S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Catch can help (closed loop)

Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 1,248 Likes on 945 Posts
Default Catch can help (closed loop)

I am looking to do a new closed loop catch can setup.

I want to "catch" both, PCV and breather. As we know...the stock PCV is plumed to manifold vacuum...and the stock breather is plumbed into ported (intake arm) vacuum.

Is m only "good" choice to use 2 cans for this?

If I use a single, 3 port can instead, should I plumb the suction tube to ported vacuum (intake arm), or manifold vacuum (manifold port)?

For space reasons, 1 can is preferrable to me, but I can make double cans work.

Also, what's out there? I don't need one with a specific mount for S2000's or one that is incredibly complex. I have my own mounting spot picked out...and I can design my own laser cut mount.

I saw Mishimoto makes a decent design. Anything else I should look at?

Info:
-MY 00.
-N/A
-Stock engine
-Track and street use.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I would route both vents to the intake arm but remove the PCV valve and put a straight thru 90 degree fitting in there instead.
If you get a double can setup you can keep the PCV valve and keep the stock routing.
I got doubts on how effective the baffling is on the Mishimoto but I haven't tested them myself.
Saikou Michi Co. Home makes nice ones, both S2000 specific setups and custom setups.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're looking for a closed system design, go with the Saikou Michi catchcan... its hard to beat.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 AM

^Thanks! That is a nice design. Its totally sealed, though. The filter is non-serviceable.

I like that the mishimoto filter is serviceable.

I'll have to call the SM guys up and see how long their filter media tends to last....or if it ever needs cleaning.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just vent it to the atmosphere? I vent it to the atmosphere and emissions doesnt know the difference and passed emissions for the past like 6 years. The crank doesnt need to be under pressure. People straight up remove the pcv and stick a mini cone filter on the pvc inlet and then run the line that would connect to the pcv into a catch can or some that arent environmentally friendly just dump it straight to the floor. Could be dangerous if oil gets on a wheel but eh its their choice.

The best race oil catch can!
If you scroll down about half way you'll see what I'm talking about. You can put a filter on the pcv and then run the pcv hose into a catch can and then run the hose that would run into the intake arm into the catch can and you have a good set up to catch any oil that would other wise be sent into the throttle body/intake manifold to be burned.

Why do you want to have a catch can anyways? If your burning oil it wont help unless your pcv was clogged from the beginning. If your rings are perfect and the oil being burned is coming from the crank to the intake hose to the throttle body to the intake manifold to the cylinders, that oil that will be "burned" will just be sent to the catch can. If your "burning" a quart every 1000k miles would you remember to empty it every 1000k or rather have it be burned off? If your burning oil most likely through the rings which means oil is burning in the cylinder so nothing will be in your catch can but some water.

Catch cans work great for collecting moisture tho. Ethanol is nearly in all of our gas now and it is alcohol and absorbs moisture. The catch can will catch the "vaper" fumes and condense them. I thought it would help with oil consumption but eh some s2k's just burn oil and theres nothing you can do about it. All my catch can caught was some moisture and after research I spent 200 bucks and spent a week finding the right set up for me and a day installing it to catch fackin water man.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
Why not just vent it to the atmosphere? I vent it to the atmosphere and emissions doesnt know the difference and passed emissions for the past like 6 years. The crank doesnt need to be under pressure. People straight up remove the pcv and stick a mini cone filter on the pvc inlet and then run the line that would connect to the pcv into a catch can or some that arent environmentally friendly just dump it straight to the floor. Could be dangerous if oil gets on a wheel but eh its their choice.

The best race oil catch can!
If you scroll down about half way you'll see what I'm talking about. You can put a filter on the pcv and then run the pcv hose into a catch can and then run the hose that would run into the intake arm into the catch can and you have a good set up to catch any oil that would other wise be sent into the throttle body/intake manifold to be burned.

Why do you want to have a catch can anyways? If your burning oil it wont help unless your pcv was clogged from the beginning. If your rings are perfect and the oil being burned is coming from the crank to the intake hose to the throttle body to the intake manifold to the cylinders, that oil that will be "burned" will just be sent to the catch can. If your "burning" a quart every 1000k miles would you remember to empty it every 1000k or rather have it be burned off? If your burning oil most likely through the rings which means oil is burning in the cylinder so nothing will be in your catch can but some water.

Catch cans work great for collecting moisture tho. Ethanol is nearly in all of our gas now and it is alcohol and absorbs moisture. The catch can will catch the "vaper" fumes and condense them. I thought it would help with oil consumption but eh some s2k's just burn oil and theres nothing you can do about it. All my catch can caught was some moisture and after research I spent 200 bucks and spent a week finding the right set up for me and a day installing it to catch fackin water man.
I want a catch can for track use. Hard right handers cause a huge plume of smoke from sloshing oil being breathed in.

My car doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil besides the above situation.

You can not just use a cone filter on your breather/PCV outlets. The oil spray from crank ventilation will end up everywhere, all over your engine bay and windshield, etc. The spray is also flammable. So...hopefully it doesn't end up on the header.

In my case...when the oil sloshes into the breather on hard right hand turns, if I just had a breather filter, it would be a significant amount of oil dump.

I know because I tried using a breather filter as an experiment. I wanted to know where the eff all the oil was coming from. It was everywhere, my friend.

Reasons for closed loop:
I also dislike the smell of crankcase vent fumes.

I would also like to vacuum assist the fume evacuation process instead of pressuring the crank case.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Radium cans are very good aswell.