S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Lost in Standalone, advice needed

Old 04-16-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost in Standalone, advice needed

Dear s2ki comunity, I'm a bit loss, I would like some people here advice in order to make the good decision.

Let start this thread but first stating that I live in QUEBEC, CANADA, and here there is really not much support for s2000. There is not a lot of boosted s2000, not a lot of used parts and not a lot of trustable person to tune my car.

I street tuned car for a little more than 8 years now, I'm used to megasquirt, kpro, flash pro, Crome, i've done a little bit of haltech, and emanage ultimate.

2 week ago i decided to turbo my 2003 AP1, I made a custom turbo kit using a custom holset turbo, cast manifold 38mm wastegate, 2.5 inch piping and intercooler. Everything runs fine. I hooked up a wideband , a walbro fuel pump and 550cc PTE injector ( with resistor box )

Unfortunately I have a emanage ultimate as a tuning option which I hate... I spent a lot to make this setup work and fitted correcty to avoid issue like : blowing a motor, blowing a turbo, or shorten any parts life.

Right now I CANT make the car runs well. whatever i do the Emanage seems to have a lack of function to help well with idle, and city low rpm drivability. I have a really hard time setting everything up because the stock ecu keeps fighting with the emanage and this cause too much drivability issue to me. even WOT the car randomly misfire when set rich enough to be safe. I've ran the emanage ultimate 2yrs N/a and never had such issue with the stock injectors.

I'm looking for another ECU to make my car runs better, but let say i'm on a budget. I want to run my car soon , not waiting mounths to buy a 2000$ standalone.

So I've search on the forum looking for answer to my question about standalone and I've found some that would fit my car which are :

-AEM EMS v1
-AEM EMS v2
-Haltech
-Kpro

Thats the name that came often. The probleme is that i live in canada, so our money is real low ATM vs US dollar. So which one is cheaper to buy?? is it possible to find a standalone that work well with my car for 500-800$ US, used ?? i dont see many USED EMS for sale. If anyone can help me figured out which one for me would be the best, knowing i will street tune and learn this new software i dont know a lot. Dont forgot im not new to tuning and never had any issue with any tune in the past
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go for the one your most comfortable programming on. Kpro requires some additional hardware before it can work, AEM work off the shelf, v1 will need a water temp fix for the dash to work.

AEM v1 1052U can be had for around 500-700US. The 1052U has a wideband built in.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Shouldn't be fighting anything, as long as your injectors are set and scaled right in the maps your choosing to use and your map voltage is set low enough to cap boost seen ie 2.85v or less. I had to run a bit less like 2.75 to keep from misfiring when in boost. I ran ID1000cc with Emanage no prob, idle and partial throttle ran like stock ecu. I realize that unfortunately there isn't much support for Emanage out there these days, but im confident its not the devices fault its not working for you. There is some pretty good resources/info on this sight for it though if you do some searching. Or give up on it an spend $1000-2000 for a another device. May not entirely be a bad idea considering your turbo. Supercharging is quite a bit more strait forward to tune with Emanage/stock ecu, being its cut and dry linear vac/boost plots.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Shouldn't be fighting anything, as long as your injectors are set and scaled right in the maps your choosing to use and your map voltage is set low enough to cap boost seen ie 2.85v or less. I had to run a bit less like 2.75 to keep from misfiring when in boost. I ran ID1000cc with Emanage no prob, idle and partial throttle ran like stock ecu. I realize that unfortunately there isn't much support for Emanage out there these days, but im confident its not the devices fault its not working for you. There is some pretty good resources/info on this sight for it though if you do some searching. Or give up on it an spend $1000-2000 for a another device. May not entirely be a bad idea considering your turbo. Supercharging is quite a bit more strait forward to tune with Emanage/stock ecu, being its cut and dry linear vac/boost plots.

Honestly im about to give up on emanage, there is no way it work like everyone shows on any forum... Im running 550cc injector and in my injectors scalling i need to put 465cc with 0.26 time lag, and im still running too lean when I try to take off normally at a stop or light. no way i can be closer to 550cc in the injector scaling whathever the lag time it tryed to set in it...

I just feels like the number means nothing and have no rules..