S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

My Poor Kraftwerks Experience

Old 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the op. Sorry for your grief and headaches and glad you're doing what you have to do to make it right.

I plan to boost my s2k just like every other car I've owned but the fact that I see so many threads here about missing or wrong parts and now sending back previously broken parts lol with these kits makes me doubt the competence of the people checking these kits before they go out to the buyer. I'd rather buy from the vendor with about 150 pages of boosted satisfaction on this forum meaning Science of Speed.

Yep its
Rosario717
Old 05-26-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same problem ! posted in my thread ( chefs kraftwerks experience) i also broke same bolt and ended up payin the overnight there and bak 80 bux cause this is my daily driver...i would think that the only thing that can cause this is the belt tension? they replaced my pulley and hub and i had the blower bak in a week.. btw this is the 81 ..hope some one figures this out ..as soon as my diff is fixed i will get out to billman for an inspection on the kit
Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently own an SOS and was planning on switching to this kit on my new build, but I have not yet decided on to switch or not I hate to see this kind of experience so I guess I can only sit back and hear if how many people have this issue and just research more on this.

Sucks to see you go through this and hope everything works out for you!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jojobrown
I currently own an SOS and was planning on switching to this kit on my new build, but I have not yet decided on to switch or not I hate to see this kind of experience so I guess I can only sit back and hear if how many people have this issue and just research more on this.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Damn Chip...glad you decided to share. A post like this would have saved you a ton of headaches had you read it prior.
Thanks J, yeah man, if I only knew sooner. Live and learn I guess.

Originally Posted by Jezek
Well, I guess I'll cross them off my list of potential sc kits. I just can't deal with people/businesses that offer such poor customer service and outright lack of concern. Sorry about your experience but I appreciate the post.
Thanks man, I will say communication was there the majority of the time, it wasn't until my final email asking to be reimbursed where I didn't receive a response back.

Originally Posted by CRVRX
We are a kraftwerks dealer and installer, I don't like to see this kinda of thing and I believe it maybe just mishandled . We have installed and tuned 14 S2000 kits in the last 8 months with no issues, I must admit their instructions are not the clearest if you've never done one before ,but they are quality kits.

The first 2 kits we installed didn't have the extra pulley that's now standard, Kraftwerks sent us the extra pulley and belt for both kits and asked us to upgrade them as a precaution.

We have also found on a few kits the idler pulley is installed backwards on the spacer causing it to not spin free when torqued, We let Kraftwerks know any issues we see so they can correct for the future. This is still a new kit and there's always a few growing pains go along with it. I think it's still the best power producing quality kit that just works. One of customers has 37,000 miles on the kit we installed and is heavy on the car.

I would have no problem recommending this kit to our customers, but I would recommend you have the kit installed and tuned by a trusted shop and let them handle any potential issues.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't think the kit is bad overall and I agree that when boosting anything issues do arise. You can ask my installer himself how much of a pleasure I was to deal with and he wished he had 100 more customers like me. I didn't yell at him or find him and the tuner at fault, I actually laughed that this even happened at all. What hurt me the most was the way it was handled. Time delays in shipping mostly, then being charged shipping fees (which I honestly didn't mind paying until Wayne received my unfixed SC unit back), and then being ignored when I voiced my concerns.

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
The broken bolt is an indicator of some serious issues and shows there is a definitive lack of quality control/quality assurance. I understand mistakes happen, however this was the primary issue of the return and an oversight here is akin to changing a flat tire, and then putting that same flat tire back on. Or that was a colossal act of passive aggression. Either of these scenarios are inexcusable.

The lack of contrition on the vendor's part is telling as well. You should have been refunded the 42.00 This appears to be plain callous insensitivity to its customers.

I'm vortech sc'd, and was considering going to a quieter setup. I can't support a company whose vision is fiscally myopic, inconsistent, and inconsiderate.

