S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

DIY vented hood

Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DIY vented hood

Has anyone done this on here and is running the stock hood but with partitions cut out and vents added?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/324..._diy+hood+vent

I'm low powered supercharged running an aftercooler @10psi, but struggling to think if its worth it as far as lowering temps/helping performance and at the same time not causing undesirable effects (excluding rain channels). My concern is the configuration and placement of the holes particularly taking note of pressure areas, rather than cutting out willy nilly.

Has anyone noticed any differences and have pictures?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to do this too mine, but I just couldn't bring myself to chop up a virgin hood. I opted for a seibon mugen style. Made a massive difference in underhood temps on my turbo setup. I don't drive it in the rain, but I have washed it many times. I see no i'll effects from a little water getting in. I say go for it. I like the three holes on the passenger side only look myself.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut one hole on the passenger side furthest to the back. Makes a big difference in under hood temps but I'm also turbo so I don't know how much it would help a supercharged car. Sitting at idle I can see the heat escaping out the hood.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Cool thanks. In for more info.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done probably 30 or so hoods by now for people, I've lost count. I'm the hood venting guy of southern California, probably what most people know me for down here.

Vented hoods increase horsepower 3-8 hp depending on the setup.
Vented hoods create more mildly more down-force thus better handling. Especially when a full length splitter is used.
Vented hoods also of course lower engine bay temps, making engine temps run cooler and thus safer.

Happy to help with any questions you might have. I've got the 3 holes on the passenger side done on my car.

-Greg
Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

i think a vented hood is a must have for a turbo setup. espically anyone with a tubular manifold.
i dont think it is nessary for a super charged setup
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k
I've done probably 30 or so hoods by now for people, I've lost count.
Nice! I've done a couple myself.

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Has anyone done this on here and is running the stock hood but with partitions cut out and vents added?
This is probably what you are looking for. The owner wanted the biggest vent above the header to maximize the amount of heat out of the engine bay. Functionality first, look is a far second. He liked it so much he brought his brand new 370Z next for me to vent.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/525...t__p__13569347

Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM

Here's what I do:

Name:  Hoodvents2k.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by S~Factor
Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k' timestamp='1335224749' post='21636234
I've done probably 30 or so hoods by now for people, I've lost count.
Nice! I've done a couple myself.

Originally Posted by s2konroids
This is probably what you are looking for. The owner wanted the biggest vent above the header to maximize the amount of heat out of the engine bay. Functionality first, look is a far second. He liked it so much he brought his brand new 370Z next for me to vent.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/525...t__p__13569347

That actually looks quite good, I didn't realize that was feasible with the hood support configuration underneath. I think if I were to do this mod, yours looks best, and functionally I like the fact that the intake area is still covered to protect from elements. It rains a lot here in Seattle. The typical version 05turbo and others perform is quite functional as well, and it doesn't look bad or anything, but I just cant get over the cosmetic look enough to go through with it, simply becuase I have to stare at it the whole time I'm driving and I better love the visuals of a mod I choose if I have to look at it the whole time. Its a little too much for my personal taste.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM

I've done em both ways, the water is a moot issue. It is impossible for it to rain hard enough anywhere on earth to cause an issue for the intake, just becomes a little knock control if anything.

My intake is directly under my largest hood vent hole in the front and aimed upward slightly even. It's a foam/oil filter. It's been through pretty harsh rain storms here in Cali, harder rain than I've ever seen WA state have.... I know that sounds rather improbable.

I've done enough hard core wheeling in jeeps and in motorcycles crossing rivers to safely make this statement.

As for the location in terms of function the typical one you see on my car is better in terms of venting air in a beneficial area aerodynamically speaking. However, most don't run splitters of or under panels so generally we can dismiss that.

A good point about the large vent you see in his picture towards the rear is that is the hottest point under hood on the S2K (I've done testing to find this as fact) which means it's the best place to put a vent of course if you wish to expel heat effectively. Thus I think it's a pretty good option for most, most effective for removing heat no doubt there as was already said.

There's actually 2 other configurations that can be done, not including the front very small triangle in the center which I've done only one time.

Probably at the end of the day, as you pointed out it comes down to what the owner prefers cosmetically. I prefer the one I did on my own but of course I'm just one owner of thousands.

Hood venting in general though is a fantastic option for any s2k owner.

Quick Reply: DIY vented hood