S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

DIY vented hood

Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's one other point I forgot..... probably only a concern in Cali for the most part and that is legality!

I've had a cop try to look into my hood vents to see my possible Turbo sitting inside..... due to the smaller rear vent he was unable to see it. Which was quite nice. It was also nice that he was such an idiot he didn't use the front inter-cooler as probable cause to have me pop my hood and send my car to the state referee where I'd have never been able to get it back from. CHP, silly meter maids with guns.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k
There's one other point I forgot..... probably only a concern in Cali for the most part and that is legality!

I've had a cop try to look into my hood vents to see my possible Turbo sitting inside..... due to the smaller rear vent he was unable to see it. Which was quite nice. It was also nice that he was such an idiot he didn't use the front inter-cooler as probable cause to have me pop my hood and send my car to the state referee where I'd have never been able to get it back from. CHP, silly meter maids with guns.
God I'm glad we dont have that problem here.... yet.

I think at this point they would just crush my car right on site, and I hope the tank of methanol in the trunk would blow up and engulf them in invisible flames as a result.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice one thanks for the info, maybe its a waste of time for an SC setup?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a carbon vented hood on my sc setup. I noticed cooler engine temps. Plus, my air filter sits right under the one vent so I'm sure that helps quite a bit.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 AM

where did you guys purchase the mesh screens?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k
I've done em both ways, the water is a moot issue. It is impossible for it to rain hard enough anywhere on earth to cause an issue for the intake, just becomes a little knock control if anything.

My intake is directly under my largest hood vent hole in the front and aimed upward slightly even. It's a foam/oil filter. It's been through pretty harsh rain storms here in Cali, harder rain than I've ever seen WA state have.... I know that sounds rather improbable.

I've done enough hard core wheeling in jeeps and in motorcycles crossing rivers to safely make this statement.

As for the location in terms of function the typical one you see on my car is better in terms of venting air in a beneficial area aerodynamically speaking. However, most don't run splitters of or under panels so generally we can dismiss that.

A good point about the large vent you see in his picture towards the rear is that is the hottest point under hood on the S2K (I've done testing to find this as fact) which means it's the best place to put a vent of course if you wish to expel heat effectively. Thus I think it's a pretty good option for most, most effective for removing heat no doubt there as was already said.

There's actually 2 other configurations that can be done, not including the front very small triangle in the center which I've done only one time.

Probably at the end of the day, as you pointed out it comes down to what the owner prefers cosmetically. I prefer the one I did on my own but of course I'm just one owner of thousands.

Hood venting in general though is a fantastic option for any s2k owner.

Seeing as you seem to be the vent guru of these parts, maybe I can pick your brain a bit.

I have read through the DIY thread countless times, and have everything ready to go for my vent job.

Care to share your technique/ tools of choice.

I planned to use an air saw to cut the holes. What do you do to prevent paint peeling?

What do you use to feather the paint on the top side edges??
Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 AM

I want to do this to a corolla hood but the car is too square I dont think it would ever look right.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like mine. Looks infinitely better after I added some aluminum cut outs around the outside. (I have some extras fs)

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by jordannn93
I have a carbon vented hood on my sc setup. I noticed cooler engine temps. Plus, my air filter sits right under the one vent so I'm sure that helps quite a bit.

Did you log them on consistent days/times
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 AM

p.s if anyone wants to vote on my thread on the UK side please do so, can't make my mind up

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/947...ted-diy-style/

Thanks

Quick Reply: DIY vented hood