S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

My Turbo/Motec Build

Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I pretty much gave up on the 1/2 mile stuff with the s2k. Im still going to attend the next one i can, but i believe the aero effort Stu put in, is REQUIRED, and I just dont feel like putting more effort & $ into doing that. I would be happy with where he is at now. I dont believe 200 is a realistic goal for this car anymore.

Stu, car looks amazing. performed amazing. Im suprised the bumper came off. You did the "aero" mod on that too yes?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LostMarine
I pretty much gave up on the 1/2 mile stuff with the s2k. Im still going to attend the next one i can, but i believe the aero effort Stu put in, is REQUIRED, and I just dont feel like putting more effort & $ into doing that. I would be happy with where he is at now. I dont believe 200 is a realistic goal for this car anymore.

Stu, car looks amazing. performed amazing. Im suprised the bumper came off. You did the "aero" mod on that too yes?
Honestly I think the car squatted hard enough and/or hit a bump on braking at around 165. There was a very obvious white mark on the passenger side rear tire that I think is from contacting the rear bumper. I am going to raise the car a bit in the back, and make sure the new bumper I have coming is secured better.

FWIW, I think the S2000 is 200mph capable, but you are going to need a really good traction control system, the correct gearing to get you there in 5th, and around 1,000whp. My car on 295's was using TC to nearly 90mph at only ~750whp. I have driven it with no TC at around 850whp and while it wasn't "I am going to die" scary, it certainly wasn't a breeze to control.

Last edited by hatrickstu; 06-24-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Haltech's drag racing setup uses a fixed torque management target rather than TC. Not sure of the advantage. https://www.haltech.com/haltechs-adv...rip-less-slip/ Not sure if it can be done with the M150, or if it is an option or plugin.

Is there a way to reduce drag? MrSideways uses a fairly thick radiator that is only about 3/4 the width and uses the rest for a cold air intake. From the pictures it looked like your air intake is behind the radiator under the pipe from intercooler to turbo. everything is drag at 200mph.

Is the turbo the limiting factor in boost levels? The idea behind doing a pre-turbo or volute water/meth injection is to make the charge denser in the compressor, effectively increasing its mass flow rate, not unlike a compound turbo. The flow rate is controlled with a pwm solenoid. https://prometh.com/collections/volu...ion-dual-stage, https://prometh.com/collections/snip...ight-couplers?

Another low cost change would be an air-to-water intercooler. It has higher heat capacitance, especially at low speed. There is lots of discussion about dry ice intercoolers, and PWR lists an air-to-ice intercooler: https://www.pwr.com.au/portfolio/air...e-intercoolers .

There are also engine chillers. A tad more expensive but not that much. They connect to engines cooling system with dry break fittings between runs. The oil stays warm but the coolant is chilled. https://www.jerrybickel.com/cooling-...ssories-1.html, The Trickle-Down Effect

It sounds like a custom ratio would help...a 10-13% split between 4th and 5th. That is expensive. The radiator, water/meth, intercooler, and chiller are much less expensive. A gear change from 4.88 to 4.56 would do it with the transmission ratios for 188...just...barely. If the car is traction limited off the line, there would probably no negative effects.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Haltech's drag racing setup uses a fixed torque management target rather than TC. Not sure of the advantage. https://www.haltech.com/haltechs-adv...rip-less-slip/ Not sure if it can be done with the M150, or if it is an option or plugin.

Is there a way to reduce drag? MrSideways uses a fairly thick radiator that is only about 3/4 the width and uses the rest for a cold air intake. From the pictures it looked like your air intake is behind the radiator under the pipe from intercooler to turbo. everything is drag at 200mph.

Is the turbo the limiting factor in boost levels? The idea behind doing a pre-turbo or volute water/meth injection is to make the charge denser in the compressor, effectively increasing its mass flow rate, not unlike a compound turbo. The flow rate is controlled with a pwm solenoid. https://prometh.com/collections/volu...ion-dual-stage, https://prometh.com/collections/snip...ight-couplers?

