S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

When to change titanium retainers?

Old 07-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
I am with David on this one. I think the safest plan of attack is going to be a thorough cleaning of your garage, degreasing the car from top to bottom before pulling in, and once in make sure you close off all entrances using plastic dividers. Once you get the engine entirely out, which you definitely will need to do, tear it down, make a very detailed parts list, contact the manufacturers of each individual component, demand the metallurgy findings for each component, and if they don't have them, send each component out to a respected member in the field of metallurgy. Before you do that make sure you vet the people you are sending the parts to in order to verify their training and experience. That's what I would suggest starting with. If you need more info on the steps after I can chime back in.
This situation is getting awfully close to "online bullying" territory. S2ki members in particular are quick to act on posts that could be interpreted as bullying so I wouldn't be surprised if dudes post is removed in the near future. This guy posted a fully informed comment via expert youtube knowledge like thousands of other members have and he used video evidence before just like many of other s2ki members are guilty of doing. S2ki really needs to make up it's mind as to whether these kinds of posts are ok because right now the general consensus is that in nineteen ninety eight the undertaker threw mankind off hеll in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Or we can all just keep things in perspective instead of calling the internet/s2ki police and realize that there is helpful feedback and then there is clear overwhelming information for the sake of self indulgence, half of which doesn't even relate to the immediate issue at hand, so expect some rolling eyes and goofy feedback (this is also an entertainment website) If the posters who regularly do this don't like it, Id suggest to them to try sweetening up the point or expect some less then favorable comments. There are some knowledgeable people in here, but some of them would better serve themselves and the people they are trying to help by staying on track and your track record in time will prove how smart you are at troubleshooting - IF that's the motive in providing a full page history lesson response to a one sentence question.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Or we can all just keep things in perspective instead of calling the internet/s2ki police and realize that there is helpful feedback and then there is clear overwhelming information for the sake of self indulgence, half of which doesn't even relate to the immediate issue at hand, so expect some rolling eyes and goofy feedback (this is also an entertainment website) If the posters who regularly do this don't like it, Id suggest to them to try sweetening up the point or expect some less then favorable comments. There are some knowledgeable people in here, but some of them would better serve themselves and the people they are trying to help by staying on track and your track record in time will prove how smart you are at troubleshooting - IF that's the motive in providing a full page history lesson response to a one sentence question.
you clearly missed the hell in a cell meme troll...it's okay. lol
Old 07-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Charper732
you clearly missed the hell in a cell meme troll...it's okay. lol
Guess so
Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oops, i made this post while.. drunk. thats normally when i find time to play online lol...

update: the engine is out and i have all the parts labeled and placed according to size. whats the next step?

lol, seriously.. let me ask a more direct question:

1: can i just pull the valve cover and look to see if they are too sunk? or do i actually need to put air in the cyl, pull the cams etc to see?

2: does having JUST titanium retainers give me any RPM safety advantage over stock AP2 retainers and keepers? hitting rev limiter, miss shifts, etc?

thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by yamaha6611
1: can i just pull the valve cover and look to see if they are too sunk? or do i actually need to put air in the cyl, pull the cams etc to see?

2: does having JUST titanium retainers give me any RPM safety advantage over stock AP2 retainers and keepers? hitting rev limiter, miss shifts, etc?

thanks!
1. Yes you can see the valve stems and top of keepers with just a valve cover removal. The issue is Ti are brittle, and my fear would unlike OEM is when they fail they fail entirely. I also dont know without looking at yours what they should look like since they are no longer oem.

2.No, Ti is lighter than steel, so its a performance upgrade not a reliability one. Nothing beats the reliability of OEM ap2 retainers. If you are running after market more aggressive lift cams then you are likely running aftermarket heavier dual valve spring and the corresponding aftermarket Ti retainers are paired to work with those. If your not running aftermarket cams then I highly suggest you return back to stock valve springs/retainers and keepers.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 AM
HPC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious for Ti users here, at what point did you see your titanium retainers sink/have problems?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:11 PM

thanks !!!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
1. Yes you can see the valve stems and top of keepers with just a valve cover removal. The issue is Ti are brittle, and my fear would unlike OEM is when they fail they fail entirely. I also dont know without looking at yours what they should look like since they are no longer oem.

2.No, Ti is lighter than steel, so its a performance upgrade not a reliability one. Nothing beats the reliability of OEM ap2 retainers. If you are running after market more aggressive lift cams then you are likely running aftermarket heavier dual valve spring and the corresponding aftermarket Ti retainers are paired to work with those. If your not running aftermarket cams then I highly suggest you return back to stock valve springs/retainers and keepers.
You can't properly answer #1 without knowing what grade the Ti is. In my experience with Ti valves and retainers. They don't just straight up fail from fatigue without deformation. Ti is generally softer than the steel parts they replace there for they will deform before they break, thus, when disassembling the keepers from the valves/retainers it will bind up if there is deformation.

Just to clarify that #2. Running ti retainers by themselves does not give a safety margin, the increased safety margin comes from the higher spring rate of the valve springs.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Perfect, thanks