S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS 1052 fail safes for meth injection?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aquamist dds3 v8 hands down
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Ok nice! Cheap and easy to fill up with just distilled water as well! So how does the water injection work? Same exact thing as water/meth just without the meth? No harm in spraying in water? Sorry not familiar with it at all and common sense would say spraying water in would be bad lol.
I've got approximately 50k miles on water/meth in the 3-4 years Ive been running it, so take my input as you will. In my experience spraying just water on a Centrifugal SC isn't efficient in achieving what you want. Its better suited for inefficient turbo applications or roots blowers where AIT and EGT are serious challenges, there aren't as significant a challenge on a properly after cooled Centrifugal system. I recommend 50/50 water/meth at most and I prefer a stronger mix of meth in the 75% range or above for several reasons. Water cools better then meth which is great for detonation suppressant, but meth also cools, water doesn't burn which sucks for power and can overburden your spark(blowout at a lower power limit), meth does burn. Both do effectively the same thing, but each one has its own strengths in doing it better. Fitting the blend % with the application is key. A centrifugal not only produces less heat then any other FI system, it requires less timing retard to control detonation on our car due to the nature of the blower boost characteristics and the inline 4 power curve.

One example, with my multi port injection, I have detected no detonation running 15psi on my stock 11:1 f22 with stock timing advance (28 degrees?) With a mix of 20% water. I have not logged my AIT but considering the feel of my manifold its under 150 typically. If I were to add any additional water to my mix, I may be able to squeeze out a few degrees lower Ait temp, but at the cost of power becuase I still haven't reached a detonation threshold which is really the basis. In order to even justify a 50/50 blend I would be in the 20's boost range the way I figure it, that would still be running close to stock timing. Obviously a single port wont give you this level of performance ability, which brings me to the next angle, generally the more cc you run, the less water % in the mix. Its all about finding the right balance between, water/meth%.CC amount and timing correction for the boost run. Hopefully my experience has brought you closer to discovering what that is for our application.

Modiction, for your set up, I'd likely go with a simple non progressive kit as I described previously. Run no less then 50% meth and 75% would likely be best. Run a single pre TB nozzle( which AEM sells individually) which reminds me, I have one for sale if your interested. Run the larger 550cc nozzle with it. You could go with the next size smaller med 315cc, but divided by 4 cylinders you would just be pissing on a fire, not worth the trouble. I'm running one 180cc injector/nozzle per cylinder.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 180 * 4 as well, and was making over 650whp, progressive coolingmist kit.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
I have used the aem water/meth for a while now and it works, but I am not a huge fan of it. It is questionable as to how much gets into each cylinder unless you go with a setup with 4 seperate nozzles. There is a lag with the system causing lean tip ins and the progressive pump output is not linear at all with pump output duty vs. flow. I only used it because I had no other choice to run as much boost as I wanted. I have now switched to e85 and i'm much happier with it.

If you do decide to run it then run the aem injection failsafe. You can monitor flow and trigger safeties in the AEM if it flows outside a specified range. I used this in conjunction with the nitrous maps to pull timing/increase fuel on mine.

Also do not run water/meth with the same timing you run on pump gas. Your car will make less power than it will on pump gas if you do this. Sure it will be safer than running straight pump gas, but your car will feel like a turd.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but wanted some clarity around Matt's comments. So if you run meth/water and don't advance timing/increase boost you will see a drop in power? I would think lower IATs would increase power?

Thanks
Sam
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meth is a fuel if you dont do anything with added fuel the a/f will become super rich = less power.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used a hobbs switch to add a fail safe to meth injection. Put the pressure switch right by the nozzle, so when there is a loss of pressure it cuts boost or you could use it to activate the 2step, or turn on a light on the dash.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my failsafe set to the boost switch input so I am limited to 10psi if there are any errors.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was recently looking at the aquamist (stage3?) kit and it looks pretty solid, even has a built in flow gauge & I think it sprays via its own injector rather than just a nozzle & check valve. It also has telephone/cat5 style connectors for all the wiring which looks awesome. I can see why it costs 2x what the AEM kit does.
But I have already lost one motor to a failed meth kit (AEM) & would feel like a total jackass if I did it again.
decisions, decisions
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deception
I was recently looking at the aquamist (stage3?) kit and it looks pretty solid, even has a built in flow gauge & I think it sprays via its own injector rather than just a nozzle & check valve. It also has telephone/cat5 style connectors for all the wiring which looks awesome. I can see why it costs 2x what the AEM kit does.
But I have already lost one motor to a failed meth kit (AEM) & would feel like a total jackass if I did it again.
decisions, decisions

ask yourself why you would want to spray water/meth.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman
Originally Posted by Deception' timestamp='1336402473' post='21675752
decisions, decisions

ask yourself why you would want to spray water/meth.
The pulley I have hits 15psi at 8500rpm, probably about 16psi @ 9k..
But above 13psi/ 8100rpm I get some knock so we pulled a good bit of timing and set the limiter at 8100.. I need higher octane so i can rev to 8.5 or 9k & also pickup some power lost to the timing retard. Maybe even run a smaller pulley. Having to shift at 8k sucks, I lose almost 10mph in each gear.

Ive been debating between E85/ meth or premixing 93 gasoline w/ toluene to make +100 octane

Quick Reply: AEM EMS 1052 fail safes for meth injection?