Thank you for sharing your experience
Thanks man, I think it was just a mistake shipping the broken parts back and it was not done maliciously. In any event it sucks that it happened, but hopefully my experience will help prevent future issues like this from happening as far as the customer service aspect goes.

Originally Posted by tom153
When I had a c38 blower seize up on my M3, I called the vendor, they gave me an RMA#, I shipped it off to Miami and had a replacement unit back within I think a week. Rotrex confirmed that there was bearing damage and it must have gotten hot and seized up. All I had to do was buy new oil lines, cooler and the traction fluid. On top of all that, this was a kit I bought second hand! The way your issue was handled by KW is so unfortunate.
Thanks Tom, I'm glad your issue was taken care of quickly. Hopefully this was a stepping stone for Kraftwerks and things will be better from here on out.

Originally Posted by KraftWerks
Originally Posted by The Machine' timestamp='1432596926' post='23624414
I know this is going to be an epic post, but I really need to share this info and express my frustration with Kraftwerks. I feel more compelled to write this now because a fellow member Nik2k has reached out to me personally because he is now experiencing the same issue. I’m sorry to the mods if this isn’t the place for it, but since it revolves around my forced induction issue, I thought it was the most relevant section for it. Again I’m sorry for the long post.

Everyone - Aside from being noted as an 'Engineer' this information appears to be a direct copy/paste of the email correspondence. No bs, white smoke, mirrors, etc.

The customer had a bolt failure due to an unknown cause.

The failure itself, which appears to be noted as a few individuals on here is not something commonly found with the setup and design. We've sold 100s of FRS/BRZ kits (C30 and C38 variants), nearing the figure with S2000 both -81 and -91 as well as the NC Miata using the same Hub Adapter / Cogged Pulley Setup. With the same 'few' number of failures noted. This is being looked into by R&D to assess where the issue actually lies.

The warranty policy and procedure noted is exactly what I send to each and every customer who calls and/or emails up as those most concise way of explaining how the process works should the claim need to be escalated to Rotrex for inspection as it is their product and only they can truly assess the warranty on it.

In this case, we were able to swap the components over without escalating to Rotrex being the Rotrex unit was and is still functioning properly. Myself and Dr. Charles (Shop Tech with Group-A / Skunk2 for the last 9-10 Years) inspected the unit to ensure the unit was functioning as it should short of opening the unit and voiding the warranty for the customer. The unit is then given back to the kitting staff to re-install and assemble where one of the issues arose in that it was packaged up promptly after having forgot to remove the bolt and re-install a new hub adapter and bolt. Admittedly at the fault of our own which is why the shipping was upgraded out of our pocket as it was our own mistake which held the process up the extra 3 days.

I'm not sure what companies cover overnight shipping on warranty cases whether it be their product or one they sell from another mfg but I've yet to find them personally. Each warranty case or RMA I've ever entered, again personally, has succumb to ground shipping which as a consumer I assumed was the standard. With any warranty cases involving shipping, we do offer the expedited rate should the customer require the product quicker at a discounted, difference in value against the ground service we offer. The problem noted with overnight shipping or receiving a new unit overnight, etc.... specifically noted from that post is that that was from 2009. We're a vastly different company than we were back when JR/Group-A were the team that brought you KW which launches an entirely new conversation but most notably... things have changed and quite honestly, for the better.

To bring us back to the OP, I have every intention of reimbursing the shipping charges although again, not the 'norm' nor the standard by any means but the task admittedly fell to the bottom of my personal growing pile of work and was set aside.

As always, my information has been posted numerous times in numerous posts for those to reach out to my directly to voice any concerns, recommendations or issues, etc. and I will do my best to answer as quickly as I can.

E: cjweidl@group-a-eng.com

OP - I will be sending you an email shortly to resolve the matter of freight reimbursement.

- CJ
CJ, based on your email signature "Group-A Engineering" I thought that was your title, if not, I apologize. I am very curious to know what R&D comes up with as far as these bolt failures are concerned, should they figure out an answer, as they do seem to be a rising issue among the S2K community. I also appreciate the fact you owned up to the shipping error which delayed the process further.

