S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Kraftwerks SC inbound, advice would be helpful.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Wondering if someone should create a KW support group sub forum people can go to for some counseling and consoling, share their stories?
The following users liked this post:
Gregory Jauregui (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, well ive read alot on these kits and bought it anyway. Sorry if intruding or thread jacking, my 2nd post on s2ki. I got the latest revision kit and noticed arp vtec bolts (same square gasket), longer idler pully stud (not sure the grade) enought to add another bolt with fully hand threaded in. Arp bolt for revised vtec re inforcment bracket, and Koyo bearings. Same left side charge air pipe fitment issues. Tech support said it comes down to belt tension. After discussion, tech said belt was probably too loose then said probably was too tight.. Im lost, i set the belt tension according to the install instructions. The gates carbon drive app read differnet dependinding on how hard you strum the belt and phone positon. I researched till eyes bleed, people say tight is best, losser is best, couldnt find a single youtube video of the matter.... if the rotrex unit only needs a hub bolt, I may call LHT and ask if i can pay labor hours for a vid chat to set belt tension...
Old 12-19-2019, 07:46 PM

Here is my 07 s2k during during final stages of install
Old 12-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Old 12-19-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed my KW kit in March '15. I experienced many of the early teething issues with this kit but KW customer service was fantastic. They would overnight parts at a moment's notice. One time I broke the belt (the 20mm one) on track on a Friday morning and had a new belt on my porch Saturday before noon.

Many of the issues seem to be related to belt tension. The belt gets tighter when it warms up and doesn't need to be as tight as a V belt. I tighten mine when it is cold and set the tension by only finger tightening the tension bolt. I then start it, let it run a couple of seconds and finger tighten it again. Do this until the tension bolt does not tighten anymore without tools. It should seem too loose for a belt when cold but not floppy.
zanahale (12-19-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:57 AM

Yep i also adjusted the tensioner bolt finger tight while cold, did the initial start up and adjust traction fluid, warm up, and re check tension. After warm up and initial break in, the rotrex unit and belt whine quieted down a bit. I rechecked belt tension and felt about the same. I could twist the belt between 45 and 90 degrees. I re checked belt tension and traction fluid between dyno pulls while i was there. I went home for a bit, then got a call from the tuner that the hub bolt snapped. The rotrex hub bolt was pre installed and the only bolt from the kit that i didnt touch. I read not to re move or re torque voids warranty so i left it alone. I didnt even bother to remove the pully from hub to check the hub bolt head for grade as the pully allen bolts were still properly torqued w red loctite. I just shipped back to kraftwerks as it was when it broke. I was hoping for a speedy turn around from kraftwerks but no call back or updated since tuesday this week. I will call today and see where we sit as far as repairs
Old 12-20-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 617 Likes on 423 Posts

Jesus Christ....
Old 12-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by beechx1
I installed my KW kit in March '15. I experienced many of the early teething issues with this kit but KW customer service was fantastic. They would overnight parts at a moment's notice. One time I broke the belt (the 20mm one) on track on a Friday morning and had a new belt on my porch Saturday before noon.

Many of the issues seem to be related to belt tension. The belt gets tighter when it warms up and doesn't need to be as tight as a V belt. I tighten mine when it is cold and set the tension by only finger tightening the tension bolt. I then start it, let it run a couple of seconds and finger tighten it again. Do this until the tension bolt does not tighten anymore without tools. It should seem too loose for a belt when cold but not floppy.
I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. I'm not talking to you specifically and calling you out for the advice, but I mean in general. This kit is FAR too sensitive to belt tension to be viable. You either have a catastrophic failure or you do not. I can understand the importance of proper belt tension in a cogged setup....which is the main reason why you never see it being utilized on street cars aside from KW kits. Other blower manufacturers have specific verbatim advising against using cogged setups, and through my research cogged/toothed/Gilmer setups are highly discouraged for street use across ALL platforms.

Ironically, KW is the only supercharger kit manufacturer that uses such a setup in their FRS/BRZ & S2000 kits, and of course, those kits are experiencing the most failures, by far. I just find it unfair to simply assume that every time a grade 12.9 blower hub bolt shears off it's due to improper tension. I don't think most people are as stupid as sometimes implied....the latest failures happened to people all very aware of this kits notoriety, and who took the proper steps to mitigate the issues. Until there is an absolute set in stone method to tension this belt so it doesn't blow up, this simply cannot be regarded as a good kit. Even an LHT-installed kit had a documented failure recently....was repaired, and failed again.

I tried my best to stand behind this kit and really compile information, but there's a definite problem here....and if this kit cannot be installed reliably by all of except one shop down in Florida, then it simply is a terrible kit for the consumer market, period.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kyle:
Chibo (12-20-2019), Gregory Jauregui (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gregory Jauregui
Yep i also adjusted the tensioner bolt finger tight while cold, did the initial start up and adjust traction fluid, warm up, and re check tension. After warm up and initial break in, the rotrex unit and belt whine quieted down a bit. I rechecked belt tension and felt about the same. I could twist the belt between 45 and 90 degrees. I re checked belt tension and traction fluid between dyno pulls while i was there. I went home for a bit, then got a call from the tuner that the hub bolt snapped. The rotrex hub bolt was pre installed and the only bolt from the kit that i didnt touch. I read not to re move or re torque voids warranty so i left it alone. I didnt even bother to remove the pully from hub to check the hub bolt head for grade as the pully allen bolts were still properly torqued w red loctite. I just shipped back to kraftwerks as it was when it broke. I was hoping for a speedy turn around from kraftwerks but no call back or updated since tuesday this week. I will call today and see where we sit as far as repairs

Sorry to hear about all of your issues man. If you have a FB account can you please chime in to the "Kraftwerks Supercharged Honda S2000 owners group"? That group has a ton more exposure and there's KW people actively watching it. More people need to be aware of these failures, and the alarmingly acute occurrences of similar failures.

Last edited by Kyle; 12-20-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Gregory Jauregui (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Thank you kyle and i agree %100 with you. I dont use social media much beside lurk forums for info.. Kraftwerks had my kit all this week. Let me get an update form them before i get my pitch fork. They have been slowly working with me which is better than against

Quick Reply: Kraftwerks SC inbound, advice would be helpful.