S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Interesting delema

Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts
Default Interesting delema

So just a quick background, i just got done performing a F22 swap, the motor runs great which I am thrilled about, its currently in NA form by the way. I noticed that the afr's are a bit lean at 13.8 though. I assume this is because the Ap1 ecu isnt keeping up with the fuel needs of the bigger displacement motor. So until I hook up my SC i figured I would go ahead and install my CT fpr and richen things up, but its not doing this. Ive got it cranked with just a few threads showing but my afr is leaner if anything. When I first did a test run I had the fpr adjusted about half way and my afr was 17.1 crazy lean. So for the life of me I cant figure out what is going on here, I should be able to run pig rich.The fpr worked great when removed last month so I don't think the fpr is broken, but its not giving me the results I should be expecting for some reason, was hoping someone could help shed some light on what might be going on here. Thanks much
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the fuel pressure rises proportionally with boost pressure and since you are naturally aspirated there is no boost pressure to rich up the air fuel ratio...
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by s2k aok,May 18 2009, 08:45 PM
i thought the fuel pressure rises proportionally with boost pressure and since you are naturally aspirated there is no boost pressure to rich up the air fuel ratio...
That would make sense, though if that were entirely true i would still be too lean at 14afr with stock boost, I was expecting to get something out of the fpr. I remember when I was not running a belt on the SC that it was much richer then 14afr on the other motor, it was about 12. Could it all be in the ecu? I cant believe i'm running this lean. Is there something I can do to get more form the fpr? re rout vacuum lines/plug lines etc? I've got about one turn left on the fpr. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to see what it is at idle. I thought there was a measurable amount of enrichment that takes place with out the fpr seeing boost, just from the idle pressure being turned up? I should be able to get some measurable amount of enrichment without boost. I know It effected my idle and partial throttle when I ran the SC out of boost, but now I am not getting any of this, its like its almost totally transparent. Really strange, i'm confused.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you getting 13.8 at WOT or Partial? Either way, I don't think its "that" lean for NA is it? I've always thought that's how NA's motors makes power? I'd figure if you were up in the 14's then you should consider adding a bit of fuel back in.

In addition, I was told that the CT FMU does not behave like a true Fuel regulator. The configuration requires much more pressure (i.e from the blower) to increase the fuel pressure. So without your Blower being hooked up, it could explain why it actually gets leaner the further you try to thread down for "more" pressure, its give you the opposite effect with an NA motor. (I'm not sure if I am explaining it right, I will try to find where I got this info.)

I'm actually in the process right now of installing a AEM fuel regulator with a Fuel pressure gauge to solve my rich idle problem. The idea there is to use the regulator to up the pressure at idle only so that way I can increase the atomization of the fuel being put into my engine with the 1000cc's, but remove the vacuum line so the ECU still has control of the fuel pressure while driving. If this doesn't work, I'm going to switch to the BOSCH 1000's.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Mid 13's are fine on an N/A motor.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Community Organizer

Thanks for the feedback guys, well I got an update. I got the fpr to respond and give me some fuel, yay!! I guess its more evident N/A that it really ramps up quick with just the last turn left. the fpr adjust in a 12:1 ramp up under boost but also adjust idle pressure with no boost adn so this is what needed to be turned up more. So i'm happy I was able to give it a good dose of fuel, I can get it all the way down to 11afr pre vtec and 12afr up top.

I spent some time on the way to work this morning shaping the fuel curve with my vafc2, but let me just say WOW! I thought this motor was torque and responsive before. I will just say that an f22 in a lighter weight ap1 chassis with ecu, adjustable FPR, light flywheel. AWESOME!!! I went ahead and lowered vtec to 5300 rpm for now, the trq curve feels flat from 2500 -8500 rpm its crazy. I feel like I could rip the motor mounts from how responsive and how much low end trq there is at a stab of the gas peddle, I think having no flywheel weight to tame the motor spool is the biggest contributor. I haven't heard of many running an 8lb flywheel on an f22 but it works sweet!

I really was starving for fuel at 13.8-14afr i'm now at 13.2afr which is really more ideal. It was precievably running out of breath before.

Looking forward to putting my SC back on and boosting this motor
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 AM

my celica has a 7.5 lb flywheel to go along with the mp62 and it zips up the rpms real quick. i'm still not sure if i want to do a light-weight flywheel on the s2000 yet though (and a clutch change is upcomingly due). i'd love it to rev faster but it's nice that with the s2000 i can drive sloppy in terms of clutch engagement and throttle.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by s2k aok,May 19 2009, 10:52 AM
my celica has a 7.5 lb flywheel to go along with the mp62 and it zips up the rpms real quick. i'm still not sure if i want to do a light-weight flywheel on the s2000 yet though (and a clutch change is upcomingly due). i'd love it to rev faster but it's nice that with the s2000 i can drive sloppy in terms of clutch engagement and throttle.
It may not be as bad as you are anticipating, the car is more responsive and sensitive to throttle inputs and the clutch is a little grabbier compared to before, but I enjoy that along with the performance attributes, if those are things you cant live with then mabe its not for you. Now is the time to do it though if your going to. If you do I highly recomend the Findanza. Been running the same one on two motors now. 4 years old, never an issue and if your going to do it, might as well get the lightest made for the car. The removable friction plate will come in handy some day as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you got that 2.2L in there and running. I hope the boosting process goes well with this one.

I am finally going to be strapping mine down to the dyno in the coming weeks and tweaking the F/IC and 440's. wish me luck!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by SuzukaBlueAP2,May 19 2009, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear you got that 2.2L in there and running. I hope the boosting process goes well with this one.

I am finally going to be strapping mine down to the dyno in the coming weeks and tweaking the F/IC and 440's. wish me luck!
Good luck

440cc should be kind to you. I'd still like to try these on the stock ecu to see how they run.