S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Where do i start with racing harness and bar?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mirabileboy
ya he bought this last one with this new steering wheel usually not his taste but for some reason he wants to keep it, and he only wants racing seats because he is a perfectionist and his drivers seat has some wear on it and he can't find any mint stock seats to replace it (i mean there can't be anything wrong with it… super anal) very helpful guys, thanks you! that looks like his wheel in the picture with the red seats…

so if he does get seats the stock belt is prob best is what I'm getting from this?

- i know I'm on his username… guess he signed on my computer too lol
Haha.

That would be my recommendation. But really.. If he didn't get the seat for driving purposes (the main benefit of a racing bucket is how snugly it holds you in around corners and under hard braking and so on) the stock seats will likely be much more comfortable and easier to deal with in the long run.

Bravo to you by the way for doing more research than most S2000 owners due themselves when getting a new part for their car.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
He needs a full roll bar if he's getting race seats and harnesses or else he could get decapitated in a roll over with a non-flexible one piece race seat. So no easy solution.
I believe the stock roll hoops and windshield brace is enough to prevent serious injury when using a racing seat. The problem as mentioned above is mounting a racing harness without a roll bar. I would recommend he keep the stock seat belt with his racing seats unless he's willing to install a roll bar.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's probably correct, but never know how tall he is and/or the rake of the seat back. In a rollover the A-pillar does flatten out some.

For the OP, have him get his seats reupholstered for cheap. There are aftermarket seat kits (Clazzio?) to do so. Heck, a bunch of guys on this site have stock airbag and steering wheels for sale...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
There are some cars that have come from the factory with fixed buckets and no airbag that use 3 point belts, like the NSX-R.
Keep in mind that there is a huge difference of a car's safety provisions being designed around fixed bucket seats and then having aftermarket ones installed. As several have pointed out, most OEM seat belts don't lay correctly for aftermarket fixed seats. I personally would recommend against using a fixed seat with OEM seat belts if it didn't already come that way.

There are other options though... There are "race-like" seats out there which will provide better support without the possible safety implications of using a fixed back seat. Seats like the Recaro Speed, Sparco R505, etc..
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the thing I'm worried about is i don't think he is changing his steering wheel so he won't have an air bag and my friends who track say that he should have harnesses if he doesn't have an air bag… is this false?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this thread is about done here in Racing and Competition. We've given recommendations as a favor (since the car and driver won't see any track time or competition).

Old cars don't have airbags. Airbags are safer. Harnesses are safer if you have a helmet. Who knows what they do in a race seat with an unrestrained head. There's a reason why we recommend HANS (head and neck restraints) with harnesses and helmets.

Tell him to get on track and stop posing as a racer / ricer or get some proper street safety equipment.

Someone wanting a "cool race seat" because their side bolsters are worn and will never see any track time. Not really a Racing and Competition discussion. Moving to S2000 interiors.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey different strokes for different folks but thank you for the help, lots of great info, very helpful!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mirabileboy
ya he bought this last one with this new steering wheel usually not his taste but for some reason he wants to keep it, and he only wants racing seats because he is a perfectionist and his drivers seat has some wear on it and he can't find any mint stock seats to replace it (i mean there can't be anything wrong with it… super anal) very helpful guys, thanks you! that looks like his wheel in the picture with the red seats…

so if he does get seats the stock belt is prob best is what I'm getting from this?

- i know I'm on his username… guess he signed on my computer too lol
Using race seats, because he can't find stock seats, is really not true. There are plenty of nice seats out there from people who have created track cars. If he still has the original seats, many places can recover them so they look like new, or even better.

Stock steering wheels and airbags are also available.

I'd echo that street cars should stIck with stock safety systems. They are engineered to work together.

Really just want to see both of you be safe