To address the ground shipping issue and then paying the extra shipping fees...I understand that the thread I posted and the post that was made by OJRKraftWerks was from 2009, however, the company that still posted it was Kraftwerks. So no matter what happened behind the scenes, I find it hard to believe that getting the customer back on the road faster would become less of a priority. So in 2009 Kraftwerks went from overnighting parts for a customer at their expense to 2015 where Kraftwerks ships ground or the customer can pay for faster service. I don't really see how that is changing for the better. I know that overnighting parts isn't really a standard procedure for most companies, but I found a thread stating that's what Kraftwerks did for their customer to aid in getting them back on the road faster, Kraftwerks set that precedent, not me, so that's what I expected for my situation. Anyway, I digress. Honestly, at first I was a little taken back about being asked to pay the difference in shipping fees because in the grand scheme of things overnighting a part here and there should be petty cash to a large company considering that customers are shelling out 5k+ for one of these kits. However, after thinking about it more and getting over my initial displeasure, I said you know what, I'll gladly pay the extra $42 just so Wayne can have it back into his hands faster. The ONLY reason I was asking to be reimbursed is because my supercharger was shipped back and the new adapter and hub bolt were not even installed onto it. Had it been shipped back fully assembled, I would have eaten that $42 and been damn happy I did so just because I knew my car would have been back on the road that week.

Also, I agree with Leoxle in the post below as well. While I do appreciate you coming forth, I feel like it was done because this thread was created. Also as an already scorned customer the line "the task admittedly fell to the bottom of my personal growing pile of work and was set aside", doesn't exactly make me feel much better, but hey, I guess I really can't fault you for being honest about it.

Despite all that has happened, you are not my enemy CJ and I don't have any ill will feelings towards you. Your communication back and forth with me was actually pretty good through this process. The ball was just dropped at the very end when things were finally coming together and then when my final email was set aside. I just wish things would have been handled a little differently and it would have turned my whole experience around. That said, I would like to think that should anything arise in the future that we could still work together amicably and fix it. I still think this is a great kit even with the little mishap in the beginning. It includes basically everything you could want in a kit without having to piece together parts and the car really does perform well and is a blast to drive.

Originally Posted by leoxle
Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP. It's really unfortunate. This is why I chose SOS. Unbeatable customer service. Also, its nice to see Kraftwerks reply with their above post^, at least they are coming through at the end. However, I feel like its because OP has publicized this ordeal. As stated by OP, its been about 25 days since his last email to kraftwerks and NOW they say they will send an email, only after this thread was created. Any form of reply should have been done weeks ago. Also, I just personally feel that saying "the task admittedly fell to the bottom of my personal growing pile of work and was set aside." as a explanation to why a follow-up email was not sent out is a bit unprofessional for a large company. Just my .02 cents.
Thanks Leo, I agree with everything you have said and I addressed it in my response above.

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
Please create a thread or post here if problems are identified and fixes/revisions are performed. Otherwise people are driving around with ticking time bombs. Some of us like to keep up on TSB's and revised parts to ensure the highest reliability.
If any updates are ever given, I'll be sure to post an update.

Originally Posted by UberDuper
Other then accidentally sending the SC back with the old bolt in there, I don't really see where KW did anything wrong here.
They were incurring the costs of an almost certainly unnecessary shipping and inspection of the blower.

This could have been resolved in just a few days by just getting the damaged parts replaced. Good on them for not just saying, "Set the tension properly and don't overspin it." and charging you for those parts.
Uber, I can agree and disagree with you. I agree in the aspect that it could have been handled basically in a few days. And I'm also thankful that I wasn't given some run of the mill response and told to deal with it. I disagree in the fact that you think the SC didn't need to be inspected. If you spent over 5k on a kit and the main piece of the kit had a failure, even if it was a bolt that goes into the back of it, you wouldn't want it inspected? You also don't see that it was pretty negligent to ignore a customers email for reimbursement after receiving parts back they paid extra for and they aren't assembled correctly?

