S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Question about Mixing fuel for a safer octane

Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the afr is not perfectly at 14.7 at idle then likely closed loop is not enabled. It is near impossible to always be at stoich without closed loop. It would be hard to perfectly correct for every condition and aem does not even have a 3D map for correcting fuel based on air temp anyways. It is only 2D. So this does not mean the idle tune is bad...may just need closed loop on if you want to stay perfect.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys, found out it isn't closed loop idle. so I'm not to worried about. Just need to see why I'm So rich up top swinging by Kings Friday for him to take a look.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by profit_child
Originally Posted by DaGou' timestamp='1452544754' post='23849413
I am not loving the 91% injector duty number.

Personally I do not like depending on the mixed fuel for a tune on my car. I know you said it was only a buffer for track days but it a really an issue everytime you are at full boost/high RPM.

Either your tune is good for 93 octane or it is not.

Playing with gas mixtures is not something you want to do.

The tune was said to be conservative and safe for 93 octane. He mentioned for an extra buffer on track day. I can run 100 octane or mix c16 with 75% 93 to add a "buffer/Safety net" <- his words when planned for heavy Stress on such high boost...

I guess I am just not following the whole "extra boost for track day" thing. I abuse my brakes on track day. I am always shifting near red line day in day out. I expect my tune to handle all situations on or off the track. So what do you do different with your engine on the track that you would not do on the street? On the track you car will see higher temperatures for sure but again I would expect my tune to take that. Getting stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day can cause some high temps too. It is not like you somehow magically turn up the boost on track day.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 AM

And I thought a higher octane fuel will only give you some extra anti-knock properties. Not higher boost.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, my tuner said the same thing. I mentioned road racing to him and he said to run a mix of 100 oct with 93 to "make the engine happier" when I asked him to elaborate he explained that it would help with engine knock and could reduce the risk of detonation.

I have the SOS kit w/ 15 PSI pulley making 440rwhp on 93.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

An "extra buffer" running a little higher octane for track days is a smart idea, and if I had an FI track car I would seriously consider doing this. Putzing around on the street or even highway pulls don't compare to the track when you're beating on it non-stop. Oil temps will be much higher, coolant temps, etc. Oil may get sucked into the combustion chamber being sloshed around if you don't have a good catch can setup (thus lowering the octane). There are many good reasons to run higher octane. There's also a higher possibility of detonation simply due to all the heat and stress.

Adding some race gas here and there to have a slightly higher octane at the track vs. a blown motor is an easy decision. Is it completely necessary? Maybe not. Is it smart? Sure.

I knew many a people trying to hit some magic # on the dyno on pump gas so they could brag about it and inflate their ego. Of course you never hear behind the scenes or down the road when the guy is looking for a new shortblock. I've learned it's smart to play it safe.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:46 AM

this "extra buffer" thing looks like one of those internet myths. Sounds like a good idea but no real evidence that it means anything. I would expect a tuner that was not sure of his tune to say that to a customer. If you ran 100 oct all the time it would be good for him but not for your pocket book. I assume it would not hurt anything.

Do you even know what it means, a high octane number? It is resistance to detonation. To put it another way high octane fuels resist burning, that is how they lower knock, they do not burn as well! Putting race gas in your car without a tune for it will lower you HP and torque.

If you had your tuner tune your car to hit a magic number you should melt a piston for karma sake.

If my tune was not good enough for the track I would not drive the car until it was. The smart thing to do is have a good tune.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/shop-...pump-race-gas/
Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou
this "extra buffer" thing looks like one of those internet myths. Sounds like a good idea but no real evidence that it means anything. I would expect a tuner that was not sure of his tune to say that to a customer. If you ran 100 oct all the time it would be good for him but not for your pocket book. I assume it would not hurt anything.

Do you even know what it means, a high octane number? It is resistance to detonation. To put it another way high octane fuels resist burning, that is how they lower knock, they do not burn as well! Putting race gas in your car without a tune for it will lower you HP and torque.

If you had your tuner tune your car to hit a magic number you should melt a piston for karma sake.

If my tune was not good enough for the track I would not drive the car until it was. The smart thing to do is have a good tune.

In a perfect world I would agree, but the world is not perfect, and tuners are for from infallible. Yes the tune might make a few less hp on race gas (well really, all we're talking about is bumping up the octane a few points), but it'd be unnoticeable for the most part. There are too many extrinsic factors (like getting "bad gas") and other things I mentioned. I used to be of your mindset 10+ yrs ago, and then I saw people blow up their engines and I'm now a realist. S**t happens. Another $30 or so to provide a little extra cushion is a drop in the bucket for a track event and well worth it imo.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by DaGou' timestamp='1452966394' post='23854028

In a perfect world I would agree, but the world is not perfect, and tuners are for from infallible. Yes the tune might make a few less hp on race gas (well really, all we're talking about is bumping up the octane a few points), but it'd be unnoticeable for the most part. There are too many extrinsic factors (like getting "bad gas") and other things I mentioned. I used to be of your mindset 10+ yrs ago, and then I saw people blow up their engines and I'm not a realist. S**t happens. Another $30 or so to provide a little extra cushion is a drop in the bucket for a track event and well worth it imo.
I agree with you that in the real world it cannot hurt. But I think we both drifted away from the OP's point/question. We are talking a little race gas for an insurance policy. He was talking about as a perquisite for running on the track. His post was more like, gee my tune sucks but maybe if i use race gas I can still use the car and even track it sometimes. If I am at the track and they have gas available I would probably put some in however I am not going to haul around cans of VP100 so I can run.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DaGou
Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1453130434' post='23855485
[quote name='DaGou' timestamp='1452966394' post='23854028']

In a perfect world I would agree, but the world is not perfect, and tuners are for from infallible. Yes the tune might make a few less hp on race gas (well really, all we're talking about is bumping up the octane a few points), but it'd be unnoticeable for the most part. There are too many extrinsic factors (like getting "bad gas") and other things I mentioned. I used to be of your mindset 10+ yrs ago, and then I saw people blow up their engines and I'm not a realist. S**t happens. Another $30 or so to provide a little extra cushion is a drop in the bucket for a track event and well worth it imo.
I agree with you that in the real world it cannot hurt. But I think we both drifted away from the OP's point/question. We are talking a little race gas for an insurance policy. He was talking about as a perquisite for running on the track. His post was more like, gee my tune sucks but maybe if i use race gas I can still use the car and even track it sometimes. If I am at the track and they have gas available I would probably put some in however I am not going to haul around cans of VP100 so I can run.
[/quote]
MY question simply was has anyone heard or tried raising there octane a few points with race gas for extra insurance on planned harsh engagement since Im running high psi on a bone stock motor I got my answer thanks.