S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Strange VAFC tuning issue

Old 09-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You need to post pictures that are large enough to see. I click on them to enlarge and it directs me to a site that wants me to download them, that's not working for me.

I believe I did notice in one of your setting that you have no vtec threshold enabled, which is an important part of tuning your car. this controls at what throttle % you want vtec to be engaged. Otherwise its only rpm related, and will engage at any throttle when you hit that rpm, which is garbage and you cant properly tune the fuel around that. I again am suspecting your tuners unfamiliarity with this unit and may very well be your entire issue. Where does he have the lo and hi throttle thresholds adjusted to? This also will dictate your fueling during your transitional throttle, with roll on, how it interacts with vtec engagement and at what rpm. Mine works bet at lo 25% high 50%. I have vtec set to come on at 3600rpm at 30% throttle. Just for reference.

Also you cant add more then about +3 to 4 on positive fuel on the NEO in my experience or it will wig out the ecu and cause ignition break up. So no, there is no fooling anything, its only a reliable trimming device. The previous gen vafc wouldn't even let you ad +1 fuel without disrupting the ecu. Adding fuel changes the MAP voltage higher then 2.85v making the ecu thinking its seeing boost, rather then lower voltage in the map scale when you cut fuel, the ecu cant cope with "positive pressure". But being your running an F20 with your ecu and limited bolt ons, this hasn't become an issue yet, it can though. I have to run a adjustable rate fpr to run a proper fuel curve, I have trimming and adding through fuel pressure on my set up. Turn up the pressure to enrich across the board in the leanest points needed, then trim out ther areas not needed for a flat fuel curve or what ever you want.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Have u considered switching to a stand alone? All those piggy backs I read nothing but bad things.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
Have u considered switching to a stand alone? All those piggy backs I read nothing but bad things.
The issue isn't the piggy backs. Its the people that either don't have the right expectations or don't know how to properly adjust the settings. For a bolt on N/A car, the Neo is all that's needed to get the most out of of the engine(at least 90% of what a full standalone offers due to very small gain in timing advance in the mid range), and it works really great for what it influences. Its got an easy adjustable on the fly interface and cost especially for the do DIY guys like myself, is 1/4th of the alternative. I didn't even use a full stand alone for my 450whp Supercharged set up because i saw very little benefit, along with sacrifices and compromise.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Possible some sensor connections got wet and/ corroded? Have you gone through all the settings on the neo and make sure it's all correct. Sounds like there is another issue, you should be able to set vtec at least to 5500. There is some reason the car is falling flat, that should not be happening. Make sure no adjustments are being made to the closed loop
Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Community Organizer

The CEL issues are very easy to trouble shoot. Either its an OEM problem or its a NEO problem, either through a possible bad pnp harness/hook up interception, or settings on the NEO itself. The first step is to disconnect he NEO and re set the ECU and drive the car for a week or two and see if the CEL come back, this is part of troubleshooting 101. If they do, get this resolved before you try and complicate it with any tuning device, it snt going to work right. If no CEL after driving for a few weeks, then you know what the next area of focus should be. Start at the NEO settings, make sure its initial parameters are set right for the s2000 and then the tuning parameters. You may want to try your PNP harness and NEO on another members/friends s2k to make sure it doesn't trigger any CEL on their car after you have exhausted the first step I mentioned. This is one of the main advantages of retaining the factory ecu and a piggy back, the ability to have the CEL function and be able to more easily troubleshoot issues. But you have to deduct in the proper fashion or you will make your head spin chasing your tail.