Another low cost change would be an air-to-water intercooler. It has higher heat capacitance, especially at low speed. There is lots of discussion about dry ice intercoolers, and PWR lists an air-to-ice intercooler: https://www.pwr.com.au/portfolio/air...e-intercoolers .

There are also engine chillers. A tad more expensive but not that much. They connect to engines cooling system with dry break fittings between runs. The oil stays warm but the coolant is chilled. https://www.jerrybickel.com/cooling-...ssories-1.html, The Trickle-Down Effect

It sounds like a custom ratio would help...a 10-13% split between 4th and 5th. That is expensive. The radiator, water/meth, intercooler, and chiller are much less expensive. A gear change from 4.88 to 4.56 would do it with the transmission ratios for 188...just...barely. If the car is traction limited off the line, there would probably no negative effects.
David I think you are REALLY overthinking all of this as it relates to my car. I am not looking to build an all out race car and I definitely do not have my eyes on 200mph stuff any time soon. If I were looking at some all out maximum effort build the car would be on methanol with a much bigger turbo. My goals were much simpler. I wanted something 850-900whp that I could drive pretty much whenever, still handled good, and could perform well in the 1/2, 1/4, and maybe some auto-x stuff. It's got everything hardware wise I need, now it's time to have fun.

In regards to how I am managing traction now, the strategy is completely wheel slip based. It takes all of the variables into the equation and will allow me to play with some cool things in the future. While the car doesn't make enough power in most situations now, when winter sets in and slip becomes more of a factor I plan on playing with how much I feel comfortable with and at which point the car accelerates the hardest.

My trans is geared pretty uniquely, and I don't plan on releasing all the information there, but 9,500 in fifth will get me 190 on a 25" tall tire

Last edited by hatrickstu; 06-24-2018 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jrod4484 (04-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice vids and congrats on your build. Looks like so much fun. It prob feels so good to be able to make passes with just about no worry of drivetrain failures. Loved this build from the start.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Nice vids and congrats on your build. Looks like so much fun. It prob feels so good to be able to make passes with just about no worry of drivetrain failures. Loved this build from the start.
I am not sure how much you know about my failures, but there has basically been two years of frustration. To say it was a relief is an understatement! Thank you!
Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
Honestly I think the car squatted hard enough and/or hit a bump on braking at around 165. There was a very obvious white mark on the passenger side rear tire that I think is from contacting the rear bumper. I am going to raise the car a bit in the back, and make sure the new bumper I have coming is secured better.

FWIW, I think the S2000 is 200mph capable, but you are going to need a really good traction control system, the correct gearing to get you there in 5th, and around 1,000whp. My car on 295's was using TC to nearly 90mph at only ~750whp. I have driven it with no TC at around 850whp and while it wasn't "I am going to die" scary, it certainly wasn't a breeze to control.
Between getting older, and my left lane to right lane with the steering held at 9 o'clock at ocala last year, i wish everyone else luck. i would like to get 175+ at least once though. Now im curious what other short wheelbased cars have hit or come close to 200. I know myles, but hes got plenty of HP and aero to match. 911s have but i feel they have better design and awd. You made it look easy, but im not convinced

oh, and get yourself a dragy, your gonna like it way better than vbox
Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 06-25-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Lol, I know Myles quite well. His goals and mine are not nearly the same. Also notice there isn't a ton of the stuff you have brought up on that car. Methanol and a big turbo solve almost all the points you have brought up for a full race car
Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by LostMarine
Between getting older, and my left lane to right lane with the steering held at 9 o'clock at ocala last year, i wish everyone else luck. i would like to get 175+ at least once though. Now im curious what other short wheelbased cars have hit or come close to 200. I know myles, but hes got plenty of HP and aero to match. 911s have but i feel they have better design and awd. You made it look easy, but im not convinced

oh, and get yourself a dragy, your gonna like it way better than vbox
I had a Draggy on the car

While the wheelbase definitely plays a role, eliminating rear lift is the main thing that made mine comfortable to drive at speed.

Quick Reply: My Turbo/Motec Build