S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

The offending secondary air injection system

Old 05-02-2005, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the previous owner put the Comptech emission compliance sticker under the hood?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,May 2 2005, 05:15 AM
The MAP sensor lines shouldn't be T-'d into the Air injection lines.
This is most likely his main problem.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 281 Posts

The CARB EO# is on the blower bracket.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:21 PM

Wow, many questions in {} to answer

{Did the previous owner put the Comptech emission compliance sticker under the hood?}

There is a emissions legal sticker attached to the blower, thats the only one i can see.

{Ignore the Vacuum lines/check valve attached to the MAP sensor. They are not part of the air injection system. They are used for bleeding off boost from MAP sensor. At a later date, you should remove them and install a Comtech ESM.
This might be hard for him to do. If I "read" his earlier description correctly, those lines (to the MAP and to the open check valve) are "T'd" to the secondary air injection vacuum lines. Would "T'ing" into this system like this not affect the way it works?}

The Map sensor is teed into the upper line of the sec inj system along with a check valve that bleeds boost ftom the system as decribed correctly eralier in the thread. When I remove the white check valve and blow through it with my mouth it indicates that the system shoud be able to vent excess pressure, but not draw air in. Seems right. But When I reinstall the valve as before, on idle it seems to be doing nothing (as determined by neither blowing or sucking on my finger which I have placed over the end). Seems right. Here is where it gets weird. Under high reving the system seems to actuall be drawing air into it via the valve instead of venting it. AM I wrong in my understanding?

{I just saw this thread where an owner has this same early Comptech system:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=287662&hl=
Might want to ask him how his set-up runs and if he also has the CEL bulb pulled. And does his car pass emissions}

Already done it via PM. Awaiting response.

Cel light has been installed.

{If it where my car, I'd yank all of them and start over. You could try calling Comptech for an old diagram from the MAP sensor check valve junk. }

Have contacted comptech, they refered me to new diagram on wesite. Now I know I have the older system, I'll contact them again

I removed and inspecetd the map sensor. There is a blocking plate below it which stops it seeing what is going on in intake, which makes sense now. Only 2 connections are electrical one and vac one one going to sec inj system, so I dont think I can remove it.

{I see that you have a front mounted air to air intercooler. One of the charge pipes runs in the same area the air pump is. Did they remove the pump? }

On cold start the ACV chatters for ~5-10 at idle. We connected a vac guage to the ACV inlet line and it does pull good vac druing this time, then shuts off-seems like the solenoid valve is working ok. There is a very high pitched whining during this time from the air pump (at the drive side bumper also) which as far as we can tell is hooked up

The car produces hardly any extra pull at VTEC between, boost guages tee in of FPR says it is ~5 psi which is a bad sign

Any idea how much an ESM is going to cost?

I think the CEL was on from when the sc was installed and that is why the rich owner, who didnt give a toss about emissions 3 years ago, had it removed. The lack of boost/accel is a more recent thing, but is proabaly connected to the CEL/lack of ESM.

Finally, just to turn the knife a little more, I had a blowout (very large bang) at 85 mph on I90, 50 miles from home, yesterday (sunday). Considering I had 4 new yokos installed ~500 miles ago, i wasnt very impressed. Seeing as the car doesnt have a spare, due to the trunk being stuffed with ICE, something which i had been planing to rectify, but was concentrating on getting the engine sorted, and the tire wouldnt reinflate even a little bit with my electic air pump, I had to drive 1 mile to get off the interstate and then another 2 miles to a garage, where i left the car.

Tirerack will replace the tire for half cost. I have to wait tuntil it arrives on wed and then drive the 50 miles to the garage where i left my car. Does that suck or what?

(PS tirerack said the blowout was most likey caused by a leaky valve stem or improper installation-does this sound like BS?)- I wasnt going to agrue with them when they offered me half price on a replacement. I know I didnt run over anything.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfishs,May 3 2005, 09:21 AM
Any idea how much an ESM is going to cost?
$60 shipped. I have a spare (actually a Split Second VC1) that I'm dying to find a good home for.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Holly be jesus!!!!!!!!!!! I was in a hurry to get one for this weekend, when I drive 200 miles to drop of my car with the mechanic, so I bought one from comptech

$149

Is the comptech ESM or your one tunable for A/F etc?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, all it does is prevent the ECM from seeing boost. If your FMU is set right you should be OK, some users might be a little lean in VTEC but many have had no problems running 100% 'stock' Comptech with no additional A/F tweaking. (me being one). I agree with the first step should be to install the ESM - MAKE SURE THE WIRE CONNECTIONS ARE GOOD, soldered if possible. Lots of reports of trouble caused by flaky connections.