S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

airbox mod

Old 04-15-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Sort of. I've done that in the past, and it doesn't actually effect the response of the engine, it just makes the throttle more sensitive to being on/off which I don't find much value in, and sometimes I found annoying. Having a tad of free play in the throttle pedal isn't such a bad thing. Especially if your big footed.
I hear you. I'm a size 10, sometimes 11 depending on cut so I'm fairly light-footed and don't mind having about 2-4mm deflection in my cable which is where I believe it may be now. Once you're on the throttle then slack has been eliminated and its all instantaneous from there as you said
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
That there AUT radiator cooling plate looks like a nice affordable option, vs the expensive Spoon/J's snorkel. Unless there's a good replica of the Spoon/J's snorkel.
I too am interested in a good replica spoon snorkel, preferably not carbon fiber...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hand banana
I too am interested in a good replica spoon snorkel, preferably not carbon fiber...
baero.tech might 3D print you one. User roel03 is his user name on here.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
baero.tech might 3D print you one. User roel03 is his user name on here.
lol funny you mention that, i actually messaged him right after i posted this, he said hes going to get around to designing one
Old 05-27-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok, notwithstanding my somewhat negative comments above, I have a used oem air box on the way from a member part out. I'll try the air box mod. Just for fun. I'll be able to slap my original box back in if I don't like it.

I'm not expecting anything of consequence except sound. I remain unsure if I really want to be attracting attention with sound. But, what the heck - I'll give it a whirl.

Bro-Bob: how the heck do you fit that power tool in the box? Does the bade angle rotate so you can hold the tool vertically while cutting?

Maybe I'm paranoid? But, with a stock ecu in an ap1 - is there any concern that increasing the air flow, (which this simple mod does not seem to do), would lean out the mixture and and burn valves?

Last edited by rpg51; 05-27-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Ok, notwithstanding my somewhat negative comments above, I have a used oem air box on the way from a member part out. I'll try the air box mod. Just for fun. I'll be able to slap my original box back in if I don't like it.

I'm not expecting anything of consequence except sound. I remain unsure if I really want to be attracting attention with sound. But, what the heck - I'll give it a whirl.

Bro-Bob: how the heck do you fit that power tool in the box? Does the bade angle rotate so you can hold the tool vertically while cutting?

Maybe I'm paranoid? But, with a stock ecu in an ap1 - is there any concern that increasing the air flow, (which this simple mod does not seem to do), would lean out the mixture and and burn valves?
The cars runs so rich in factory form you could not lean it out enough with an intake mod. With intake, header, exhaust, throttle body upgrade I was still leaning out the fuel mixture at WOT to gain more power and get the air fuel ratios 12-13:1 range. Before I got my fuel/vtec controller it was running super rich with the four above listed mods. So no worries on your end.
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Okeedokee. One less thing to worry about.
Along these paranoid lines, yesterday I was driving to work on my back country route. I started to smell something. Smelled like coolant boiling off something. Looked at my temp gauge - normal. No signs of anything that could cause it. I was worried but I kept going. As soon as the pick up in front of me turned off on a side road the smell disappeared.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Okeedokee. One less thing to worry about.
Along these paranoid lines, yesterday I was driving to work on my back country route. I started to smell something. Smelled like coolant boiling off something. Looked at my temp gauge - normal. No signs of anything that could cause it. I was worried but I kept going. As soon as the pick up in front of me turned off on a side road the smell disappeared.
Lol...

Awaiting your feedback on the airbox mod. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm thinking of getting a extra lid for the stock air filter box and cut a 6" hole in it. Mount a ring so I can put this on it
Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps - Intakehoses.com Rubber Elbow 6" ID X 90 Degree Short Radius
Run a small hose from the lid to inside of the car to a pressure/vacuum gauge to see if I get any positive pressure at speed.
I'll have to block the stock opening to the air box so as to not let the air go anywhere but into the filter, also will do this with my hood off.
I'f I had a junk hood I'd cut a hole in it with a matching hole in the air box opening, with a seal so as the hood closes it seals up the lid to the hood.
Add a hood scoop to finish it by getting the coldest air possible to the engine.

ROD
Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

The hood had a brace that would interfere with a 6" scoop mounted directly above airbox. You'd have to hack the hood significantly. Maybe an aftermarket hood would be easier to mod this way.

Such a proof of concept test, hoodless, would prove interesting. Definitely in for results!

Quick Reply: airbox mod