S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Planning my turbo set up

Old 04-14-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

If it's not a daily driver I would even consider a 9lb flywheel. Imo a turbo s2k is much faster and more fun than a sc one making the same power. Honestly making 400whp is rather easy for a f20 or f22. Instead of making a custom exhaust have you considered an e cutout?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

One big difference between PTuning and SOS is the wastegate. SOS uses an internal wastegate (which I'm usually a fan of) but with the older Garrett 5-bolt flange. The newest Garretts and BW EFR dump the IWG into the housings V-band flange. PTuning uses an external wastegate and offers a downpipe that includes a merge of the dump tube. They also ship with an older Garrett turbo.

Both of those kits tuck the turbo under the manifold keeping a lot of the heat out of the engine compartment and making plumbing and installing the downpipe easier.

I'd be a fan of the BW EFR for this application because of the internal wastegate, integrated BOV on the compressor housing, mount for the included 3-port WG solenoid on compressor housing, availability of compressor housings with 90° (from BW) or swivel (aftermarket) compressor housings, and the lightweight turbine wheel. To me, less plumbing is always an advantage.

The trick with all the turbos in this application is the efficiency of the compressor at the low pressure-ratios of a high-compression turbo engine on pump gas. OEM turbos are designed for that (now usually with direct injection and sometimes variable turbine housing vanes). Aftermarket turbos, less so.
The following users liked this post:
S2KLINY (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by umair
If it's not a daily driver I would even consider a 9lb flywheel. Imo a turbo s2k is much faster and more fun than a sc one making the same power. Honestly making 400whp is rather easy for a f20 or f22. Instead of making a custom exhaust have you considered an e cutout?
I agree with you, umair. That's why i'm leaning toward TC over SC - it's been my experience and preference for some time.
The car is not daily driven but I do want it to be comfortable. I saw SOS had 11.5 and 8.5 flywheels, so I have options there.
I've had some pretty poor experiences with e cutouts, but it's been years since i've had one so perhaps they are better now (or I just did it poorly). I had one on a turbo SE-R I built years back and overtime it failed (like 1.5 years). Any recommendations on a solid one? I'd consider it.

Last edited by S2KLINY; 04-15-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
One big difference between PTuning and SOS is the wastegate. SOS uses an internal wastegate (which I'm usually a fan of) but with the older Garrett 5-bolt flange. The newest Garretts and BW EFR dump the IWG into the housings V-band flange. PTuning uses an external wastegate and offers a downpipe that includes a merge of the dump tube. They also ship with an older Garrett turbo.

Both of those kits tuck the turbo under the manifold keeping a lot of the heat out of the engine compartment and making plumbing and installing the downpipe easier.

I'd be a fan of the BW EFR for this application because of the internal wastegate, integrated BOV on the compressor housing, mount for the included 3-port WG solenoid on compressor housing, availability of compressor housings with 90° (from BW) or swivel (aftermarket) compressor housings, and the lightweight turbine wheel. To me, less plumbing is always an advantage.

The trick with all the turbos in this application is the efficiency of the compressor at the low pressure-ratios of a high-compression turbo engine on pump gas. OEM turbos are designed for that (now usually with direct injection and sometimes variable turbine housing vanes). Aftermarket turbos, less so.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered a BW set up - I was leaning on these pre-fabbed kits for SUPER simplicity in install, but I do have a friend that is pushing me toward creating our own kit and the way you're talking about these BW turbos, it's appealing. Appreciate the input and will definitely consider it. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:42 AM

Just added some updates for you all. Thanks for the support.