S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

How does an oil pump work (for tranny/diff coolers)

Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does an oil pump work (for tranny/diff coolers)

Guys,

I have attempted to find the answer to this, but as I am not that mechanically minded, maybe I am not reading it correctly, or I am searching in google the wrong keywords..

Basically what I am looking to know is how does an oil pump function in a transmission/differential cooler.

Looking at a diff cooler, I understand it will comprise of the set up like:

Hose leaves the diff, goes to a cooler, hose from cooler to an in-line filter, to oil pump, then a final hose back into the diff.

I did some reading on TIlton's website here but still could not find the answer.

My questions are:

How does the oil pump have the ability to suck oil from the diff, through the cooler, through the in-line filter, finally reaching the pump?

If I run a diff cooler, I would have a temp sensor installed in the line prior to cooler, and have a manual on/off switch, once the diff oil temp is above optimal temps, i'd turn on the pump to start circulating oil through the cooler. What happens when I turn off the switch, would there be problems in be overflowing the diff cooler setup, or the diff itself? Can this be an issue?

If I were to drain the oil, and replace with new, would I have to bleed/fill the oil cooler lines etc?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 AM

i think i cannot grasp the concept of "pressure"
Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 AM

The pump doesn't have to suck the oil out of your diff like you said. The pump should be placed a bit lower that the diff, so it's flooded at all times. The oil from the diff will run to the pump, the pump moves the oil through the cooler and back in to the diff housing.

Edit since you're from australia, the gravity won't run the oil to the pump from the diff... you should place the pump above the diff!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:38 AM

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply. Not exactly sure what you mean in your post? I've seen all diff setups where the diff outlet hose is always lower than the pump... And just like you said, the pump is always higher or same level as the diff. But your post doesn't answer my question... How does the oil make its way up to the pump?

Am I right in saying that the pump will suck the oil up eventually, and then pump it's way through the cooler, and back into the diff?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL, Science YO.
Originally Posted by Jaspah
Edit since you're from australia, the gravity won't run the oil to the pump from the diff... you should place the pump above the diff!
Old 01-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by EOE
LOL, Science YO.
Originally Posted by Jaspah' timestamp='1452262237' post='23846763

wow, what a waste of a reply...
Old 01-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

most people running diff coolers have enlarged rear diff cases with a sump and several fitting you want you scavenge pump to pull from the lowest point at the sump it will pull the oil up and push it through the cooler. i plan to run evasive's diff sump and the same pump pfab uses with there turbo using a temp switch
Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by s2k manic
most people running diff coolers have enlarged rear diff cases with a sump and several fitting you want you scavenge pump to pull from the lowest point at the sump it will pull the oil up and push it through the cooler. i plan to run evasive's diff sump and the same pump pfab uses with there turbo using a temp switch
Yep, On my newly built 4.77/OSG AP1 diff complete with cyro treatment and shot peening, I also have installed the Spoon diff casing which increases volume from 800ml to 2300ml.

I also received a tilton pump with lines/filter/cooler etc.

Its the same setup as everyone else, but I like to understand how everthing works. I can see from the fittings that the setup for the cooler is;

drain plug of the spoon casing has a hose, then the cooler, then an inline filter, then the pump, and back into the diff.

Now I will be tapping an oil temp sensor for the diff, and running a manual on/off switch dependent on the termp of the oil. WHen the pump is off, what happens with the oil, will it too overflowing in the diff? how does it suck it up etc?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Your face is a waste of a reply.

Originally Posted by plAythiNG
Originally Posted by EOE' timestamp='1452269281' post='23846872
LOL, Science YO.
[quote name='Jaspah' timestamp='1452262237' post='23846763']

wow, what a waste of a reply...
[/quote]