S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Softstart Fan Controller?

Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Softstart Fan Controller?

Does anyone know of any "softstart" fan controllers that do not rely on an external temperature probe to work? Currently fighting a hesitation/idle drop when my 16" SPAL fan comes on, it's currently wired into a SPAL relay which is wired directly to a braille battery in the trunk. The relay is controlled via the OEM fan1 circuit with a AEM EMS S2. Seems that all the fan controllers on the market are more targeted towards people who are adding electric fans to cars that never had them.

Also looking into upgrading to a SPAL brushless fan which will pull less amps than my current fan but then I would have to wire in PWM fan control.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I thought I put a ford/corvette style pwm conroller on the car. If I remember it was somewhere around the cruise control module.

If it is still set up like mine, there is a pwm signal going from the ecu to the controller almost 100% of the time. There should be a relay there that simply interrupts the pwm signal wire from the ecu to the fan controller.

Ideally you would want X temperature = X fan speed. But there isn't enough resolution with the oem ECT sensor.

There should be a box like this somewhere in there.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thgen
I thought I put a ford/corvette style pwm conroller on the car. If I remember it was somewhere around the cruise control module.

If it is still set up like mine, there is a pwm signal going from the ecu to the controller almost 100% of the time. There should be a relay there that simply interrupts the pwm signal wire from the ecu to the fan controller.

Ideally you would want X temperature = X fan speed. But there isn't enough resolution with the oem ECT sensor.

There should be a box like this somewhere in there.
Yup, it ended up biting the dust a couple weeks ago and I replaced it with a SPAL relay setup, unbeknownst to me there was a very specific reason there was FoMo hardware in a honda.

Now I'm in the position of grabbing another PWM controller from an OEM or finding an aftermarket solution. I've read that I can tune out the hesitation with some additional timing but this fan will blow though a 30a fuse when it's hot out, I'm not sure the alt can handle the inrush current.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by hobbs
Yup, it ended up biting the dust a couple weeks ago and I replaced it with a SPAL relay setup, unbeknownst to me there was a very specific reason there was FoMo hardware in a honda.

Now I'm in the position of grabbing another PWM controller from an OEM or finding an aftermarket solution. I've read that I can tune out the hesitation with some additional timing but this fan will blow though a 30a fuse when it's hot out, I'm not sure the alt can handle the inrush current.

Yeah the startup is a pain. I could never get around it until this controller. I've been using the same controller on 2 heavy duty 11" spal fans and its still doing ok.

I want to say I pulled it out of a 2006-2009 fusion.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I run the spal extreme performance fans and have for many years. And yes you need a soft start fan controller for the fans or the car will stall when the fans kick on.

This is is what I run and it works great but you will have to stick the include temp probe in to the fins of your radiator

constant temperature controllers

also with this you don’t run the spal relay and wiring kit anymore.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Could you just use a small capacitor, kind of like what is used on a home AC unit that starts the fan? It would store the energy and discharge the power quickly to get the fan going and then the normal relay to power would take over.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Could you just use a small capacitor, kind of like what is used on a home AC unit that starts the fan? It would store the energy and discharge the power quickly to get the fan going and then the normal relay to power would take over.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...y-car-1064246/

i tried doing this years ago. Yes it does help but it’s not good enough. The car will still stall sometimes when the fans kick on. Really the sort start controller from Welcome to Delta Current Control is the only solution I found.