S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Greddy emanage success with comptech SC

Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Greddy emanage success with comptech SC

Running 7psi of boost, has anyone had success using a PnP harness and a greddy e-manage ultimate piggyback ECU?

Was it worth it?, did you get gains and do you just use the stock MAP sensor?, ie get rid of a synapse missing link, etc. What downsides were there?

I know a standalone e.g AEM is better but I'm not interested in that.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You think you have some headaches now lol

AJ, unless you have someone local who you know has a reputation of being brilliant with tuning this particular device, don't even consider it, I still may not. The fuel management sucks, its old tech, makes for a crappy partial throttle tune. Everyone I have ever come in contact with has had issues and eventually tosses it for an EMS. I would suggest the same or stick with what you have. My .02

Same with the AEM FIC, it has its own set of issues on the S2000. I ended up damaging a motor with one due to fuel washing it from poor closed loop operation. The vafc works good for what it does because it only does two things, both of which do not fight the ecu. Change vtec, and cut fuel in open loop.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are only running low boost it will definaly be better than an FMU and mechanical boost clamp. You have no way to pull timing right now and your fuel control is terrible.

I would definatly recomend getting one if you don't want to go for an EMS. Don't forget you will also need injectors, I would shoot for a set of RC-550's for your goals.

Just search the boards for a person getting rid of a Greddy kit and you should be able to find everything you need realativly cheap.

Oh, and I am not sure if AEM ever worked out the bugs on the AEM piggy back but I know that Evans Tuning has an extra ready to go.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by dsddcd,Sep 16 2010, 08:22 AM
If you are only running low boost it will definaly be better than an FMU and mechanical boost clamp. You have no way to pull timing right now and your fuel control is terrible.

No doubt there is more versatility in tuning options with the E-manage or FIC. But what’s the point if you cant get a good tune out of them? At least now he's running good and reliable with what he's got. I say run it, or step up to a full Engine management. Don't mess around with the Piggy backs, talking from experience its not worth the trouble or risk.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM

I must confess I didn't have much success with one in my N/A days a few years back, me and my mate did get somewhere with it and began tuning but we had other issues with CEL lights etc, possibly due to buggy software. I got fed up and sent it back.

I was thinking maybe they ironed out some of the issues and maybe there were gains to have (as opposed to my vafc2) and make partial throttle better but I'll trust your knowledge Chris.

Probably stick with what i have, its running very good (not knock+decent AFR) but not brilliant could definitely do with advancing timing in partial throttle in the 3-4k rpm rev range but hey ho.

Agree even though people say the vafc2 is crap is working well for me due to its simplicity and not fighting the stock ECU as such other than the map sensor.

Will probably just leave it.

I could buy one cheap you see and fancied tuning it primarily myself but help from my mate (who's a tuner).
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Irvatron,Sep 16 2010, 12:19 PM

Agree even though people say the vafc2 is crap is working well for me due to its simplicity and not fighting the stock ECU as such other than the map sensor.
What’s up with the map sensor? I don't have any issues. Are you running the map spacer (missing link) ? I'm running the factory CT supplied ESM, though a bit of a pain to install in comparison, it works flawlessly. My car runs like stock in everyway.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let you know in a few days when I get my newly acquired CTSC w/aftercooler installed this weekend.

I have been running an EMU with absolutely no issues for about a year now. The timing has been adjusted, VTEC lowered, and fueling smoothed out. It has never given me any problem since I rewired the faulty harness from a Greddy Turbo Kit.

Once the SC is installed, I will not use the ESM and instead use the MAP clamp inside the EMU. Once I get bigger injectors (planning on ID725 right now) I will ditch the rising rate FPR (ghetto fix to get proper fueling) for a proper tune adjusting the fueling through the EMU. Once I get the 10 PSI pulley (and a clutch), I will of course be modifying the timing as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Sep 16 2010, 09:35 PM
What’s up with the map sensor? I don't have any issues. Are you running the map spacer (missing link) ? I'm running the factory CT supplied ESM, though a bit of a pain to install in comparison, it works flawlessly. My car runs like stock in everyway.
Sorry i meant a reference to it fighting the stock ECU, ie altering voltage to fool ecu.

Nothing wrong with the missing link other than i think the reaction time of the missing link causes the hesitation ie. it sees boost for a millisecond, hesitates then is fine.

The good thing about the missing link is its not voltage clamped and it can alter for ambient, elevation as it was intended to plus its easy to fit it also gives my vafc2 more scope.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by urBan_dK,Sep 16 2010, 09:40 PM
I'll let you know in a few days when I get my newly acquired CTSC w/aftercooler installed this weekend.

I have been running an EMU with absolutely no issues for about a year now. The timing has been adjusted, VTEC lowered, and fueling smoothed out. It has never given me any problem since I rewired the faulty harness from a Greddy Turbo Kit.

Once the SC is installed, I will not use the ESM and instead use the MAP clamp inside the EMU. Once I get bigger injectors (planning on ID725 right now) I will ditch the rising rate FPR (ghetto fix to get proper fueling) for a proper tune adjusting the fueling through the EMU. Once I get the 10 PSI pulley (and a clutch), I will of course be modifying the timing as well.
Super when are you thinking about doing this?

IIRC Giles was the expert on here.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by urBan_dK,Sep 16 2010, 12:40 PM

Yes, once you get everything hooked up at 10psi with the larger injectors and tuned, let us know what problems you develop…. and if your car runs perfect, you can start a boosted E-manage thread for everyone to post all of their success stories

What injectors you running now btw?

Quick Reply: Greddy emanage success with comptech SC