S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Help me decide if I should buy an S2000

Old 10-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide if I should buy an S2000

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and I've come looking for knowledge and experience on the S2K. I'm going to be buying a 2nd car just to have fun with in the Spring and I'm looking at either a new RSX-S or a used S2K (probably 2004). I've got my RSX knowledge covered on clubRSX.com so I've come to you to help me on the S2K.

First of all, I'm a mod maniac and the reason I've posted here is because either car I get is going to be supercharged almost immediately. My goal is 300 WHP in the short term and I realize from what I've read that an SC can get me that on an S2K pretty easily. However, I'm interested in what you all have to say about the further potential of the car, other mods you've all done, and what needs to be done to prepare the car for boost.

Thus far, I feel that the S2K will have the edge in handling and power, but may represents older engine technology and is far more expensive to modify. Also, I tend to prefer the looks of the RSX. However, given that the car will be garaged and will never see rain or snow, practicality is not really an issue. I mostly want to get a mid 12-second car that I can rip up backroads with on the weekend and smoke these ****ers in their SUVs during my morning commute on nice days.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:53 PM

If you get a CTSC w/ AC kit, that is all you will need to get since it is a bolt-on ready kit. You will want to upgrade your clutch at some point. I went with a ACT clutch and CT flywheel. If you want more than 6psi, then you should be able to go up to 8psi safely by using a different pulley. If you want more than that, then it will get costly to safely run more. If I were to do it over again, I would have gone with 7-8psi and 4.56-4.57 gears and CT header and exhaust. You would still be street legal and be pretty fast. Now to get your S into the 12's, you will need to build your rear end to be able to launch your S in your power band. Keep in mind that with the CT style SC, you see the power late in your rpms so until you get there, the power is not crazy but is very manageable. And stock S2000 rear ends will not take that kind of power at launches.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:21 PM

What kind of upgrades would I need to do for the rear-end? Where does 8 PSI put me in terms of hp and tq numbers? Also, is there a benefit to installing header/exhaust when supercharging the S2k? I was given to the impression that the stock parts already allowed excellent breathing.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:16 PM

To be able to fully launch your 300whp S, it is not cheap. You could go with Comptech Rein-forced diff, 4.56 gears, Driveshaft Shop 350hp axles, and ACT clutch. You could also add a 2 way LSD. Then you should be good to go unless you go above 300whp or beat the sh!t out of your S.

With 8 psi with CTSC w/AC, member are claiming around 300whp and around 200 TQ, give or take on those #'s. I had just under 300whp @ 9psi on 91 pump gas and AEM tuned, on a DynoJet. Some would consider that low.

With quality header and larger exhaust, you can free up some good hp. 3 inch piping from header back with straight pipes should add good gains.

And for stock header and exhaust, IMO they seem to be as restrictive as any oem parts when it comes to going FI. But the oem motor flow very good as far as internals go.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:41 PM

im in the same boat as you... except i jus got an S a couple weeks ago... as my (F/I) project car

its gonna handle a lot better than a type-s, has a balanced weight distribution, and be more of a high strung sports car... will feel much more sportier... everything is close, loud, immediate, raw... and the design is very unique...

S owners have stated the weak points in goin F/I is the diff and then the axle...
you have some options...

1. cryo treat the existing diff and axles
2. replace with aftermarket diff + axle... some are using nissan (skyline R33) diff, axle, and maybe even driveshaft ...
3. buy comptech reinforced diff housing

im planning on # 1 for now. from what i heard # 3 doesnt make it stronger, it just reduces the damage...

after about 9 lbs of boost, (about ~310whp) you should reduce the compression and tune with a standalone EMS like AEM...

but im also hoping to hear more suggestions from existing F/I guys...