S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

2002 interlock clutch bypass question

Old 11-17-2021, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 interlock clutch bypass question

Did the bypass and notice that my cruise control doesn't work. Is this related to the bypass?
Old 11-17-2021, 06:50 AM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

In an unmodified car, what does cruise control do if you press clutch while its engaged? It doesn't rev the engine to redline, right? It backs off throttle until you release clutch.

With bypass in place, now the car thinks clutch is always depressed. So cruise will 'activate', it just won't engage throttle until it sees you release the clutch (which is now impossible). So basically no cc anymore.

If instead of using a wire, you bypass with another switch, cc won't be affected.

I used brake pedal switch, there is a diy thread. Cruise still works (it disengages with brake anyway, so nothing lost here), clutch still works to start car (think tire tech, etc), but for the majority of starts, and virtually all cold starts, you can use brake instead, leave clutch untouched.

Car now sees clutch pedal, or brake pedal, as clutch pedal presses (brake pedal it sees as both pedals pressed at same time).

Since there is no functionality that depends on clutch down but not brake, this means of bypass doesn't interfere with anything.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the interlock bypassed on my 2002 and cruise works fine.

You may have bypassed the wrong connector or the cruise cutoff switch is not being activated.
There are two switches on the clutch pedal, the top one for start interlock and the bottom for cruise cut-off.
I bypassed my clutch interlock using a just a diode as I had one handy, but it can be jumped with a simple wire. Only the yellow connector should be jumped.

#1 is the interlock - the switch makes a connection when the clutch pedal is fully pressed.
#2 is the cruise cutoff switch - it makes a connection as soon as the clutch is moved from "fully-out"/resting position.

Make sure #2 is plugged in using the whiteish connector and that the little off-white rubber 'pad' (bottom of my picture, under the threaded part of switch #2) is still attached to the clutch pedal arm and is fully pressing in the little black nub which comes out of the bottom of the switch.

I don't think it's necessary to run wires to the brake pedal switch to bypass the clutch start interlock though it does add another layer of safety.

My reason being this car's cruise system cannot "see" that the interlock switch is activated, the CC system is not wired to the interlock switch. The interlock is only wired between ground and the starter cut relay, not to any type of brain-box.
The CC system is only aware of the clutch cutoff switch (#2) which should not have its operation changed by bypassing the interlock switch (#1).
Even though the clutch pedal is technically "seen" as fully depressed all the time when the interlock is bypassed, the only system which reacts to this is the starter cut relay as that's how it's directly wired.

The following users liked this post:
Feezy (11-22-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 11:27 AM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyds
I have the interlock bypassed on my 2002 and cruise works fine.

You may have bypassed the wrong connector or the cruise cutoff switch is not being activated.
There are two switches on the clutch pedal, the top one for start interlock and the bottom for cruise cut-off.
I bypassed my clutch interlock using a just a diode as I had one handy, but it can be jumped with a simple wire. Only the yellow connector should be jumped.

#1 is the interlock - the switch makes a connection when the clutch pedal is fully pressed.
#2 is the cruise cutoff switch - it makes a connection as soon as the clutch is moved from "fully-out"/resting position.

Make sure #2 is plugged in using the whiteish connector and that the little off-white rubber 'pad' (bottom of my picture, under the threaded part of switch #2) is still attached to the clutch pedal arm and is fully pressing in the little black nub which comes out of the bottom of the switch.

I don't think it's necessary to run wires to the brake pedal switch to bypass the clutch start interlock though it does add another layer of safety.

My reason being this car's cruise system cannot "see" that the interlock switch is activated, the CC system is not wired to the interlock switch. The interlock is only wired between ground and the starter cut relay, not to any type of brain-box.
The CC system is only aware of the clutch cutoff switch (#2) which should not have its operation changed by bypassing the interlock switch (#1).
Even though the clutch pedal is technically "seen" as fully depressed all the time when the interlock is bypassed, the only system which reacts to this is the starter cut relay as that's how it's directly wired.

This is correct. The only thing the clutch interlock switch does is provide a GND to the starter cut relay and ACC cut relay allowing them to activate. It has nothing to do with cruise control.

On a side note, using a diode isn't necessary and will reduce the voltage across the relay coils by .7V. Probably wont make a difference, but its not necessary.

As for the OP's question, I agree with mikeyds on making sure the correct connector was jumped. Also there are white stoppers that become brittle and break over time. When one of them breaks, the switch that does trigger the cruise control doesn't get depressed. Its #13 in the pic below.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:04 PM

Received 1,202 Likes on 932 Posts

Yep, the main reason some wired the clutch bypass to the brake pedal is to add a layer of safety, so you have to still at least depress the brake to start the car in the chance you forget to take it out of gear. Of course you could just barely depress it and it would do little good, but still reminds you to do something before starting in the case you are worried you will forget.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like the wrong switch is bypassed. It's the upper one which you do need to remove the lower one to gain easy access to.

It could be someone switched them before as well so you might have to do some playing with it to get it right.