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
To the op. Sorry for your grief and headaches and glad you're doing what you have to do to make it right.

I plan to boost my s2k just like every other car I've owned but the fact that I see so many threads here about missing or wrong parts and now sending back previously broken parts lol with these kits makes me doubt the competence of the people checking these kits before they go out to the buyer. I'd rather buy from the vendor with about 150 pages of boosted satisfaction on this forum meaning Science of Speed.

Yep its
Rosario717
Thanks man. In the end you have to purchase what you think is best for you, however, I don't think the kit is bad even with the hiccup in the beginning.

Originally Posted by chefs2000
i had the same problem ! posted in my thread ( chefs kraftwerks experience) i also broke same bolt and ended up payin the overnight there and bak 80 bux cause this is my daily driver...i would think that the only thing that can cause this is the belt tension? they replaced my pulley and hub and i had the blower bak in a week.. btw this is the 81 ..hope some one figures this out ..as soon as my diff is fixed i will get out to billman for an inspection on the kit
Oh damn, I didn't know you ran into the same issue too, I'm sorry to hear. I have been in your thread before too, but the last time I checked it must have been before this issue occurred. It could possibly be belt tension, but from what I am told, the biggest issue could possibly be overspinning the supercharger or hitting the rev limiter. These Rotrex blower HATE the Honda rev limiter. So you really have to pay attention when driving to not over rev. The car makes so much power that when I shift I don't really even like to come close to maxing the rpm out just to avoid any failure by hitting the rev limiter at all. So just try and be more mindful when getting into the higher rpm ranges and shift a little bit sooner before hitting redline. Good luck man!

Originally Posted by jojobrown

Thanks Jojo, if you are already supercharged, why switch to another SC kit? Seems like it's just a lateral move. Can you possibly just upgrade the one you have on the car now? I kind of look at it as, if it's not broke, don't fix it type deal. If the one you have is going strong, maybe just upgrade it since it's already proven to be really reliable for you.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Timing on resolution seems a little convenient here. I wish company's would do the right thing because it's the right thing...not because they don't want to lose future business.

Oh well...I guess it is what it is and all party's involved probably have their own history and perspective on things.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also wanted to note that when I took the blower pulley apart by taking out the 6 allenbolts, and took off the mounting plate behind pulley to expose the broken head of bolt, in the cavity where the head fits was a lot of metal shavings .. Like it spun the bolt and not the pulley and the little ridges on the bolt wore off ... I still don't understand why that bolt is round head instead of 6 point so it actually can catch the pulley ... Does this make any sense ? Or does it seem fine that the blower bolt is held down only by force and those little ridges on the head
Old 05-26-2015, 07:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with this kit. Hopefully it's just a simple design flaw, or just a stronger bolt needed to remedy the situation. The fact that Kraftwerks have had multiple complaints about missing parts etc is disturbing. They "CJ", responds saying sorry, and they are working on a fix, but nothing gets done like a packing list and detailed instructions is not a good sign. My PTuning kit came with a detailed parts list and very good install instructions. My current TTS kit came with great install instructions and the company was there to help with any problems. I do like the rotrex blower because of its efficiency and quiet operation. I think the rotrex system is a great alternative to the SOS kit. I was able to make over 510 whp with only 16 psi on E85 with this blower which is very good compared with a Paxton at the same boost level. To the OP, I hope things come to an amicable solution, and you continue to enjoy your forced induction experience.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 PM

damn...
almost order this kit.
thx to my worn out clutch, i was plan to order after i broke in my new clutch.

to OP hope everything works out well for u.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I call these nightmares..... Spends 5k plus and have a horrible experience for couple months..... If the kit was purchase new, why not just send u a new unit instead of going through all these inspection..I know SOS would've just sent u a new unit without any question asked!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Poor Kraftwerks Experience