The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

today was dyno day!

Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 23 2005, 10:21 PM
Dynapacks serve a purpose, you can tune on a dynapack more realistically because you can do rpm load holds. You can't do that on a dynojet or a mustang dyno. That is why most tuners have started to move away from non-loading dynos. Dynapacks, DynoDynamics dynos, have more consistency and repeatability. They cost more for a reason. If you just want to do a peak run dyno and tune only for WOT then Dynojets are your bet. But if you are doing it on a street driven car which would be more ideal?

Exactly. The fact is that people these days are way too concerned with a max power number. I'd hands down use a dynapack to TUNE a car. Who cares whether it reads 180 or 200 HP at the beginning if you're just using it to get an idea if modifications / tuning settings are adding, or removing horsepower?

Not to hijack the thread
Old 10-24-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice numbers!!!! Where did you dyno it and how much did they charge??? What are you using to adjust AFR?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dyno'd at fast specialties in vancouver washington. 60 bucks for two pulls, but i got 5 pulls for 60 cause the tech there was amazed by my car. they are great people and they love anything that goes fast. i.e they dont hate imports! ha! i am not adjusting my afr, that numbers is on the factory ecu. i would like to get a mugen or spoon ecu but nobody will give me much info on these two products. good to hear from you wyatt, cant wait to see your car when shes done!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 23 2005, 05:21 PM
Dynapacks serve a purpose, you can tune on a dynapack more realistically because you can do rpm load holds. You can't do that on a dynojet or a mustang dyno. That is why most tuners have started to move away from non-loading dynos. Dynapacks, DynoDynamics dynos, have more consistency and repeatability. They cost more for a reason. If you just want to do a peak run dyno and tune only for WOT then Dynojets are your bet. But if you are doing it on a street driven car which would be more ideal?
i see where your coming from in terms of tuning a car, but to see what peak Hp is i still go with a dyno jet (like version, no tiuning just numbers). How ever i lack to see the point of using a non-loading dyno to tune. My tuner, who is AEM factory trained does the entire car on the street/garage thats why i lack to see the point of using a dynapack, why do you need hp numbers to tune?? we tune for 100% safety/what the motor likes with in safe limits.To do this i should mention that we use a Tech Edge wideband 02, it retails for $2K the sensor it self for 700.- its scarey accurate. The harness used in it has resistors all the way through it so each wire is perfectly matched the harness goes for 800 by it self. Im not saying money=greatness, but for the majority of this indusrty "you get what you pay for" typically apllies. The thing i like most about tuning with out a dyno is that you dont run into a greedy tuner who will sacrifice safety for power. Im sure this idea of street tuning will make most very sceptical but my tuner is absolutely great, he has tune many of my freinds cars perfectly, including my frinds turbo S2K which is the fastest in the US right now at an 11.3. It has 1000cc injectors and runs like stock its fabulous!

just my thoughts,
-matt
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white_S2000@16,Oct 25 2005, 10:14 AM
i see where your coming from in terms of tuning a car, but to see what peak Hp is i still go with a dyno jet (like version, no tiuning just numbers). How ever i lack to see the point of using a non-loading dyno to tune. My tuner, who is AEM factory trained does the entire car on the street/garage thats why i lack to see the point of using a dynapack, why do you need hp numbers to tune?? we tune for 100% safety/what the motor likes with in safe limits.To do this i should mention that we use a Tech Edge wideband 02, it retails for $2K the sensor it self for 700.- its scarey accurate. The harness used in it has resistors all the way through it so each wire is perfectly matched the harness goes for 800 by it self. Im not saying money=greatness, but for the majority of this indusrty "you get what you pay for" typically apllies. The thing i like most about tuning with out a dyno is that you dont run into a greedy tuner who will sacrifice safety for power. Im sure this idea of street tuning will make most very sceptical but my tuner is absolutely great, he has tune many of my freinds cars perfectly, including my frinds turbo S2K which is the fastest in the US right now at an 11.3. It has 1000cc injectors and runs like stock its fabulous!

just my thoughts,
-matt
Please let me know how you tune a turbo car on the street. On a dyno you can simulate load for as long as you want and keep the car in every "window" of the fule map for as long as you want. SO you can have for exs. 40%load at 8000rpm. Try this at the street
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM

do an extent we do what you are saying, the reall trick is to be good at math. You can get a fuel map about 60 to 70% right after you set up idle and know the AFR at idle, if you know the math. i understand you were just giving an example, but why do you need to hold a car a 40% load at 8K rpm, when you can hold it a 40% load at 4K or 6K rpm?? it comes down to how you want to go about tuning a car, there are multiple ways to get to the same end result.

-matt
Old 01-18-2006, 08:00 PM

good #'s