S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SPAL Fans on OEM Radiator w/ SOS Kit

Old 04-08-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

A relay is not required for anything lower than the "high" or "extreme power" Spal fans. The low and medium profile fans will be fine on stock wiring. You want a puller fan for your application.

Regarding mounting, there's another solution; these zip-tie-like mounts that go through the front of your radiator between the fins and then zip down on the back. Very cheap but handy solution, I know for a fact LHT was using them before they started selling their radiators with welded-on shrouds with mounting points for the Spal fans.

This is what they look like:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgLW6_D_BwE
Old 04-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Lex

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kyle
A relay is not required for anything lower than the "high" or "extreme power" Spal fans. The low and medium profile fans will be fine on stock wiring. You want a puller fan for your application.

Regarding mounting, there's another solution; these zip-tie-like mounts that go through the front of your radiator between the fins and then zip down on the back. Very cheap but handy solution, I know for a fact LHT was using them before they started selling their radiators with welded-on shrouds with mounting points for the Spal fans.

This is what they look like:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgLW6_D_BwE
Dude this was so helpful! Thanks for the information everyone! Hope this all works out for me!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

i personally think that the zip tie method to mount aftermarket fans is really ghetto and bad. You have to bend the fins of the radiator and with time it will puncture the core and it will leak. I'm no fabricator but its super easy to make proper fan mounts.

you just buy these spal fan mounts and bend them to the oem mount spounts and bolt them up, Its very very easy

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...mount&_sacat=0
Old 04-11-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex
Thanks for your feedback.

Just so I'm clear, are you saying I don't need to run a relay with the SPAL medium or Low Profile fans?

Also, if I change just the fan on the right side (passenger side), which SPAL fan do I get? The puller or pusher fan? That's with me keeping the OEM fan on the left side as you recommended.
you do not need to run a after market relay with the spal low profile or medium profile fans. you use wire them into the the stock connector that you will cut off from you stock fan. But like i said they will flow no better than stock. You need a puller fan. Pusher fans go in front of the radiator on the other side. stock is designed to be a puller style. Pusher fans are no as efficient for cooling but frees up lots of space in the engine bay.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm selling my LHT performance large radiator with SPAL fans and shroud for $300 picked up. Worked great with my SOS SC kit with zero clearance issues. PM me I can send pics if you like
Old 11-03-2021, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhat bringing back from the dead and wanted to add a result...

I had this exact problem since my aftermarket radiator core leaked out and I found an 06 OEM radiator locally with about 90k miles to replace it, totally clean. My LHT SOS air-to-air build had a tube that the OEM fan would not clear. So I transferred my Spal fans to the OEM radiator and used those ties. I also felt uncomfortable with this solution since it's tying to a much thinner core, but I figured it was temporary just to get it home.

As you can see in the pics, it clears everything neatly. The Spals are much lighter than OEM and are plug-n-play, I believe LHT wired it that way. I drove it 20 miles and even gave it a spirited run against a modified Genesis... Everything was solid

Last edited by mgfloCR; 11-03-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 11-03-2021, 12:38 PM

I also wanted to add that the aftermarket core leak was NOT caused by the tie. You can see in the radiator pic with the back of the ties, the lower right hand corner of the radiator is discolored in green from the leak. The leak wasn't coming anywhere from the tie. The fans were completely dry when the radiator gave out.

Last edited by mgfloCR; 11-03-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Can I ask which Spal fans those are? What size? 14"?
Old 11-12-2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSorin
Can I ask which Spal fans those are? What size? 14"?
Both are 12", VA10-AP50/C-25A

And here's the hole on the core, you can see the opening is outward so the core had failed in the corner here.

​​​​​

Last edited by mgfloCR; 11-12-2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Adding radiator leak pics