V 5mm (or 3mm....i forget) White LED
(1) LED holder (tiny black plastic holder, just drill one hole and push the LED in from the back
(1) 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor
Some wire (grounded to the screw that holds the light fixture in place, and positive lead I ran to the Illumination circuit...got it from behind the face....)

Like or no likey?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Nice idea, I the Chevy HHR also has this feature, but with a very light blue light.

As a pilot, I'd recommend a red led instead of white. Your eyes will have a better time with the red than white light for night vision. Granted, the on coming highbeams don't help, by why add more light than necessary.

If the LED is too bright, use a different resistor to cut down the intensity until you find one that works to your liking.

My solution was just put some red plastic sleeves on my map lights and that solved the problem. I believe I picked them up from AutoZone. Cost a couple of bucks for a pair and was an easy DYI.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Looks cool....instructions??
Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts

We likey but I agree with the red LED suggestion. It may be just the photo you took but it appears to be too much light. I had an A4 (POS) that had red led lighting for that purpose and it was barely noticeable but gave you reference points.

BTW, you never said where you mounted the LED.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F-16JockS2K,Nov 21 2006, 06:47 PM
Nice idea, I the Chevy HHR also has this feature, but with a very light blue light.

As a pilot, I'd recommend a red led instead of white. Your eyes will have a better time with the red than white light for night vision. Granted, the on coming highbeams don't help, by why add more light than necessary.

If the LED is too bright, use a different resistor to cut down the intensity until you find one that works to your liking.

My solution was just put some red plastic sleeves on my map lights and that solved the problem. I believe I picked them up from AutoZone. Cost a couple of bucks for a pair and was an easy DYI.
Yup the 2006 Civic Si's got the red led light
Looks pretty cool and serves its purpose

Marcus
Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM

I agree, I like the light but it may be too much. Have you seen the interior lights in the new lexus's? They are mounted under the dash and light up the footwells.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM

Sorry...drilled one hole in the center of the clear plastic cover that goes over the interior map lights........

I might have set the exposure too long on the camera, i just wanted to show that it does light up the area....like i said i drove home before and it didn't distract me.....
Old 11-21-2006, 08:20 PM

i had this in my e36. pretty simple install just like he said.

the real trick though is getting it so that the lighting is recessed enough. my first try was a little to bright and not recessed enough. at eye level from the outside it looked like two beedy red eyes looking at you.